Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another multimonitor question!

Hi

I just found out about MediaCar, as I am currently looking into the possiblilites on car media. But there is one thing that I "must" have
    Can MediaCar be setup or modded in a way so that I can maintain the grand interface on one LCD and at the same time run video on another or on both (all three)? See image, for better explanation:

Click image for larger version.

Now I am not a programmer so I cannot write custom code.
    Does this already exist, maybe for other Car Media Packages?? Or will it have to be developed first? This may already be in the software, but I couldnt really find anything. PLz help!

Best regards

Peter Skotte
    Denmark

I know if you want the same image on multiple screens you can just use multiple video cards. Although for what your talking about I'd think maybe you could run 2 systems where one can do remote procedures for the other via ethernet, usb, bluetooth, or something similar?

Comment

The reply is in the powerfull X server
      This differential display is what i will use with my setup...

Comment

Well, what I need is a frontend like MediaCar to handle the stuff. It's kids stuff to get multiple monitors working etc etc. But getting the SW to do the right thing is another matter!
        In the configfile there is a setting for the placement of MC on the desktop:
        [General]
        OriginalWidth =848
        OriginalHeight=480
        ShowWidth =848
        ShowHeight =480
        XPosition =0
        YPosition =0
        Now, if there was just one separate entry for the video playback and one for the GUI then it would be a walk in the park. Because the graphics card with dual head would just be a horisontal span, and you would tell the app to load video at XPosition =849 and YPosition =0 and the GUI at 0,0

Example:
        [General]
        OriginalWidth =848
        OriginalHeight=480
        ShowWidth =848
        ShowHeight =480
        XPosition =0
        YPosition =0
        [Video]
        OriginalWidth =848
        OriginalHeight=480
        ShowWidth =848
        ShowHeight =480
        XPosition =849
        YPosition =0
        I hope you get my idea!

Regards

Peter

Comment

that is brilliant!

Comment

imho there's no need writing anything as the X server remembers the windows positions. With one or dual head

Comment

Originally posted by BoraXP
              that is brilliant!
              ...but I don't how to do it, or if it possible at all!

Anyone?

Regards

Peter

Comment

skotte,

This feature will be available in AIMEE (when it's released!)

Timeframe for AIMEE's release is probably about 3 months.

Garry
                Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                www.aimee.cc

Comment

Try to have a look at this at least it could give you some elements to deal with a dual head card.
                  Not so hard to do...
                  http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg02303.html
                  They are many other references in google just pick the one which will fit to your hardware needs

At the condition you are using linux, the file to be modified is located in
                  /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

or depending of your distro in /etc/X11/XF86Config

Comment

Originally posted by kraft
                    imho there's no need writing anything as the X server remembers the windows positions. With one or dual head
                    Could you elaborate on the X server setup. What system, software configuration would this be?
                    Isn't X server linux/unix native and MediaCar windows software? So how does that mix up?

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Well i know that at least there is headunit for linux http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=227586 ported to windows too
                      isn't that MediaCar like system ?

For the X server you have all the needed script in the link i gave you but anyway if you don't like to deal with it tell me what hardware you have as display card i will try to give you a frame to play with according to your screens.

Comment

What about nView with Dual Display?
                        It's working for me!!

Comment

Originally posted by DjBac
                          What about nView with Dual Display?
                          It's working for me!!
                          Well, that was kinda why I made the images. If you look at the pic there is a dual head graphics card, so thats the easy part!
                          But what I want is the app (be that whatever media package) to run the front-end (navigation, buttons, volume ctrl etc etc) on one output. THEN run for example movies on the other output which is the split in two with Y-cable to enable one LCD in each neck-rest. So the HW is already there...

But can / will for MediaCar (or any other car package) be able to play movies on a secondary display (its the same desktop cause Nvidia utilzes horizontal spanning) so it actually just on a part of the desktop. Please see my example further up this thread.

But thanks for joining in.

Regards

Peter

Comment

SimpleDVD has an option to display the video on a particular screen. You could just use the dual head car and when SimpleDVD starts it would display the dvd on the headrest screens.
                            EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

nvidia cards allow you to send video to a particular screen automatically
                              www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X