Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native D3, Mapmonkey SDK or FreeDrive SDK ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native D3, Mapmonkey SDK or FreeDrive SDK ?

What should i begin integrating in NMC ?

- a self coded frontend to D3 ?

- using MapMonkey with SDK ?

- using FreeDrive with SDK ?

Let me know your opinion, i need help to decide
    NS - neocar suite
    -----------------
    http://www.neocarmediacenter.com

For me D3 or MapMonkey, with a slight preference for MM.
    Car : Hyundai Tucson
    Carpc :
    Lilliput 7" touchscreen indash 90% done
    PSU : M2-ATX
    Epia M10K /512DDR/80GB Maxtor
    Software : Windows XP Pro 100% done
    RR with DigitalFX skin
    In car : 80% done

Comment

FreeDrive

: Jetway J7F2 1.5Ghz Mainboard : Cubid 3688 : CarNetix CNX-P1260 :
      : Netgear 802.11g PCMCIA : 2 x LinITX 7" Screens :
      : BU353 USB GPS Mouse : Panasonic UJ845 DVDRW :

Comment

I would say it depends for what. If you plan to add D3 to NMS I would suggest you to code very simple support yourself directly. Thus you would not have to care about possible bugs/incompatibilities/design issues between NMC and FreeDrive/MapMonkey.
        I do not think most of users require more then simple navigation from A to B. I mean speed, ETA/ETR info, POI's and such stuff is nice but... so I do not think it will be hard to code. At least CDR has learned VB6 on FreeDrive and it works

Comment

The best advantage using FreeDrive or MapMonkey: that's a big bunch of functions that i don't have to recode, and this is more time to begin and complete other functions.

Advantage of coding directly: better integration, perhaps more features, but LOT of time to code

I think i'll start with MapMonkey or FreeDrive, but i cant decide...
          NS - neocar suite
          -----------------

Comment

Mapmonkey has the speed cameras already.

Freedrive actually looks diferent and I quite like what he is try to do.

Why not have both and give the user the option. And then code your own later.

Comment

Just setup special GPS pointer for the external programs and have a option of selecting which gps you want.

I like just having the MM or freedrive embeded maybe what you can do is have different support for the GPS so it has diff buttons on the GPS screen and has the option to hide and not quit the app.

just a thought no use making it yourself cause ppl will use MM or freedrive if there is basic d3 support in NMC.
              CarPC Status:
              GPS: 99%
              Hardware: 99%
              Software: 92%
              Case Install: 99.9%
              Dash Install: 100%
              Car Install: 72%

Comment

well I've nearly finished FreeDrives SDK, just got a couple more things to do.. couple of days and it should be done. It uses the same SDK format as RoadRunner..

CdR
                Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

I find MM has more functionality as Freedrive (sorry CDR, no offence). Must say I only threw a quick eye at Freedrive. When finding time I'll try it out more in depth ( but finding time these days ...)
                  Car : Hyundai Tucson
                  Carpc :
                  Lilliput 7" touchscreen indash 90% done
                  PSU : M2-ATX
                  Epia M10K /512DDR/80GB Maxtor
                  Software : Windows XP Pro 100% done
                  RR with DigitalFX skin
                  In car : 80% done

Comment

Originally posted by gyro
                    I find MM has more functionality as Freedrive (sorry CDR, no offence). Must say I only threw a quick eye at Freedrive. When finding time I'll try it out more in depth ( but finding time these days ...)
                    Hey no offence taken m8.. I agree with you ! The one thing FreeDrive can offer is the ablilty to be alittle more skinable and touchscreen friendly, but I havent added speed cams yet, thats really the last thing left to do. I do have afew other idea.. but we shall see. I would wait till version 0.5 is released its far better than the current public 0.4 version.

CdR
                    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

@netsuo

If you wish to use FreeDrive's SDK (basically the same as RR's), feel free to use the SDK code from RR in your project for that purpose.. I have example codes in VB6 and Delphi -- it's readily available in RR's source code. I don't take any offense (or pride for that matter) in cooperation with your project.. it's just that I know we're both working towards the same goal: improving the carpc environment at no cost ... so I'd be more than glad to help in what I can ..
                      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                      "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Hey, guino. Thanks for your support. I'll probably take a look at your SDK

If you want, i have made a improved "container" control, same use as your "RRConfig" scroller container but entirely resizable and with "dynamic" scrollbars. I can send it to you if your'e interested
                        NS - neocar suite
                        -----------------

Comment

wow.. this must be a 1st

two frontend coders helping each other.. crist

nar.. I must be dreaming..

Hats off to you both :-)
                          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Sure, why not ? I'd be interested.. as long as you're ok with having it in RR's source code.. I'd add your credits in any case ..

Right now that RRConfig is just a "temporary" solution to make confugiration a little easier .. the idea is to make something more touchscreen friendly later..

If I can help on anything on your project (SDK or not), just let me know...
                            Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                            "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

If CDR adds speedcams to freedrive then I would say integrate freedrive (with SDK so we can pull data on any skin file like current street/current speed, etc, and also NMC buttons that do functions in FreeDrive)...

Freedrive has a much more skinned interface, including the navigate-to screens...all skinned, which are really bad to use in MM due to the lack of skinning in that portion of the program.

Please CDR get the SDK rolling+speed cams then we can ALL use free drive! It also seems to be lighter than MM in some respects, but maybe it is just my impression...

My idea would be to have a freedrive skin that is almost completely empty basically map only, and have all buttons in NMC skin... the exception to this would be the address chooser/poi chooser screens... also I think it would be best if we can use the OSK from NMC (this doesnt really work in MM's setup because the OSK covers up the entry screen or looses the correct text-box focus)...
                              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                              Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Working...
                              X