This is an awesome front end, and here is why:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an awesome front end, and here is why:

I will probably be complaining about small minor details of this front end a whole lot in the next few weeks, so I wanted to make sure I also made known how great I think this front end is.

as rob said, its directory based for music. so is media car. a vast majority of the other players are list based. cool for them, I dont like it. So its refreshing to see that new front ends are being developed for those of us who prefer directory based listening.

second. its simple. well, thats a total lie. I have this theory that many of the enthusiasts here are like me or similar. mp3, gps, the occasional video or dvd on a blue moon (very very occasional dvd), and for those who replace the radio, they want that too.

so we have front ends that have web access, pictures, satelite radio, butons on the main screen to lauch external apps such as emulators, mixers, the list goes on and on. and on. ... and on. has anyone tried roadrunner? talk about every square inch of the main screen taken up!

and so it goes with neocar. way too complicated (for those of us who are minimalists) but what can we do? we can simply start up that skin maker (this is starting to get into theory, I havent figured out that part fully fully yet) and make a skin that has JUST mp3 and gps. or add the dvd. or maybe mp3 and radio for those who dont have gps. we can make it as simple or as complicated as we want to!

from what I understand, I could make a button for solitaire and load it as an external app and map it from the main screen. totally useless, but it means this front end is useful for the uber complex user, and perfect for the minimalist!

well, thats it for now. as I get a handle over the program, im sure ill be able to add more. but those two features alone have made this program the only candidate that has a fighting change to be better (and I mean WAY better) than media car.

thanks, natsuo. sorry for the criticism youll find in the other threads I post.

lol natsuo

I like NMC because it is directory based i tried RR cause everyone raves about it but it just isn't for me.

I like NMC cause of the way it was designed it may have a few small bugs but hopefully it will be fully fixed in the next version which is soon
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

Comment

Originally posted by NiN^_^NiN
      lol natsuo

I like NMC because it is directory based i tried RR cause everyone raves about it but it just isn't for me.

I like NMC cause of the way it was designed it may have a few small bugs but hopefully it will be fully fixed in the next version which is soon
      I agree. There are a few things I don't like about NMC as well a couple bugs here and there, but the pros definately out weight the cons. The customization and ease of use are definately worth the few headaches. I too am waiting for the next update in hopes that these will be taken care of.

Comment

well in the next release GPS mp3 and movies should all work fine

music and GPS are the only bugs i have right now and movies cause im on a slow pc and they seem to run VERY slow for some reason.

But im happy i've gotten use to NMC crashing when trying to embed free drive it doesn't do this much but sometimes it does and the only problem with mp3 is that when i hibernate it studders when coming out of hibernation and takes up to 5mins till i can regain control and quit NMC

But i worked out thats a VIZ problem it works fine if i go to main and then hibernate with music playing.

I really can't wait for the new release
        CarPC Status:

Comment

well in the next release GPS mp3 and movies should all work fine

music and GPS are the only bugs i have right now and movies cause im on a slow pc and they seem to run VERY slow for some reason.

But im happy i've gotten use to NMC crashing when trying to embed free drive it doesn't do this much but sometimes it does and the only problem with mp3 is that when i hibernate it studders when coming out of hibernation and takes up to 5mins till i can regain control and quit NMC

But i worked out thats a VIZ problem it works fine if i go to main and then hibernate with music playing.

I really can't wait for the new release
          only arselicking in this thread please, you can take that outside

Comment

hhehehe nmc is amazing... I have had long talks with netsuo and I'm confident that if this progresses as he said he wishes we will one day have the best frontend!

unfortunately I'm not using it at the mo... I'm tied to RR cause it is working solidly enough (despite not having the directory browsing that I cant live without and not feeling as sturdy as nmc)... because other people use my car I dont want to have it crashing and being fidgety... I also like that RR is running very integrated with CDR's FreeDrive, with speed, streetname and directions on all screens... I'm sure NMC will surpass all of that soon though!
            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
            Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

I just can't wait i'm 99% sure tht it won't come out at the end of the month tho
              CarPC Status:

Comment

directory based is a tough way to do this stuff tho - most fe's have directory based nav as an option

list is the best because this is basically a big database that you can run query's on etc...

i'd like to see the front ends develop the media managers more so they are more practical for their actual use.

1 filter for genre, 1 listview for artists/albums/playlists, then a 2nd listview for albums/tracks. albumview would hvae cover art as a way for navigating... only way to fly

so u use the media manager to come up with a music queue which is your now playing list. i feel like ideally you would have this mix going but be able to jump out of the mix into another temporary queue and back again... example: made a mix of jayz, breaking benjamin, john legend. Now playing is Jay-Z Nigga Please (what else). I touch "Jay-Z" in the now playing section and a list of his albums comes up, i can navigate and add to a temporary queue songs that i want to hear. jump to that queue and back when i want, then the jayz queue is deleted.

Or John Legend is playing, i click on the Album section (or ideally the cover art) and a list of the tracks on that album comes up. again, i can select one or all and hop to a temp list then back again.

theres non-pc based mp3 options that use this "playlist jumping" its an awesome feature!!

whatever these are just suggestions, centrafuse doesnt want to use them so i'm trying nmc cause thats my 2ndary fe...
                [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

Hmm... I love directory based.... yes, a database is useful at times, but for me its near worthless... I have most of my music in a disorganized fashion, so I have it organized the way I want in directories...

What frontends have directory browsing as an option? CF makes you "add the directory", so does RR, I really didnt find anything that does it like NMC, and allows playlists...

databases are convenient at times, but not at all essential in my case... I think NMC excels due to its simplicity....
                  Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

well frodo for sure, centrafuse uses a now playing queue (which makes more sense than anything out there). you select the directories option and u just add the **** in.
                    [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

I dont like frodo, too complicated... Music 1, Music 2, Video 1, yada hate that....

Centrafuse isnt really directory based playing! dont misunderstand, being able to browse and add a directory to a playlist is useless if your music is already organized! In NMC I can play an entire directory structure without adding it to any useless playlist...

I can just select a root directory of an artist (that has a bunch of album directories) and it will start playing one by one... I can then go up a leve to another artist and play... go into a particular album and play...

no need to go into playlist editor, clear list, find album, add.... then change artists: go into playlist, clear, find, add, play....

it just acts like a large list which supports multiple levels (subdirectories)... playlists dont support "subdirectoris" which is why they suck IMO.

NMC is an ace at music handling! it offers directory structure straight in the player, as well as a playlist option which again bhaves like a directory. No it doesnt have a database, but like netsuo said, he wont be integrating a db in for deveral reasons for now...
                      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

xbox media center has an awesome functio nwhere it scans the hd and downloads the cd info based on directory structure and names u use, so u can use dir or list based
                        [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

Originally posted by nsmoller
                          xbox media center has an awesome functio nwhere it scans the hd and downloads the cd info based on directory structure and names u use, so u can use dir or list based
                          What does that have to do with this?

Netsuo had the same tool in his early NMC release but didn't continue to use it.

There is a 3rd party app that does that for you.

Directory based is that way to go i think cause ALOT of people have it setup as artist then there albums in each sub directory.

Also the best thing is if u add more music into the directory its right there for you to play you don't have to update any databases (lets face it the bigger the colection the longer the database takes) and you also don't have to do a new playlist either.

I personally think NMC does the best way to play music and with it not having to depend on winamp or WMP it makes it all self contained and alot better in my eyes.

Only feature netsuo is missing is a next directory button thats about it.
                          CarPC Status:

Comment

Directory based is that way to go i think cause ALOT of people have it setup as artist then there albums in each sub directory.

I personally think NMC does the best way to play music and with it not having to depend on winamp or WMP it makes it all self contained and alot better in my eyes.
                            yes :thumbup:

I veto nsmoller. let him run autotouch if he likes playlist and ID3 based browsing.

and if Im lucky IE wont crash when I hit post this time.

Comment

you were lucky this time it didn't crash
                              CarPC Status:

Comment

Working...
                              X