Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Do you/Would you use multiple monitors in your car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Do you/Would you use multiple monitors in your car?

The open mobile framework has natively supported an infinite number of monitors since its creation...now its time to actually implement the control. The cool thing here being that we can also support multiple input devices - which means 3 monitors can each have a separate touchscreen and each would act like their own PC (its a shame there aren't any multi-touch touchscreens for carpc use yet). That said-we don't want to put effort into technology that probably wont be used so time for community input.
    Nope-ones enough
    18.18%
    Yes-but only in another front end
    4.55%
    Yes for 2 monitors
    18.18%
    Yes for 3 monitors
    45.45%
    Yes for 4 monitors
    9.09%
    Yes for 5 or more monitors (and ill just hope they dont all want to watch blu-rays at the same time)
    4.55%

The poll is expired.

openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Would I? Yes, I'd love to have a monitor available to the people in the back for selecting songs or for kids watching movies. But it's very very low on my build list and to be honest I'd probably never get around to actually doing it even if it was available.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I currently run thee monitors, although the second two a mainly movie monitors as they are in the headrests.

Although in the future I plan to run individual PC's for those all controlled from the main PC.

Comment

Im voting yes for 3 (but really think 2 is more feasible), b/c that is probably the maximum, I could ever imagine installing in a car. 1 for up front, and 2 for rear passengers. If the support is there, someone will use it, and if the problem isn't tackled now, it will most assuredly be a request or issue down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
          I currently run thee monitors, although the second two a mainly movie monitors as they are in the headrests.

Although in the future I plan to run individual PC's for those all controlled from the main PC.
          And of course I have to ask...why separate PCs instead of individual monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
            And of course I have to ask...why separate PCs instead of individual monitors?
            There will be three monitors, three PCs.

All running RR (or maybe CF) each will be individually controllable but will also be controllable from the main screen.

Why, so people in the back can have control of their own screen.

At present, as I said it is Three screens one PC, the two at the back are exactly the same with a splitter at the moment so it is effectively two screens.

Comment

I vote five because that's what I'm going for on my Sequoia (3 rows). I would like the monitors in the back mainly for displaying song info and movies. Later, some web browsing, chat? Kids are small so for now, just displaying entertainment.

I am considering though two touchscreens at the front though, one close to my hands, one in the headrest for the wife to choose songs. My wife wants the screen on the song/playlist screen at all times, while I like to enjoy Google Earth, OBD, Traffic, etc. She doesn't care for all those toys, but that's what I like best about my carputer, so clearly I need one touchscreen monitor just for music/videos selection. If I figure out a way to do that, I'll ended up with two touchscreens and 4 rear monitors in the headrests...
              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Why, so people in the back can have control of their own screen..
                Read the first post!

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                  Read the first post!
                  I did.

I could, in theory also do that with RR (with a bit of tweaking, multiple instances and a custom plugin), but I would still have multiple soundcard issues etc.

I just think it would be nice to have the extra PC's, I mean one PC is getting old now, loads of people have one.

Anyway, I'm not there with it yet, still working on one PC, waiting on my replacement front monitor. (Currently running with two headrest monitors but no front monitor )

Comment

I did.

I could, in theory also do that with RR (with a bit of tweaking, multiple instances and a custom plugin), but I would still have multiple soundcard issues etc.

I just think it would be nice to have the extra PC's, I mean one PC is getting old now, loads of people have one.

Anyway, I'm not there with it yet, still working on one PC, waiting on my replacement front monitor. (Currently running with two headrest monitors but no front monitor )
                    It'd be more efficient to use sessions.
                    Ampie Case
                    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I did.

Unless you plan on rewriting RR-not a chance you could make this work with just a plugin-trust me. RR and the other front ends deal with a single mouse-if you hook up more then one they both control the same cursor which can be a ***** if you try scrolling on one screen and clicking on another, etc. Not to mention the multiple sound cards like you said...

That doesn't sound too bad-just have someone sit in the back and tell you when to turn

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                        I vote five because that's what I'm going for on my Sequoia (3 rows). I would like the monitors in the back mainly for displaying song info and movies. Later, some web browsing, chat? Kids are small so for now, just displaying entertainment.

I am considering though two touchscreens at the front though, one close to my hands, one in the headrest for the wife to choose songs. My wife wants the screen on the song/playlist screen at all times, while I like to enjoy Google Earth, OBD, Traffic, etc. She doesn't care for all those toys, but that's what I like best about my carputer, so clearly I need one touchscreen monitor just for music/videos selection. If I figure out a way to do that, I'll ended up with two touchscreens and 4 rear monitors in the headrests...
                        On most hardware you have a vga out and a dvi out-so 1 touchscreen and 4 monitors sharing the other output is easy. Once you pass that point, or if you want independent views on the monitors you either need multiple video cards or something like this.

Comment

Thanks! (I said monitor on the headrest for the passenger? I meant overhead console!)

It's still in its infancy though, but I do think I'm going to need two videocards. I hope I can find a mini itx board that works with two video cards simultaneosly. I use a 24" and a 19" monitor in my office, and I'm hoping that the front setup will work like that: if somebody touches one screen, they can change the focus, but everything on the other still works, etc. I wonder if the FE will need to have another copy of itself, I'm thinking yes: one with do the audio/video duties, the other all the other cool stuff we stuff our cars with.

The problem is, when I'm alone, I'll have to use the overhead monitor anyway, and I can't switch to a single one. That's okay though, this is going to be the lesser problem.

The other monitors need no control: just song/title/visualizations/video display, vga would be great, but I can settle for composite. I just want the computer to show song/title on the screen or visualization (if turned on) or video when a video is being played.

That would be so cool.
                          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

One FE can do it all...i'll try to get a demo video up by the end of the weekend...should also be available in the next release (also this weekend-i hope).

Comment

Working...
                            X