Om on BeagleBoard XM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Om on BeagleBoard XM

I have ubuntu 10.10 netbook running on my BeagleBoard XM. I trying to run OpenMobile but i get a warning about software rendering. I believe that I installed the SGX video drivers ok but this is the only thing i have to test them. This is probably not an OpenMobile question but i thought someone might have some advice.

I'm not familiar with your setup but it seems to be some info here: https://code.google.com/p/beagleboar...XunderAngstrom
    I don't know if this is relevant for you though.

The message about software rendering indicates that your video drivers doesn't properly support opengl.
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Comment

Originally posted by smp4488 View Post
      I have ubuntu 10.10 netbook running on my BeagleBoard XM. I trying to run OpenMobile but i get a warning about software rendering. I believe that I installed the SGX video drivers ok but this is the only thing i have to test them. This is probably not an OpenMobile question but i thought someone might have some advice.
      Can you post the output from glxinfo? that should narrow down if its an OM issue or an install issue. Also, if you have it available a Debug log would help
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Here is the output from glx info..... http://pastebin.com/rTttEAAH . (Looks Good)
        Here is the debut output....... http://pastebin.com/RwAQwDwy . (Looks fishy, but i cant tell)

The OpenMobile team is the best around. You all are always on top of what is going on in the forms. Keep up the good work and you all rock!

Comment

smp, can you give some feedback on how the Beagleboard XM feels? Its one tidy little package, and I know that was one option for embedded use that was being tossed around as an alternative to the igepv2 that others are trying.

Have you tried using it as a general use linux box at all? Just want to see how it feels response-wise.

Comment

The boot times are a little slow but it is a zippy little computer. Im running the netbook version of Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 and im trying to setup OpenMobile for my car pc frontend. I have it hooked up to a 20" monitor with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I have been working back and forth between the synaptic package manager, terminal, and the chromium browser. Wifi is connected over USB and also works great. Jumping between these is a pretty quick development environment. OpenMobile runs super slow but i believe its related to my problem above.

So to answer your question about being a general usage linux box: for email, browsing, and music it is all good. Video i haven't had a chance to look into yet.

Comment

Thats exactly the kind of feedback I was after!

It's good to see that these little embedded systems are really picking up the pace. I think they are the way forward for a lot of carPC systems, excepting the real high power requirements. They are small, low power, but packed with features.

Keep us updated on your progress, we are all looking forward to seeing how you go with OM on the Beagleboard.

Comment

As long as your video player supports hardware acceleration you should be able to do 720p video with only 10-20%CPU.

Hmm.... so the Embedded: True part means OM is detecting OpenGL ES support but the Vendor String and Graphics card string shows its not using it its using the software renderer. I'm 90% sure that we should get a Version Srting Starting with "OpenGL ES" which makes me think maybe glxinfo doesn't query gl es? I really am not 100% sure and google has nothing since this is kind of a new topic.

The only thing I can guess is that linux reports an Open GL renderer (which is software) and an Open GL ES renderer (which is hardware). Normally we favor the full open gl version but I think on linux i'm going to flip that. See if rev 594 works any better.

Comment

Crash and Burn. Here is the output:

Code:
                  Exception
                  Exception Message: [Error] Failed to create EGL window surface, error 12293.
                  Source: OpenMobile.Graphics
                  Stack Trace: 
                    at OpenMobile.Platform.Egl.EglWindowInfo.CreateWindowSurface (IntPtr config) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
                    at OpenMobile.Platform.Egl.EglContext..ctor (OpenMobile.Graphics.GraphicsMode mode, OpenMobile.Platform.Egl.EglWindowInfo window, IGraphicsContext sharedContext, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
                    at OpenMobile.Platform.Egl.EglX11PlatformFactory.CreateGLContext (OpenMobile.Graphics.GraphicsMode mode, IWindowInfo window, IGraphicsContext shareContext, Boolean directRendering, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
                    at OpenMobile.Graphics.GraphicsContext..ctor (OpenMobile.Graphics.GraphicsMode mode, IWindowInfo window, Int32 major, Int32 minor, GraphicsContextFlags flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
                    at OpenMobile.Graphics.GraphicsContext..ctor (OpenMobile.Graphics.GraphicsMode mode, IWindowInfo window) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
                    at OpenMobile.GameWindow.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Comment

Theres 4 steps to graphics on an embedded platform:
                    1. Initialize the graphics card
                    2. Create a graphics context
                    3. Create a graphics window
                    4. Draw stuff

Looks like things die on step 3..but at least were working with the embedded framework. I'm submitting the error upstream and hopefully someone can chime in with a cause.

Comment

How good is the new bluetooth support we keep hearing about going to be? I have my bluetooth adapter installed and working, but i found this http://nohands.sourceforge.net/. Looks pretty sweet and integration seems easy for linux but not so much other OSs.

Comment

Originally posted by smp4488 View Post
                        How good is the new bluetooth support we keep hearing about going to be? I have my bluetooth adapter installed and working, but i found this http://nohands.sourceforge.net/. Looks pretty sweet and integration seems easy for linux but not so much other OSs.
                        The new bluetooth stack is windows only...bluez will be used on linux (which is what nohands builds off of)

Comment

smp4488:
                          Give revision 600 a try....brand new backend tested and working on an openGL ES Emulator.

Comment

justchat,

Same error as above. You think it is something on my end?

Comment

The new backend requires openGL ES 1.1....do you have just 2.0 installed or 1.1 and 2.0?

Comment

Working...
                              X