Future Navigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Navigation

Okay, so the OpenMobile forum is WAY to quiet yet again. So I thought I would add a small bit of life

I, like some others, use Garmin Mobile PC in the car. Support for it from Garmin has or soon will be stopped. And while I'll be able to use it for a little while, I need to know:

What are the alternatives?

There are map choices. I have not found too many that seem appealling. Routing is kind of high up on my priority list. And lowest cost is right up there as well. Then there is small touch screen friendly.

John
    03 Cadillac CTS
    ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
    Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
    OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
    2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

I've been really happy with iGuidance.

Comment

Waze is one way to go. It has an api so it can be nicely integrated.
      Failure is not an option...
      __________________________________________________ ______________________________
      The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Comment

I looked up Waze last evening. Seems quite interesting. Not sure how one can integrate it without modding it somewhat. It has not been compiled for Windows that I can tell (Windows Mobile excepted). That is beyond me at the moment.

However, that being said, it looks quite interesting. I like the two-way approach for road updates / traffic / etc.

Oh, and FREE is always a nice feature
        03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

Yeah, I've tested it on my phone while driving around and it works just fine for me. I don't know if it's up and running on windows yet but it does run on iOS and Android (linux)
          __________________________________________________ ______________________________
          The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Comment

The unfortunate thing is that the hands-down best navigation is on android only... Would probably be easiest to port OpenMobile to android.. ;-)
            2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
            Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Doesn't have to be ported... Android supports mono so should be able to run OpenMobile but I don't think anyone has tested it.

Comment

I don't know if anyone checked out MapMonkey (www.mapmonkey.net), but it looks simplistic and best of all FREE!!!

Wolfo

Comment

MapMonkey is based on destinator which is not free...
                  I don't know how the current state is on destinator but I built a frontend around it approx 5 years ago and that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Borte View Post
                    Doesn't have to be ported... Android supports mono so should be able to run OpenMobile but I don't think anyone has tested it.
                    I'd love to see it, but is there a free/open mono for android? I thought it was a pay license like the iOS mono.
                    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                    Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                      I'd love to see it, but is there a free/open mono for android? I thought it was a pay license like the iOS mono.
                      I'm not sure of the current state. I know it was a license issue earlier but I think that MonoDroid has opened up a bit.

Comment

both the iOS and Android for mono were commercial product and both have basically been cancelled since Novell was sucked up by Attachmate. Mono founders have started a new company to try to replace them but it could be a while. They provide a way to run C#/.Net on the given platform, but the UI is still all platform specific stuff still.
                        openMobile - Download
                        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Well, so far, at least IMHO, iGuidance is winning the race. It's not free (but reasonable), seems to be pretty stable, has an OSK, and at least for now can be "embedded" via the embedded app plugin.

I'm still open to more suggestions. But if my mind is not changed for me, I may just pick up iGuidance (after the free trial ) in about a month or so. That gives time to get any major issues handled with 0.9
                          03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

http://www.navit-project.org/

I know this thread is a little old, anyone look at this?
                            Audio
                            Front / Rear RE Audio RE6.5C + RE Audio DTS-500.4
                            Sub RE Audio SEX10D4 + RE Audio DTS-1500.1
                            Carputer
                            MOCOSO Case + MiniTouch DD + Asrock E350M1

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyT View Post
                              http://www.navit-project.org/

I know this thread is a little old, anyone look at this?
                              It was discussed at an early stage, back then Navit wasn't mature enough. This might have changed now as it looks like a lot of work as gone into it since last time we checked it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X