This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphically Talented people wanted.

We have come to the part of the adventure where we need some graphically talented volunteers to start making up some eye candy for OpenMobile.

OpenMobile surpasses the feature set of most front ends available today. But one of the big selling points of the others is the visual appeal.

The basic default skin was put together to be simple, clean, and provide a way to interact with OM during development.

This is a general call to those that would like to join the team. Any skinning theme concepts are fair game. From "retro" through current graphical trends. Possibly build items on request. You will not be required to build the actual skins (but of course you are welcome to). And we realize that you will not be devoting your life to OpenMobile.

You should be able to provide conceptual artwork (screen shots) and actual graphics (PSD files). You should agree to have the graphics freely available to the project (skinners, developers) following the GPL licencing just like the whole OpenMobile project.
    03 Cadillac CTS
    ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
    Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
    OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
    2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

I'm interested in helping out, however I've only loosely been following the development process.

Do you have any information on the details of skinning?

Comment

I'm not sure what details you are looking for. The "skinning" system is not yet complete. However, many if not most of the screen objects can have a graphic related to it. Background / Wallpaper is possible.

If you haven't already, you can peruse some of the threads on this forum to see some of the early work others had done. If you have a particular concept in mind and need to know how the back-end will accommodate it, the devs will likely jump in and help you out. My major role on the team is as tester, and can only answer some basic development related questions, referring the complicated stuff to the devs.

John
      03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

openMobile - Download
        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

LOL. You're hired!
          03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

It it possible to have animations in the skin? Im really tired of the on/off button state, so I'd love to see crazy animations like those on windows phone 7 devices every time you click on a button. I could help with something like my metrosex skin for CF (see signature) if you guys care for it. Id love to see if OM brakes that on/off sate pattern, the problem is I'm not an artist, so what you see pretty much is an adaptation of somebody else's (Microsoft's) job so i wouldn't expect anything more than that.
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Let me say first that any skin is fair game. Everybody has different tastes so the more the merrier.

I "believe" animated graphics are supported. But before I go shooting my mouth off, I'll let one of the devs confirm for us.

I like the design concept behind your Metrosex On The Beach theme.

For the time being, the skinning utility (something the average user could use to make custom skins) will take a back seat to getting the project done. Again, hopefully a dev will share some insight because I'm not sure that theme/skin is impemented program wide yet. But it may be, and they can best share where you should start.

Concept screens and related individual graphics can be started now. This evening I will set up part of my FTP server to collect up various support files, including graphic contributions.

I am starting to collect up automotive brand logos to put on there. I also have a couple very basic test apps for external hardware like the Matrix Orbital character LCDs and Arduino/Firmata.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

John
              03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

Originally posted by Penzance View Post
                Do you have any information on the details of skinning?
                As the skinning system is still undergoing development, the skinning code is not the easiest to handle at the moment. So as of now we're mostly looking for help in the graphical department (with psd's). One of the devs will help out with the actual skinning code when any graphics are ready.
                Failure is not an option...
                __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                  It it possible to have animations in the skin? Im really tired of the on/off button state, so I'd love to see crazy animations like those on windows phone 7 devices every time you click on a button..
                  Yes "crazy" animation can be handled. Anything that can be drawn, modified or otherwise changed can be done. OM is'nt using one single image for a skin but instead breaks it up in smaller objects than can be moved, scaled, warped in any manner you like. There's already some simple animations in place in the basic skin. So YES OM definitely breaks the ON/OFF pattern!

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                  the problem is I'm not an artist, so what you see pretty much is an adaptation of somebody else's (Microsoft's) job so i wouldn't expect anything more than that.
                  How would this be handled in terms of licensing and legality since it's basically Win8?

RipplingHurst-> The questions about color handling in your skin thread that couldn't be handled in CF can be done in OM. The skin is not limited in any ways.
                  Last edited by Borte; 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM.
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                  The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Comment

I would be more than willing to help, and I am very capable with creating image files, however I am not good at coming up with ideas. Perhaps I would be able to offer assistance with creating psds to anyone else who needs help.

the look is one of the two reasons I won't use OM at the moment and with this improvement I would be 50% of the way there to being a dedicated user
                    (the other reason is Sirius radio)

Comment

Originally posted by meryan00 View Post
                      the look is one of the two reasons I won't use OM at the moment and with this improvement I would be 50% of the way there to being a dedicated user
                      That's what we feel as well, the current look of OM isn't showing off the graphical engine that we have. So a new and updated look is what we're after.

A Sirus plugin should be feasible, I don't think that any of the devs have the Sirius hardware so that we can develop it though. As of now we have Venice and HD radio support so adding Sirius shouldn't be too hard if there's any documents describing the interface (or a SDK).

Comment

Just as an aside, it seems to me that the design of the HMI can be abstracted from the software used to run it. You do this when you you use tools like photoshop to lay out the graphics.

I wonder if there are any open source prototyping tools applicable to this...

Comment

Originally posted by jmullan99 View Post
                          Let me say first that any skin is fair game. Everybody has different tastes so the more the merrier.

I like the design concept behind your Metrosex On The Beach theme.
                          Thanks. Sounds good to me.

Originally posted by Borte View Post
                          Yes "crazy" animation can be handled. Anything that can be drawn, modified or otherwise changed can be done. OM is'nt using one single image for a skin but instead breaks it up in smaller objects than can be moved, scaled, warped in any manner you like. There's already some simple animations in place in the basic skin. So YES OM definitely breaks the ON/OFF pattern!
                          That's great. Would love to go deeper into this.

How would this be handled in terms of licensing and legality since it's basically Win8?
                          It's far from being windows 8, really, since everything other than the main page is my own view. You can say it's inspired, but...who knows? I'm going to charge something for my CF skin anyway, but I like the OM project and I would like to contribute - in this case, I don't mind not charging anything at all. Your call.

RipplingHurst-> The questions about color handling in your skin thread that couldn't be handled in CF can be done in OM. The skin is not limited in any ways.
                          Awesome. All I need from OM is a plugin to import playlists (WMP or m3u with unicode support, with my graphics, I can't ask for more.
                          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Ive made and modified skins for a few different apps, and with out the skinning engine in place, you won't be able to make a quality skin. Because how you lay it out in PS/AI/ETC, doesn't always flow in the app itself. I usually modify the code as im working on certain areas of the graphics. Sometimes you can be altering just a handful of objects for quite some time to get things right. If there hasnt been that much interests in new skinning, might be best to finish the application first? No?
                            1997 Acura CL (Capacitive Touch, GPS, DVD, HD Radio, Backup Camera)

Comment

Originally posted by meryan00 View Post
                              I would be more than willing to help, and I am very capable with creating image files, however I am not good at coming up with ideas. Perhaps I would be able to offer assistance with creating psds to anyone else who needs help.

meryan: This would be an excellent opportunity to help make OM look the way you want. Someone that can build PSD from JPG/GIF to make them into quality graphics is one of the talents we could certainly use. There will be no shortage of ideas. See further down, maybe you could start with modding up some existing graphics into PSD quality.....

Originally posted by m2x0p9x View Post
                              Ive made and modified skins for a few different apps, and with out the skinning engine in place, you won't be able to make a quality skin. Because how you lay it out in PS/AI/ETC, doesn't always flow in the app itself. I usually modify the code as im working on certain areas of the graphics. Sometimes you can be altering just a handful of objects for quite some time to get things right. If there hasnt been that much interests in new skinning, might be best to finish the application first? No?
                              m2x0p9x: Our thoughts are kind of along the same line. Now is the right time to start building the concepts of themes/skins because the skinning part of the project is in early enough stages that it can be a two-way street. If the devs know and see the ideas people have behind the themes, certain features can be added, removed, tweaked.

For instance (and this is just for example) if someone comes up with, say, an iPhone type theme, lays out some sample shots with wallpaper, icons, etc., first they get a head start on building the theme, but also they get ideas (like swiping left/right to change menus) and then relay that to the devs. Meet in the middle as it were.

Also, sometimes it's helpful to build a PS file starting with a GIF or JPG to get a background on which to build a decent graphic. Car logos come to mind. I have been building up a library of car logos (and other files graphic and non-graphic) that may serve as background wallpaper. But they are not PSD. Some of these could be converted by talented individuals so users can have a background wallpaper specific to the car they drive.

Just to keep traffic low (currently stored on my in-home FTP) I will share how to access the (young but building) collection of files via PM. It is fully open read/write (I keep backups) but I just want to keep "unnecessary" traffic to a minimum if you know what I mean The purpose is to serve as a common place for us to easily get and put auxiliary files for the group to share. At least until we come up with a better place.

John
                              03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

Working...
                              X