Embedded Navigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedded Navigation

First off, our goal with OpenMobile is to have everything as integrated as possible without the use of external programs. We understand that you may already have a navigation program you have purchased and as a solution until we have more complete navigation offerings, this plugin will allow you to embed your existing navigation software. Here I just have it using Google Earth as an example. Coming in the .7 Release.

openMobile - Download
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

First of all, I'm stoked to see OM progressing.

But, i'd be happier if, when the GPS app is in the foreground, the only sign of OM was the back button in the lower-right corner, so that more of the screen can be dedicated to showing maps.

Pretty please?

Comment

Does this Google Earth plugin work with the nav integration features in OM? Does it accept addresses from other sources, for instance? I'm at a loss for figuring, when moving from SD2, if I want to try the free Google Earth option, or the GMPC. I like the appearance of GE, but GMPC seems to be more 'integrated'.
      2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
      Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

heezer7 was just using Google Earth to illustrate the new application embedder plugin. This can be used to embed standalone navigation programs such as Destinator. There is currently no development for a Google Earth navigation plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by ws6vert View Post
          heezer7 was just using Google Earth to illustrate the new application embedder plugin. This can be used to embed standalone navigation programs such as Destinator. There is currently no development for a Google Earth navigation plugin.
          Ahh.. ok.. i read it as the google earth plugin was coming in the .7 release.
          2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
          Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
            Ahh.. ok.. i read it as the google earth plugin was coming in the .7 release.
            We're aiming a little higher with nav...but it probably wont be 0.7 that we get there
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -

Comment

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear. This is just a temp solution to embed any nav software until we have more complete solutions ready.
              openMobile - Download

Comment

GMPC using the embedded app plugin

I just picked up my GMPC software today. Works a treat all by itself.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get it functioning correctly using the embedded Nav plugin.

It fires up fine, but then I am just left with a white rectangle. Sometimes I will see the opening screen with the two options (Where To, View Map) but when I make a selection I still end up with a white screen, the OM buttons (Home, Back, etc) are visible. Sometimes the white rectangle is higher up, so I cannot click Home.

If anyone has any hints as to how to properly set things up so GMPC is embedded nicely please let me know.

John

PS: sorry for waking up an old thread.
                03 Cadillac CTS
                ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
                Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
                OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
                2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

Comment

In the settings for the plugin try moving the Delay slider to the right. That increases the time OM waits for the nav app to load and depending on the app/hardware can take a long time. It sounds like it is attempting to embed before it finished loading. The only app I have tested it on is Google Earth so may be an issue with embedding certain apps, but it should be ok.
                  openMobile - Download

Comment

Also, keep in mind there is a GMPC plugin in development....just embedding it isn't the recommended way.
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -

Comment

Thanks Jon. I will play with that and share my results.

Thanks Justin. I have kept that in mind. Just trying to make use of nav best i can until then. lets me tinker until then

Cheers
                      John
                      03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

As promised, my results.

Various adjustments of the delay parameter, including full left/right, gives same results. GMPC is running (I hear the voice prompting), but just a plain white screen in the space that the app should be. Sometimes it shows in the upper half, covering the VOL and HOME buttons.

Again, I realize the plugin is just a fill-in, and wasn't designed around GMPC. Just sharing my results.

Cheers.
                        John
                        03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

Is there any chance of the embedded GMPC coming out before 1.0?

The 2 most important things I can think of in a Front End are Music and NAV and the music part is coming along well.

The GMPC is a waist without an OSK to use for it, in RR I use GMPC and when I want to type a location in I have to open the OSK hit enter use the back button to leave GMPC then re-open it.

After all of that I can set my destination.

I beg you for a way to use GMPC, it's the only thing holding me back from completely moving to OM.

Comment

WOW did I break the forum with my question, no posts for days? LOL

Comment

Sorry for the delay in response. The development team has been focusing a lot on getting 0.8 ready for release. I can't promise, the GMPC plugin will be complete before 1.0, altho phase 1 of the plugin has been completed, and phase 2 is in planning. Thats really all I know regarding it.

Just to let you in on a few things, one of the things Phase 2 looks to implement, is a way to bring up the OSK by tapping on a text field inside of GMPC. Should make navigating the interface less cumbersome.

Comment

Working...
                              X