Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Linux frontend

Dear All,

There is an on-going attempt to create a push-button commercial low-cost Linux distro,"Cupertino", having in mind
    (1) Rich multimedia capabilities
    (2) Low resource requirements
    (3) High performance
    (4) Mostly open API, source and interface with commercial modules (it is the business model actually - such as Navigation, Commercial Skins, Hardware Integration)
    (5) Compatibility with Road Runner specification [so people can re-use their developments as well]
    (6) And most importantly - sit on top of highly tunable, compact Linux system, tailored for CarPC needs (no need to pay for MS Windows license)

We proactively looking for vendors support and investment.
    http://www.novorado.com

Some preliminary demos here:
    Configuration screen -
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSBFbL3gWGQ[/MEDIA]
    Running zots.day
    [MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=viKCCm2Y-Sc[/MEDIA]
    Driving Google Earth
    [MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZQ-hBXxQdc[/MEDIA]
    Will contract for C++/Win-Linux/PIC jobs

We are getting ready to introduce navigation module
    which will also support open MP map format as an input.
    That gives you free maps coverage with routing for decent part of Eastern Europe,
    and G7 countries as well.

Comment

looks pretty good, especially the google earth and road-runner features. Just a quick question, will you be able to install it on ubuntu? Also, can you do the google earth caching without having an internet connection in your car?
      Planning {[][][][][][][][][][]} 100%
      Funding {[][][][][][][][][][]} 100%
      Construction {[][][][][][][][][][]} 60%

Comment

Originally posted by tominated View Post
        looks pretty good, especially the google earth and road-runner features. Just a quick question, will you be able to install it on ubuntu? Also, can you do the google earth caching without having an internet connection in your car?
        on ubuntu - probably it's compatible with i386-i686. one of the testers did this when install was not working (just unpacking the binaries over).

rpm2cpio < cuper.rpm > cuper.cpio
        cd /
        cpio -i -d < cuper.cpio

Google Earth caching gets data from google server. So when caching (loading data), it requires the connection. When off-line, it uses data that already been stored on the disk.

Comment

Originally posted by novorado View Post
          rpm2cpio < cuper.rpm > cuper.cpio
          cd /
          cpio -i -d < cuper.cpio
          is that what i need to input into the console to install it after i have it downloaded (i'm not too savvy with linux, but i know enough to make my way around)?
          Planning {[][][][][][][][][][]} 100%
          Funding {[][][][][][][][][][]} 100%
          Construction {[][][][][][][][][][]} 60%

Comment

Originally posted by tominated View Post
            is that what i need to input into the console to install it after i have it downloaded (i'm not too savvy with linux, but i know enough to make my way around)?
            It was the pseudo-command. <cuper.rpm> is the name of most recent rpm file.
            Replace it with most recent rpm name.

I recommend though to wait a little longer for USB flash/LiveCD image (announcement will be post here).

Cupertino is still a development version, and requires some reverse-engineering skill to make it run smoothly on Linux when installing from RPM.

For instance, you will need some Tcl scripting and understanding of your machine architecture to feed correct Motherboard or CPU temperature; If you are not installing on Mandriva, be able to track dependencies for "yum" or "apt-get" (installation currently heavily depends on ability of URPMI to automatically download required packages that are missing);

Comment

Originally posted by novorado View Post
              (5) Compatibility with Road Runner specification [so people can re-use their developments as well]
              What does that mean? It's compatible with RoadRunner skins and plugins?

So this is a PAID linux clone of roadrunner? Who's gonna buy that?
              Tidder

Try RevFE
              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                What does that mean? It's compatible with RoadRunner skins and plugins?

So this is a PAID linux clone of roadrunner? Who's gonna buy that?
                Mandriva is paid distro, there is a similar model.

It has number of open-source (when dictated by GPL or applicable license) and commercial modules that support RoadRunner skin format, that's it. Code base is entirely different.
                We developed Navigation module + custom Linux parktronic module for that application as well.

At this point, we've hit a resource bottleneck and not offering this product. There are older versions in download section, but it requires some skill to set it up in your environment.

Comment

Working...
                X