Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Front End: Velocity - Calling Flash Skinners

Hello all

I've been hard at work developing my shiny front end called Velocity. It's steadily progressing to beta from its current alpha stage.

Highlights are:
    • Java Based - True multiplatform support for Windows/Linux/Mac/PocketPC
    • Pure Flash Skins - Fully animated all dancing Flash movies are the skin
    • VLC Media Plugin - VLC plays any format out of the box, including a free DVD decoder, and it's multiplatform too.

Have a look here for detailed info

I currently need a handful of Flash skinners, to help test and provide some feedback on the framework, so it can be tweaked etc. If you are interested, please leave me a PM and I'll be in touch.
    Current:
    [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
    [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Sounds good, looking forward to testing it

Comment

if you're a flash skinner, you can start within the next couple of days (just a couple of bugs to clean up )

overall testing requires a skin to be completed first so that'll be in 2-3 weeks fingers crossed.
      Current:

Previous:
      [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Comon peeps, need a few Flash skinners!
        Current:

Previous:

Comment

Im in

Let me know the details. Im a flash junkie. I can do anything you want, plus i have lots of expierence with 3d, graphics and illustration.

Comment

will it work in linux or just windows
            Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
            Genesis has speed
            Genesis has class
            Genesis sent money
            before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

linux also. I'm developing it on Windows at the moment, so it will require some tweaking to get it working on linux, but it's on the cards, and I'm prepared to support anyone willing to try it.
              Current:

Previous:

Comment

duranike - pm sent.
                Current:

Previous:

Comment

sama,

How's all this coming? I've been looking at your threads on digi-car, but would like to ask how your general feeling for the development is coming without setting up an account on yet another forum.

~quick
                  Pictures never lie.
                  Only Photoshop does.

Comment

Hi dude

I've got a working prototype, with media playback capability. I've also added external plug-in support from other languages, such as .net, vb6, etc.

My last efforts were around getting the media player to work on a mac and Linux, but I've decided that the first release will be aimed at windows, then I'll work on getting it to work on other platforms. The framework itself works, but the port of mplayer for Linux/mac is a little different in the way the OS's handle window sizing/removing.

My current hurdle is the GPS part. I planned to use FreeDrive and I was getting some help in getting this going, but that took a step back as I got busy with house moves etc. To be honest, all my time has been spent on getting my flat all nice and stuff But not working on this project, and my car in general has been nagging at me! I've wanted to fit my SpaceNavigator in the car since I got it almost 6 months ago, and I haven't got around to it.

Anyway, I've just got a new job and my work is, believe it or not, exactly what I did with Velocity (this is why they hired me), only it's for web applications using AJAX. Also, someone else form this forum has been working on some Flash Kiosk stuff. We've been talking about rewriting some of the Flash 8 (AS2) stuff with Flex (AS3), which will make the Flash side less hacked and give a better foundation.

So the answer is that I will definitely resume development on this
                    Current:

Previous:

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. I just ask that you please don't forget about us Mac users, tho. I'm getting tired of all the empty promises of front ends over there...
                      Pictures never lie.
                      Only Photoshop does.

Comment

this could be my frontend, but i miss some essential features:

- built in GPS support (no maps, only the raw gps data for volume control etc)
                        - embedding of external applications

although it seems to have a fast interface, its slow on my carputer (500 MhZ only), but it maybe its the default skin...i have 100% cpu load with velocity and 30% with roadrunner (and roadrunner isnt made for flash skins...)

thanks for your work!
                        monschein.org

Comment

I won't qkslvr!

Reflex, thanks for the feedback.

Is the skin you're using the monkey one? I can't remember which I have included. The monkey skin is overkill as you wouldn't normally have such heavy animation normally, but I would also imagine that 500MHz is approaching the lower limit of CPU required.

as soon as I resume work, I'll post an updated skin with less load, and would appreciate some more feedback.

cheers
                          Current:

Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by sama View Post
                            Is the skin you're using the monkey one? I can't remember which I have included. The monkey skin is overkill as you wouldn't normally have such heavy animation normally, but I would also imagine that 500MHz is approaching the lower limit of CPU required.
                            yes, its the monkey skin. and i think 500 MHz should be far enough for my needs - winamp uses only 7% of the cpu, destinator runs also fine and my road runner flash skin is very simple...even video would work, but i have to look at the street...

Originally posted by sama View Post
                            as soon as I resume work, I'll post an updated skin with less load, and would appreciate some more feedback.
                            i will have an eye on your good project - the design is really great and looks very promising...

edit:
                            Will you release the source? I would code some stuff 4 it...
                            monschein.org

Comment

ok, i've changed the monkey skin and deleted the monkey and his shadow -> 10% CPU load while playing on my 500MHz machine... great!

Hope 2 hear from you soon, sama!
                              monschein.org

Comment

Working...
                              X