X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Weather.com map

I really like the interactive weather map on weather.com
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...MapLayer=radar

Has anyone tried to extract and display just the map and controls?
    Displaying the web page (even in kiosk mode) takes up too much screen space. If it were possible to fill the screen with the map (and controls) that would be very useful.
    ...Paul

well its a flash applet so its definitely attainable.. only problem is its still in beta so they will probably change it a billion times before its finalized.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

definitely embeds but it doesnt change aspect ratios.. that kinda sucks..

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
        definitely embeds but it doesnt change aspect ratios.. that kinda sucks..

What exactly did you embed? (how did you figure out what to embed?)
        Can you show the RR Button code?
        Thanks...Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pshadwick View Post
          What exactly did you embed? (how did you figure out what to embed?)
          Can you show the RR Button code?
          Thanks...Paul
          open the page in firefox.. go to tools. page info... media tab....and scroll down that list until u see http://image.weather.com/web/flash/FMMain.swf. Save that to your skin folder and embed it just like u would embed any flash movie

Comment

open the page in firefox.. go to tools. page info... media tab....and scroll down that list until u see http://image.weather.com/web/flash/FMMain.swf. Save that to your skin folder and embed it just like u would embed any flash movie
            Sonic,
            OK I did that (took me a little longer to figure out using Explorer).

I presume the map is no longer being updated from the internet. Is there any way around that?
            Thanks...Paul

Comment

FYI now that the link has been posted in there, you can simply right click on the link in Sonix's post above, and choose "Save Target As" to save it to your hard drive.
              Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Sonic,
                OK I did that (took me a little longer to figure out using Explorer).

I presume the map is no longer being updated from the internet. Is there any way around that?
                Thanks...Paul
                it automatically updates itself as long as you have internet connection.

Comment

it automatically updates itself as long as you have internet connection.
                  ALL RIGHT.... This is looking good.
                  Now to make it better I need some RR size buttons for controls. Is there any way to discover keyboard shortcuts for some of the controls? (like activate animation, clouds and radar)
                  Thanks...Paul

Comment

ALL RIGHT.... This is looking good.
                    Now to make it better I need some RR size buttons for controls. Is there any way to discover keyboard shortcuts for some of the controls? (like activate animation, clouds and radar)
                    Thanks...Paul

that would be a guess effort.. i kinda doubt they have keyboard shortcuts considering it was made for a fully web based application. Also you should note that if you DONT have internet and u have the map up it will expire after 10 mins or so

Comment

I tried decompiling the SWF with SoftLink's SWF decompiler, with no success. The code get's messed up in the process.

I was really hoping to make the display area larger, and possibly add some keyboard shortcuts to it
                      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

there is no true swf decompiler... the code is way too complexed to decode. Course if someone knows something different let me know!

Comment

Yea, its a hit and miss thing for sure. Some things decompile well, and others do not. It is just a matter of what commands and such and how they are used I guess.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

I think i found a way to center the map on a particular location. For example:

http://image.weather.com/web/flash/F...teOnStart=true

How can I use this url format inside the interactive weather screen on DifitalFX

basically you can change
                            size
                            zoom
                            position
                            radar or satellite

http://image.weather.com/web/flash/F...teOnStart=true

FMMain.swf?&lat=18.15&long=-66.3&viewPortWidth=600&viewPortHeight=400&initialW eatherLayerType=radar&initialZoomLevel=6&wxAnimate OnStart=true

Comment

So if I read this correctly, we can have an interactive flash weathermap and use the above commands to load/reload the flash with the specified options. So all I need to do is create buttons which reload the same screen and different calls to the flash website. This is looking really promising. I have been using the animated stationary maps in my skins for some time, but if I ever go outside my area their pretty worthless. Keep it up guys I can't wait to be able to add this to my weather arsenal.
                              HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Working...
                              X