so buggy..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so buggy..

I don't know what is up but I cannot get rr to run smooth at all. At this point Im now wondering if RR can do everything streetdeck can do ... Im considering all options but streetdeck just seems alot less of a headache...

You could use Streetdeck I suppose.

Or else you could list the "bugs" and ask for help, I bet many of them are not bugs but just mis-configurations.

Comment

road runner isnt made for those who dont wish to optimize it for there own use. Drop your $200 and use streetdeck. Just make sure you have the cpu heavy minimum hardware requirements.
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

At this point Im now wondering if RR can do everything streetdeck can do

Comment

RR is not for the faint of heart. However, for basic tasks, it should be straightforward. I've been using RR for almost 2 years now. It's been very smooth for me. I wouldn't even use Streetdeck if it were given to me for free. Maybe list the bugs and see if we can help.
          iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
          CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by b8bboi View Post
            RR is not for the faint of heart. However, for basic tasks, it should be straightforward. I've been using RR for almost 2 years now. It's been very smooth for me. I wouldn't even use Streetdeck if it were given to me for free.
            Oh, you mean there are other options for FE's? , but you couldn't even pay me to use anything else!! Another dedicated RR user, 2yrs, 7mths...since its birth!

There is just no comparison between streetxxxx and RoadRunner.
            RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
            Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
            Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
            RRMedia
            RRExtended
            DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

that is why i believe a nice RRconfig (like the one you did) was needed..hopefully now RR would start to be for the "faint of heart" aswell

Comment

that's all about what i've been talking

RR is great. just a piece of art. and the better... it's free
                but it lacks the same things as the first linux versions: to be user friendly

bluezx3 and all other guys around has been work A LOT to make it better
                the last config releases was a HUGE steps on this way
                now we have an updater, a config, skinchecker, new help file, awesome plug-ins, totally pro style skins and a lot of other usefull things

if we can bring it all together and put some standards, we can make RR even better than all the paid FEs
                that's too much job for 1 single person. guino, blue, cdr and all other guys are dedicating a lot of work and time to bring it to us. and time is money. that's why CF, SD and all other FEs are paid. gotta have a hell of a team to do something to work "out of the shelf"

i plan talk with guino and the other main developers about some team cooperation techniques and give them whatever i can to make it better. I don't really have a lot of time and money, so I can give expertise. believe me that people pay a lot of money for some consultant's time.

RR is free and it's a HUGE thing about it. developing something this big would take months of a hardcore programmers team. so if all that guys loosing their nights and free time can get some help i'm sure they can bring things even better for us all

firgive my bad english, but i'm brazilian just like guino, but i live in brazil (and no, we don't speak spanish down here. it's portuguese :P)

[]s
                Tigra Clube Brasil

Comment

One other main thing that has helped, are a lot of skinners are moving to using a professional installer. This makes installing a skin so much easier! The installer handles putting all of the files in the correct place, registering dll's, allowing many plugins to be installed and ready to use "out of the box". (With permission from the plugin author's of course to include the plugins with the skin)

NOT to toot my own horn here, but I have made installing my skin as painless as possible. I just reformatted my CarPC and reinstalled the OS.

After the OS was installed, it was just a matter of installing Winamp, running Webmasters RR installer, then my Digital FX installer. just about all that was left to set up was for the GPS software I use (iGuidance). All of the plugins (Song rating, RRCam, Pic Viewer, Vehicle Maintenance, Trip Meter, and so forth...) were all registered, paths set, and all ready to go "out of the box".

Liquid Smoke has done the same exact thing (before me actually) making his skin very simple to set up as well. In fact most of the configuration can be done within his skin, and the config editor is not needed for most major things.
                  Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Been using it since it was called "Re-MediaCar" ... what a name Guino. I don't remember when it was release.
                    If Coyote wasn't go away, Road Runner probably wasn't born (or born in a different way).

If you just "jump" on to Road Runner without doing some search and read, you will run into problem.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

i'm doing some research on creating installers on the fly, on the server side

if it's possible and not so resources hungry, we can make it work like a charm
                      the developer would update his part and put it on the main server. than a new installer would be created. no more stress with manual updates

that's not meant for skins or plug-ins, but i think that even that needs some work
                      specially, separeted rr config files for each skin (possibly a new .ini file on skin folder)
                      and plug-ins gotta have their own sub folder

with the skinchecker, a team of few volunteer beta testers can debug the skins that can be submited to a official RR skin library
                      the same with the plug-ins
                      once it's a "official" release, a installer for that skin or plug-in can be made on the server side, the same way as the main app
                      so the skins and plug-ins developers can dedicate their time to the artistic/coding job and leave the system handle the installer.
                      no more misconfigurations and other issues

that's just the tip of the iceberg i've been buiding in my mind

[]s
                      Tigra Clube Brasil

Comment

Originally posted by will_santana View Post

that's not meant for skins or plug-ins, but i think that even that needs some work
                        specially, separeted rr config files for each skin (possibly a new .ini file on skin folder)
                        and plug-ins gotta have their own sub folder
                        Guino incorporated a skin.ini file back at the beginning of the year sometime. WIth my skin, that is where I keep ALL of the stuff pertaining to my skin, and altering the rr.ini is not necessary.

I think the server side install builder could get a bit complicated. Each skin has different needs. The installer program needs to know what individual DLL's per skin need to get registered ect.
                        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Man this thread has gone a bit OT, but its all good information and thoughts..

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                          Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                          RRMedia
                          RRExtended
                          DFXVoice

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                            Guino incorporated a skin.ini file back at the beginning of the year sometime. WIth my skin, that is where I keep ALL of the stuff pertaining to my skin, and altering the rr.ini is not necessary.

I think the server side install builder could get a bit complicated. Each skin has different needs. The installer program needs to know what individual DLL's per skin need to get registered ect.
                            i've hear about it, but never got time to take a deeper look into the subject. thanks for the info

as for the installer, guess the plug-in/skin developer should give all the needed dlls along with it. and let the installer do the trick of checking/registering it
                            but the skin folder gotta be standardized before. i mean, puting the right stuff on the right sub folder.
                            guess moving the images and .skin files isn't a good idea, but there's no standard for the .dll and plug-ins

actually i have an idea for the plug-ins control... but this is not the place for it

[]s
                            Tigra Clube Brasil

Comment

YA, all the plugins should be in the plugin folder, which is where I put all mine!

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                              Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                              RRMedia
                              RRExtended
                              DFXVoice

Comment

Working...