RR laggy- How to optimize RR for a slow system and what skin to use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR laggy- How to optimize RR for a slow system and what skin to use

I am currently running RoadRunner with Simplistique using Winamp for audio and Mapmonkey for GPS.
    This setup runs on a C3 800mhz CPU with 512 MB RAM and a 40GB 2.5" HDD and is set in my Opel Corsa in Chennai, India,

The OS is nlited Win XP stripped down to ~200MB with most useless services killed.
    My windows startup is around 15 seconds from the POST screen so I presume the OS is fairly optimized

The problem I am facing is that Roadrunner seems to be very laggy.

-If I click on the music icon on the home screen, it takes 2+ seconds for the music screen to come up

- If I click on the vol up/down buttons, the actual adjustment happens after 2+ seconds

- Searching for music is extremely laggy and does not emulate the "J" hotkey on winamp, i.e. it won't find a song until i type in the exact name

Which brings me to my questions:

a) Is there a skin that is optimized for relatively low end configurations

b) Are there any config edits in RR that would help me improve the response times

I could do a trial-and-error on different skins and setting combinations to resolve this, or dig into the collective knowledge base of mp3car users :-)

The latter is obviously preferred
    Thanks for the help folks..

For low end systems, I'd recommend:

-Playing with the Fastmode= setting in RR.INI (try: -1, 0, 1 and 2 to see)
    -A Skin that does NOT use FLASH, and is the same size as your screen's resolution
    -Disable transitions: transition=-1 in RR.INI
    -Disable gestures: usegestures=false in RR.INI
    -Use Winamp 2.95 -- remove any plugins from it that you do not use
    -Do NOT use the GPS setting in RR itself, leave that only to Mapmonkey

There's no reason why RR should lag 2 secs to control volume -- even my Pentium 200 Mhz with 64Mb RAM and 4Gb HD running Win98SE has immediate effect over the volume.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

PreLoad your skin files in rr.ini to avoid the menu lags.

Try mapping your volume control in rrconfig to main, wave, etc and see which works best. (this method is for weak sound cards)

You can try my skin, it runs on a similar platform (1ghz via, 200 MB nlited embedded OS) and is very fast.
      Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

thanks guys..I'll try out both the suggestions over the weekend

The only thing that I now need is a tip on how to get the song search function in RR to emulate the J hotkey on winamp

Comment

How to speed up Road Runner on a slower system

There are also some other things to do to help RR run smoother on a slower system. There is a FAQ on this HERE
          Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Remove any antivirus, popup blockers, firewalls and adblockers. Since you will more than likely not be using internet too much in your car you do not need this stuff. Do a virus check on a different computer on the files before you add them to your carputer and you will be fine.
            All these things take a significant amount of memmory and really are not need on unconnected computers.
            I will probably get a lot of flac from this, but really think about it. How is your computer going to get infected if there is no means of transporting the virus to your computer.
            New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
            New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
            "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

@ThunderStick
              Did you completely read his first post, he said that he was already running a very stripped down xp, so I woud pretty much assume that he doesn't have any of that running anyway...
              RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
              Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
              Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
              RRMedia
              RRExtended
              DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Is this the latest version of RR

I have the same issue with volume... takes a lifetime to respond on a via epia EN 1.5

.... been tearing my hair out to figure out why.

Comment

BTW

when i hit the volume buttons, and volume buttons "only" the CPU usage goes up to about 80 for RR, not winamp.

Any hints?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue ZX3 View Post
                    @ThunderStick
                    Did you completely read his first post, he said that he was already running a very stripped down xp, so I woud pretty much assume that he doesn't have any of that running anyway...
                    I assume nothing... Stripped down may mean he is sitting in front of his computer with only his shorts on and playing a heated game of leisure suit larry on windows xp.

Comment

There are alot of people on these forums still using this type of slow outdated setup.
                      As guino said also use a skin with out a ton of labels, surprisingly too many labels on a menu screen can slow down the way things work as well.
                      Be sure to not strip down XP too far. Some components that you would think are un-necessary to run maybe necessary for RR to run consistent and smooth....

Comment

Sorry to thread jack

However,

I believe it's the new RR and the new RR config.

I have done a system restore to a previous version of RR, and when i hit the volume buttons, the respond immediately... in face i can see each number whiz by from 0-10.

In the newest version it delays, and when i hold the button down, it can jump from 0-100 a few seconds later, as it seems there's no response.

I'm not accusing anyone here, but that's what worked for me. I can't really imagine why though.

BTW my specs are listed in profile, with a 11 second cold boot so i assume the PC is not that slow.

Comment

Working...
                        X