Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winamp skipping and stuttering... fixed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Winamp skipping and stuttering... fixed

    I didn't find any thread with this exact problem here, so here's the short version: I fixed my WinAMP (and other players too) skipping and stutter problem by disabling the wireless connection, which is a Belkin 802.11g PCI card.

    The long version is that there were spikes in CPU usage from a base of about 5-10% to about 40-50% and that's when the audio would stutter. Other things I tried, but which didn't work:

    -Reduce and Turn off Hardware Acceleration for audio device
    -Kill all unnecessary processes (wupdate, touchscreen, GPS serial emulator, Bluetooth, rundll32, etc.)
    -Increase Winamp buffer to 10MB (whole song)
    -Reduce Winamp quality to Half.
    -Set WinAMP priority to Realtime.

    I read somewhere else that disabling the WiFi card worked for someone, and sure enough that did the trick. Now CPU usage stays at about 2-5% flat for the whole song, and more importantly the audio doesn't stutter anymore. The WiFi connection is just set to Disabled, so I can enable it just fine if I need it. I don't know if it's a Belkin driver or Windows XP's Zero Configuration hunting for a signal (might be helped with WiFi Hopper) or what but it's just another annoyance.

    Specs: PC Chips M863G, 1.2GHz AMD Mobile Duron, 256MB DDR SDRAM, WD400 40Gb HDD, Belkin 802.11g WiFi PCI (disabled), SBO2 Touchscreen, Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle, Earthmate LT-20 USB GPS, M2-ATX HV power supply.
    Elantra GT 1.2GHz Duron, RoadRunner & LSX Void 3.2. Status: Stable...

  • #2
    Originally posted by cobase View Post
    I didn't find any thread with this exact problem here, so here's the short version: I fixed my WinAMP (and other players too) skipping and stutter problem by disabling the wireless connection, which is a Belkin 802.11g PCI card.

    The long version is that there were spikes in CPU usage from a base of about 5-10% to about 40-50% and that's when the audio would stutter. Other things I tried, but which didn't work:

    -Reduce and Turn off Hardware Acceleration for audio device
    -Kill all unnecessary processes (wupdate, touchscreen, GPS serial emulator, Bluetooth, rundll32, etc.)
    -Increase Winamp buffer to 10MB (whole song)
    -Reduce Winamp quality to Half.
    -Set WinAMP priority to Realtime.

    I read somewhere else that disabling the WiFi card worked for someone, and sure enough that did the trick. Now CPU usage stays at about 2-5% flat for the whole song, and more importantly the audio doesn't stutter anymore. The WiFi connection is just set to Disabled, so I can enable it just fine if I need it. I don't know if it's a Belkin driver or Windows XP's Zero Configuration hunting for a signal (might be helped with WiFi Hopper) or what but it's just another annoyance.

    Specs: PC Chips M863G, 1.2GHz AMD Mobile Duron, 256MB DDR SDRAM, WD400 40Gb HDD, Belkin 802.11g WiFi PCI (disabled), SBO2 Touchscreen, Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle, Earthmate LT-20 USB GPS, M2-ATX HV power supply.
    ya i know pretty crazy. I had to do the same thing a while back to get my music from stop skipping. I'm sure it's Windows Zero Config causing the problem hunting for a signal. I placed a shortcut on my desktop so i could easily turn back on the wireless whenever I needed to update the weather or anything of that sorts. glad u got it figured out
    My 2003 Mercedes C230 Carlsson w/ carputer

    Comment


    • #3
      I noticed the same problem after installing some wardriving stuff. I think it was WinPcap that did it. I did a driver rollback and the problem went away. So did WinPcap
      Christmas Car Project 2008

      ArrowDash Skin Worklog

      Comment

      Working...
      X