Serial Communication over usb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Communication over usb

I searched for about a half hour and could not find if anyone has made a plug in so that serial data could be sent to a usb port for displaying on their screen in RR.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    ~Qman

"serial data" is very broad.

USB is serial data. "Universal Serial Bus".

If you are referring to a DB9 serial port to USB converter they exist but not all work with all devices.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I think he wants something to go from outside to inside the PC an be displayed on the PC screen that shows RR like a plugin... But i dunno...
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Cheapest/quickest way:

Make a plugin to read formated data from a Serial port and set a variable in RR.

Buy a USB-Serial converter and plug your serial device on it.

Otherwise You'll have to make your device a generic HID complient device, then make your plugin read directly from it -- which isn't all that hard either, but the hardware side is not that simple unless you use some off-the shelf chip for that purpose.

Question is: Do you have a device that provides information already ? or are you developing it ? Cause displaying the data in RR is the easiest part, polling it from the device is what you need to worry about -- and that only depends on the device itself.
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino View Post
          Cause displaying the data in RR is the easiest part, polling it from the device is what you need to worry about

You sure about that

COM objects are not my forte, so it has taken a while for me to get a .NET C# plugin to semi work. Hardware is the easy part!!!

Comment

Working...
          X