RoadRunner Website

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoadRunner Website

I don't see too much interest in this, but I know it would be a godsend for the RR community as right now it is royal pain in the *** to find anything for RR. If you need anyhelp, just ask. as I said before, I do have hosting space available.

As a Start for the time being, here is ftp access to a special folder. If anyone can upload anything and everything they have about RR with a text file describing what it is (Zip Archive). Or anything related to a CarPC, excluding anything specific to another frontend.

Of course, any abuse and I will have to take it down.

Username:ftp35394832-0
    Pass: rrusers
    server:s88339146.onlinehome.us

Trench

RoadRunner Website

I am willing to create a website similar to www.mediaengine.org for RoadRunner software, as well as host it on my own server. It will have to be off of a dyndns since my server is hooked to a Cable Modem, however I have an extra 30+ GB of space I can give out thats just wasting away. I can host skins and whatever files (like the star trek skin no one can find). We would need to decide on who has administrative access to the site's control panel. Login would be mandatory for admins, but optional for all others. Signing up would possibly link you to a monthly newsletter?? Something for updates etc. RoadRunner can be coded to look at this site for updates as well, since it will be running a myPHP database. This site will be served at around 1 Mbit/s. Not REALLY fast, but this isn't a really large user base either.

The site is php based and will allow the creators to upload new builds, sources, and whatever without ever opening an ftp program or editing an html file.

Let me know what you all think.
    Get MediaEngine !!!
    Media Engine Download

Comment

I like the idea. I could possibly donate some bandwidth if needed as I have a hosting plan that I pretty much don't use. Windows based with 1&1.

Comment

some members dont have a dedicated website to host skins or files, we have to use free file hosting servers meaning adds all over the place, so all the help is welcomed guys. if my skin wasnt a dead project i would probably ask you for some space...
        BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
        RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
        WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
        RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
        Bird York -- In The Deep --

Comment

kinda OT but has anyone spoken with guino lately? Just wondering if everything is ok with him, havent seen him around here in some time.

Comment

He is traveling for business. As for the website, it will host everything. Nothing "off site" and I do believe I can set it up so you can upload a plugin, a skin, or whatever, and it will categorize them for easy searching. This won't be some pre-made thing like nuke, but I will have to code it in php. If anyone has some ideas on what it should do, or how it should look let me know. Post photoshop'd images of websites if you like.
            Get MediaEngine !!!
            Media Engine Download

Comment

Is the idea of a dedicated roadrunner website still on the table?

Believe me it's needed, and needed like last year needed! Like Trench said, it is a royal pain in the butt finding specific information for roadrunner nowadays because there is so much scattergun info all over the road runner forums. Too many half-answered questions in too many different posts. Too much teaching over the newbies heads when they ask questions with a another heap of scatter-gun'n dumped on top. It's like walking through a big 50 acre garbage heap. S#!# everywhere! but it's not really @#$%, it's necessary info to make roadrunner work. But it is so much trouble to find it and sort through it, that it is sometimes not even worth it.

And this is EXACTLY why people think roadrunner is hard to set up! If we clean up, people will see that it is not that hard to set up!

In closing, I am willing to help in any way possible. I am more than for RR website!
              ATTENTION FELLOW CAR PC ENTHUSIASTS, POWER ACOUSTIC = CAR PC KRYPTONITE!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

To my adoring fans, No my Toyota's gas pedal didn't get stuck! Instead I saw you crossing the street and decided to floor it! Unfortunately, I MISSED!!!

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to have a place that has all the skins and plugins and everything all together. But not just the skin, a screen shot of the skin so someone can browse through it and find something they like. Hopefully it will take a little redundancy out of some of the latests posts (weather is broken...) and maybe have a picture guide of how easy it actually is to set up RR.
                2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
                Car PC Progress:
                Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
                Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
                Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
                RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
                View my
                Worklog
                Road Runner Skins
                Website
                Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Was also thinking it would be great to have a bug tracking system. Which would then have announcements on say the front page when an issue has been corrected.

Comment

i was thinking of building something very similar to www.mediaengine.org. Go there and look at how its layed out.
                    Get MediaEngine !!!
                    Media Engine Download

Comment

Here's the thing:

There ae alot of people working on lots of different aspects for RR.

Guino is the father, but the kids are running nuts with the product. This is a good thing as developement is expotential at that point and there is no limit to how far it can go.

However, everyone has thier own idea of what to build how to distribute thier stuff. Some like to know where when and how stuff is going out.

Understandable, they put a lot of time and effort into it. It's only right that they should control it.

The two big skins for RR are on private sites, and it's been broached many times about hosting at other sites when bandwidth has been exceeded, etc. The response was "it ain't gonna happen". Fair enough. They built it, the give it away for free, that's only fair.

Guino has a site with most of his apps anyways. He also has a skins section for those who want to host there. So i'd say there already is a RR website.

Guino's.

And if tyhat isn't big enough for you, there's another site for rr and ll it's skins.

It's called mp3car.com.

It's all here, The bug tracking forum, the skins, the plugins, they all have forums/threads and there's more people willing to help and knowledgable about everything RR related.

You just have to know where to look...............
                      For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                      Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Actually guino's 'site' does not host the skins or plugins, just the main binary, source, and beta binaries.

The site that you refer to was hosted by Gobby, but twice now he has let the domain name lapse and unfortunately there is no way to access those skins/plugins at the moment.

We have MobileEffects which is not RoadRunner specific which can host skins and plugins if developers want.

And we also have CarPC.net which is hosted by w3bm45ter, which has plugins and skins on (although the skins one has not been updated for a while)

What we don't have is a consildated and stable location for all the skins and plugins that authors are happy to have hosted elsewhere.

However as GW just mentioned, there is MP3Car.com while offers hosting, but there is no pretty RoadRunner HTML page.

Now what would be nice is a RoadRunner site, which looks professional (No offence meant G), has some of the feature that CarComp has for MediaEngine, can have pages with descriptions and downloads for plugins and skins plus the main program files. (The downlaods for the plugins and links can be just links to the authors sites if they so wish)

Now it is very generous of CarComp to offer hosting and design so I think he should have had more responses to this thread than he has, however I have one question for him.

"Why are you showing so much interest in RoadRunner all of a sudden, and how does your interest in RoadRunner affect MediaEngine?"

Actually that was two questions in one, but hey I'm a cheapskate.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post

The site that you refer to was hosted by Gobby, but twice now he has let the domain name lapse and unfortunately there is no way to access those skins/plugins at the moment................
                          Didn't know that, haven't been there in a while..........................

oh well.
                          For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                          Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

There are a few things that are necessary for this to be succesful:

- An easy to remember (and search for) url. I don't know guino's site by memory, I have a bookmark for it, which works for me, but something simple and easy to remember will work better. If I search for "Road Runner Skins" on google, This forum is the first result and the next sub-result. The second result is my own page for my skins (strange it's that high on the search) and THEN the third is guino's page.

- An organized, clean, professional design that has all the most up to date information. The problem right now is there are thousands upon thousands of threads here, some projects half finished, etc. A place to get all the info without a huge amount of searching would be ideal. When there is an update, it should show on the main page.

- Dedication from the members of this forum, especially the big names. Guino would be the first, if we can't get him on board, there's not a whole lot of point to continue further. He is big poppa, and what poppa bear says, goes. Next, we need Liquid Smoke, JohnWPB, MGD, sonicxtacy02, enforcer, etc. These members have contributed so much to this program and where they go, the minions will follow.

- Easy to upload and make changes. I have my files hosted on my own website, but the information there is less current than my skin thread in this forum. It's just a little easier to post something on this forum than to open up my site editor, and make the changes I need.

- Concise information. The site should be a place to find the files and the most important info that we need to know. More detailed information (and answers to questions, etc.) are things that are perfect for this forum. If a user wants to find out how to set up a certain plug-in the directions will be on the site, but if they need more info, they should be directed back to the thread here to ask the person who made the plug-in (or have the answer already if it's in the thread.)

Also, I agree with enforcer, it seems a little strange that carcomp wants to help, he has been praising mediaengine for so long and so hard, it's just a little strange. But, if his intentions are genuine, it's a great offer and we all would appreciate something like what he has suggested.

It's a good idea, but a good idea with bad implementation is worse than no implementation at all.
                            2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
                            Car PC Progress:
                            Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
                            Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
                            Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
                            RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
                            View my
                            Worklog
                            Road Runner Skins
                            Website
                            Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
                              it seems a little strange that carcomp wants to help, he has been praising mediaengine for so long and so hard, it's just a little strange.
                              I believe he is co-developer with phat_bastard or that's way it comes across to me.

Hence my (probably misplaced) scepticism

Comment

Working...
                              X