Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anybody working on getting Garmin Mobile PC embedded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anybody working on getting Garmin Mobile PC embedded?

I've been trying to get it into RR by following the documented procedures for embedding apps and/or calling it as an external GPS, but it doesn't seem to want to play nice with RR. It more or less functions OK, but I want to hide the title bar and also I haven't had much luck getting a RR OSK to properly interact with it.

A couple of problems I've run into are...

1. It always opens on top. I've had some success with opening a very basic OSK made to look like a skin over the top of it, but getting an OSK to act like a skin isn't easy.
    2. RR OSKs don't function quite right. Namely the backspace key doesn't work. Third-party OSKs work nicely with it.
    3. Mobile PC minimum screen size is 800x480. This isn't a major problem, but it doesn't leave much room for other buttons or labels next to it.

I'm an extreme noob at skinning RR. I was hoping someone else was working on this that may be having some success or knows some other methods I don't know.

Thanks…..
    Mark
    --------------------------------
    Project completed! (almost)

My Truck as featured in Custom Classic Trucks magazine.

I'd be very keen to see a skin for mobile PC also as I've just purchased it for use on my new RR based PC.

I'm happy to donate to anyone who supplies such a thing...... I think there's some serious talent on this board, serious talent and I'm very respectful of the time people put into doing these things for lesser talented people and I'm happy to pay for what I use.

Comment

post a screenie of how it looks when u try it.. maybe we can come up with a solution right there.
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I'll do that in the next week or so if Mark doesn't get chance before me, still waiting on my maps and gps receiver to show up.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Right now my skins are just plain gray backgrounds. A screenshot doesn't really tell the story very well. I'll play with it some more and see if I can't put together some kind of log to document what I'm doing.

My post is primarily to see if any of the expert skinners out there are working on integrating Mobile PC properly into RR. As originally stated, it doesn't seem to act like most applications do when manipulated by RR and my inexperience is causing me to spend a lot of time with what are probably poorly hacked solutions.

Comment

its gonna be awfully hard for someone without the program (ie 99% of us) to troubleshoot ur embedding problems without a screenshot showing how the program is not embedding properly. If your skin is a grey skin it doesnt really matter just as long as we can see how RR is succeeding/failin at embedding it.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by mstaedt View Post
              It more or less functions OK, but I want to hide the title bar
              Embedding strips the titlebar & borders from the program window, it doesn't just hide it so if it's not doing this then you should be looking at what you put for the 'window name' in setup. Maybe you need to use the class name instead.

Window name = Garmin Mobile PC (I don't use it or RR but this is what they use embedding into other FE's)
              Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Ok, here goes....

I went back to the BVM2 skin which is what I was originally using when I was trying to get this to work.

First 2 screen shots are where I simply set Mobile PC as my external GPS

You can see in the second shot that the Garmin title bar is there
                Attached Files

Comment

Opening an OSK will put the OSK over Mobile PC (I figured out it actually opens over the top of EVERYTHING), but some of the keys don't work, i.e. the "backspace" key. There may be others, but I quit messing with it after that.

BTW, is it normal for the "Externel_GPS" skin to disappear when an OSK is opened?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here you can see where I can pull Mobile PC away from the skin, exposing the clipped region. If I close or exit the externel_GPS screen and reopen it, Mobile PC will open whever it was when it was closed. BUT, if I hit the "maximize" button on the Mobile PC window, it will maximize for a second, then go back to where it belongs.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is where I tried to embed it as an application. IIRC, it didn't work when I tried to use just the window name, "Garmin Mobile PC" in the .ini file, so I had to resort to it's class name.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is where it gets kind of weird.. now if I pull Mobile PC away from the skin, it will snap right back, but it leaves a completely non-functional shadow on the desktop. Clicking that shadow will cause the standard Windows title bar to appear, which IS functional (i.e. I can maximize, minimize, or close Mobile PC with the 3 buttons). But Mobile PC is only functional through the window still attached to RR. Similarly to the other method, if I close Mobile PC then re-open it, it will open in the offset position where I last dragged it. BUT, it will snap back to where it belongs, still leaving that shadow.
                        Attached Files

Comment

LASTLY... when I close RR, Mobile PC is still open and functional. My understanding is that RR is supposed to close all apps that it opened before it closes.

Some threads in the GPS forum suggest that others are experiencing the same behavior, which leads me to believe that Mobile PC is going to be kind of a bastard to embed. That's when I started messing with "work arounds" to just try to make it look like it was embedded (i.e. cover up the title bar with a custom OSK).

Thanks for taking a look at it!
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mstaedt View Post
                            LASTLY... when I close RR, Mobile PC is still open and functional. My understanding is that RR is supposed to close all apps that it opened before it closes.

Some threads in the GPS forum suggest that others are experiencing the same behavior, which leads me to believe that Mobile PC is going to be kind of a bastard to embed. That's when I started messing with "work arounds" to just try to make it look like it was embedded (i.e. cover up the title bar with a custom OSK).

Thanks for taking a look at it!
                            Mark
                            I wish I had the time to play with this. I really like the way GMPC looks and I hear it works well but of course, I am upset that they didn't include OSK.
                            If you get this to work, I will gladly dump iGuidance and go this route.

Good luck and thanks for your efforts!
                            "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -AE

Comment

Originally posted by bambam View Post
                              If you get this to work, I will gladly dump iGuidance and go this route.

Comment

Working...
                              X