Music Recognition -> Download Now Button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Recognition -> Download Now Button

I know the technology for this is there, but don't know about the software....you're listening to a radio song, and say to yourself, "BOOM BAW BWO WOW WHOA BO BA....Man, I LOVE THIS SONG!" So you reach over and click "download this song"...then the software starts to listen to the song through your mic, recognizes the song, and downloads it. BOOM! Now you have it. Legal wise - yeah, download it to your account which you pay for
    Planning: Still a good year+ from buying my new car, but here's the plan so far:
    • [HL]Yellow Car[/HL] - unknown make/model, hence the avatar
    • System Specs

I know the new iPhone has that feature built in, and from what I read with testing works 95% of the time, even in noisy environments.

I think there a couple websites you can do this with, but I am not sure....
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Most new Sony erricson phone's come with this also.
      they call it trackID http://www.sonyericsson.com/product/trackid/
      I believe it used the gracenote server information http://www.gracenote.com/

It does work really well and has found most songs I've tried. it takes about a 10sec sample.
      View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

I have a feature like this working in my skin that I will hopefully be releasing in the next week or two....although it doesnt work exactly like you say...instead it takes the idea of saving a song title and artist you are listening to with Sirius and has a button where you can automatically download the song using JohnWPB's Jukebox...it wasnt all that hard to get to work...but it is there...as far as taking the song and somehow having a piece of software interpret it...I can't imaging how that would work without having a huge database to compare the sounds of the song to....I'm sure its possible...I've just never really seen it in action...

.:[ x10's GMLAN ]:.

Sirius Channels Update

Comment

Well I solved it

Out of curiosity, I did a little searching and came up with Tunatic.

It's a small program that has a button to make it start listening to whatever is playing, either on your line in, mic ect. It transmits this to the net, and comes back with the name of the song.

I embedded the small app in a test skin, and it is working perfectly. So far, no matter how obscure the song I seem to throw at it, it identifies it in around 5 seconds or so.

The tunatic program is pretty tiny, with small fonts, and not going to be easy to read in the car really, but in a proof of concept it seems to work pretty well!

NOTE: There is a dll in the program directory (pthreadVC2.dll), and maybe that handles the communications and such... If someone that know more about that type stuff can figure it out, it may give more options to getting the info into it retrieves into RR labels
          Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
            Well I solved it

Out of curiosity, I did a little searching and came up with Tunatic.......

Nice catch John, I have (had) a few songs i wasn't sure of and this program nailed them real quick.
            If you cant DODGE em, RAM em.

Comment

Awesome progress already guys. The idea is that most people with a carpc will not have internet paid through a service provider. Instead, will have wiFI to play with internet in their driveway, in front of a restaurant, etc. etc. Is there somehow to store the song information retrieved from tunatic or other so later (either automatically (that would be nice) or manually) when an internet connection is found, the song gets downloaded?
              Planning: Still a good year+ from buying my new car, but here's the plan so far:
              • System Specs

Comment

Using the HD radio, cant you just grab the title and artist of the song and then do a search that way. Usually that info is listed from the radio station, and this type of info is allready available using RR labels. Also most radio stations broadcast this type of text (I think it is called RDS). No need for an internet connection for song ID anyway.
                New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

It would not be hard to make a "music identification skin" A button to identify if you are connected to the internet. Another button to record say 20 seconds of the currently playing song. This could then be played back when you have Internet access to identify it.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

I think the easiest thing would be for software such as tunatic find the song information and store a database somewhere. then, when you have internet connection, hit a "download all" button that downloads all those songs
                    • System Specs

Comment

Originally posted by fillthemup View Post
                      I think the easiest thing would be for software such as tunatic find the song information and store a database somewhere. then, when you have internet connection, hit a "download all" button that downloads all those songs
                      Yea, that would be great, but how are you going to get the tuneatic to keep from looking for for Internet, and make it save the info to a database?

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Haha, you bring up a good point, sir, one very good point that I have overlooked

So, lets look at our options:
                        1) Record 20 seconds of the song (hey, when it's replayed for tunatic, we'll just jam it out again!)
                        2) Pay for internet
                        3) ALSO have the song title pulled from the regular radio (when available) and Sirius XM radio

My vote 1) and 3)
                        • System Specs

Comment

some people already have 2) figured out, so for some that's no issue.
                          2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
                          Car PC Progress:
                          Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
                          Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
                          Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
                          RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
                          View my
                          Worklog
                          Road Runner Skins
                          Website
                          Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

It's not so much figuring it out, more of a, I just spent $2,000 on my carpc, do I really want to spend $50 more a month just for internet-i-won't-use-unless-i'm-parked-at-which-point-i'll-be-in-a-wifi-hot-zone-already-anyways
                            • System Specs

Comment

Well I found that program, and couldnt stop, I wanted it in my skin hahah!

Here is a screen Cap:

Basically you can look up the song that you are listening to live, or click the record sample button that will save 20 seconds of the playing song to a .wav file. Then when you have Internet, select the sample from the list, click play and it will identify it.

The toggle identify button is a much larger area to click, that will click the very tiny icon in the app window for you.

When a sample is recording, an indicator displays, as well as the countdown from 20 seconds to let you know it is actually recording something.

The main problem is there is no way that I have found to get the text from the window, in this case Don't Stop Believing by Journey. You will have to remember it, write it down, or use the scribble pad to take note of the name and artist.

I tried 2 window info tools, as well as reshacker on the exe and the dll and can find no way whatsoever to copy the text out of the app

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X