custom list of installed fonts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom list of installed fonts

How do I create a custom list of installed fonts.
    Need this for the font picker in my skin. I have worked with a couple different ideas but came up with nothing that would allow me to view the installed windows fonts from a list in RR.
    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

In my skin, I did not make ALL fonts avail in a list. Thats just a bit overkill, and a lot of the fonts will not work. Meaning, some have a much different kern, and will not fit on a button label ect.

My installer installs like 4 different fonts for use with the skin. Then in the skin folder I just put a png of what the font looks like, named the same as the font, Arial.png for instance. When you select one in the list, you then see a preview of it. If you select change font, it just saves the LISTTEXT without the png on the end, and adds the .fnt
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

there is a little script floating around that does what you are asking, i think DavidP is the first one who implemented this feature to his skin, MKIII skin has that as well, if you want it i can send it to you as well.
      BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
      RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
      WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
      RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
      Bird York -- In The Deep --

Comment

You can get them down to a text file by

start-run-cmd

cd to c:/windows/fonts

dir > c:/fonts.txt

or

dir > c:/program files/road runner/skins/blades edge/fonts.txt

This will write a listing to a file called fonts.txt to whatever directory you specify. This can be made into a simple batch script too.

Now the list is there in txt, but how to display that in RR will take some thought.
        Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

I think john has the important thing to remember: not all fonts will display in your skin the way you want it to.

Find a few fonts that have the right spacing, the right size, etc. And make a .png image of the font, then save it to a /DEFINE tag with that variable on each font.

If you have every single font available, you'll have some that stretch beyond the button area, and you'll have some that aren't really readable at all (webdings, for example.)

Davidp's progression skin has this feature I think.
          2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
          Car PC Progress:
          Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
          Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
          Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
          RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
          View my
          Worklog
          Road Runner Skins
          Website
          Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by blk02si View Post
            You can get them down to a text file by

start-run-cmd

cd to c:/windows/fonts

dir > c:/fonts.txt

or

dir > c:/program files/road runner/skins/blades edge/fonts.txt

This will write a listing to a file called fonts.txt to whatever directory you specify. This can be made into a simple batch script too.

Now the list is there in txt, but how to display that in RR will take some thought.
            I can get RR to list a directory listing, but the file names do not allways match the font name. Which is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
              I think john has the important thing to remember: not all fonts will display in your skin the way you want it to.

Find a few fonts that have the right spacing, the right size, etc. And make a .png image of the font, then save it to a /DEFINE tag with that variable on each font.

If you have every single font available, you'll have some that stretch beyond the button area, and you'll have some that aren't really readable at all (webdings, for example.)

I realize this and in New Age I basically just gave options of 6 that work. I was just looking for something a little more "dynamic" user configurable.
              I will keep working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post

I actually came up with something a little different and works well. But it still reads a list of fonts instead of the installed ones.

Comment

Working...
                X