Almost one year later, where are we?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost one year later, where are we?

As we draw closer and closer to the year's anniversary of the last RR release I gotta ask what's really going on here? I mean its quite clear that its something, but what? The only way RR has survived in the last year is because of the support of its users... and thats great really. It shows the true strength of the community. But its also led to a series of compounded problems which has resulted in multiple broken versions of one piece of software. Nothing we're not getting through, but nothing any new user of RR could possibly understand. Now on this board we've seen this happen before a few times in similar ways.. with phoco and CF and streetdeck... and i ask.. is that the same direction RR is taking now? Alot of people, myself included work hours a week on this program and subsequent support apps, scripts, skins and plugins and i just think it would be fair to know if its all for nothing at this point.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

to me the carpc community is still a niche product. as long as no major manufacturers start to include pc functionality into their cars (because margins for inbuilt gps oem solutions are much higher) there is no real competition in software frontends (+gps etc.)

this also affects open source projects. once 2-4 real commercial solutions are out, open source is also profiting of it because more people are going this path to have the freedom of choice.

Comment

Sonic,

We must both be on the same wave length because I came into this section to post something very similar.. There have been many individual updates made to the RR source since the last release and most of these changes have been made to older RR Source code since the latest version is not available for download..

Can we track some of the updates that have been made..

Mitch's Sirus Code updates
      John's Weather Fix
      Progressive Sliders

Is there anything else anyone can think off also does guino have record of all the changes to merge in to the next release..

Comment

well.. thanks to GUNIO, adding HD Radio to Roadrunner, i have sold a bunch of cables

mitch
        -Thanks
        Mitch
        www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
        May healing waters bury all my pain
        Wind, Carry me home
        The fabric of reality is tearing apart
        The piece of me that died
        Will return To live again

Comment

We, as a Road Runner community have some great minds. It is understandable that some people have alot to do in their lives and can't spend the time they realy would like to spend on the project. It seems to me that this Open Project is not as open as it was.
          Mitch is one great guy and fixes all kind of problems based on an OLD source. The last released version of RR, (Weather fixed) had the solid sliders and broke some other things.
          If Guino does not want to continue with this project, like Cayote, the original starter of that project, this is understandable. I think we need the last source from Guino and let Mitch, if he wants to, continue and fix it to a point that we have a nice working front end with album art and solid sliders fixed. After that we can just work with plugins to enhance it even further as we do now. Blue's nice media engine is one of them. Alot of people write even Autoit scripts to do what we want to enhance. I think if we stick together we can have a nice front end what can't be toppled by others.

Comment

Some changes still require enhancements to the source code..

Has any thought been given to adding RR to Source Forge.. Where it would be easier to check in new code, updates provided etc..

This would I guess still require some level of moderation..

Comment

Originally posted by dmistry View Post
              Some changes still require enhancements to the source code..

Has any thought been given to adding RR to Source Forge.. Where it would be easier to check in new code, updates provided etc..

This would I guess still require some level of moderation..
              i think its pretty clear at this point that the source is not being made available because its being altered to the point where its terms of use are no longer valid. Fact of the matter is i believe RR's going commercial.

Comment

Hmm

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                  Got any basis for this theory
                  I went on a hunch...
                  Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Comment

I have posted a couple of times, that talking with Guino, he has just had a lot on his plate, both with work, and in his personal life. One of the main ones being his move back to Brazil. He was not just "visiting" the United States, he had a house, a car, job ect here. It takes a lot to make an international move like that, and one has to prioratize.

There is a lot of speculation right now as to where RR is headed, and I for one totally understand that. Guino has good reason for not releasing the source code since 11/02, and he just does not want to discuss it at this moment. We all just have to respect that. Keep in mind that it is a free product and we really are "due" nothing at all. We can still create, add scripts, plugins and such to better the versions that we do have.

Someone mentioned Street Deck above, that was a TOTALLY different situation. People paid good money for that software, and when you pay for something you have the right to expect more.

RR is certainly a LONG way from being shelved! Since the last source code was released for instance, there are so many new additions to include:

- New database driven Music system, Movie Times, Traffic, OSK for Garmin, the Fusion Brain Plugin, Tire pressure monitor, Parking and backing up plugin, a new gas plugin, VLC Plugin, Speed Limit Plugin and MANY more.....

All of these have been done by people here in the forums, 100% without changing the RR source code.

Then add a large list of about 50 things that Guino fixed and added to RR with the 4 releases this year, with the last just around 3 months ago.

As long as the forums are here, and people are active, RR will very much remain alive, even if "the latest source code" is not made available.

I Emailed Guino a link to this thread, and am in hopes that he will chime in here with some info.
                    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                      I have posted a couple of times, that talking with Guino, he has just had a lot on his plate, both with work, and in his personal life. One of the main ones being his move back to Brazil. He was not just "visiting" the United States, he had a house, a car, job ect here. It takes a lot to make an international move like that, and one has to prioratize.

There is a lot of speculation right now as to where RR is headed, and I for one totally understand that. Guino has good reason for not releasing the source code since 11/02, and he just does not want to discuss it at this moment. We all just have to respect that. Keep in mind that it is a free product and we really are "due" nothing at all. We can still create, add scripts, plugins and such to better the versions that we do have.

Someone mentioned Street Deck above, that was a TOTALLY different situation. People paid good money for that software, and when you pay for something you have the right to expect more.

RR is certainly a LONG way from being shelved! Since the last source code was released for instance, there are so many new additions to include:

- New database driven Music system, Movie Times, Traffic, OSK for Garmin, the Fusion Brain Plugin, Tire pressure monitor, Parking and backing up plugin, a new gas plugin, VLC Plugin, Speed Limit Plugin and MANY more.....

All of these have been done by people here in the forums, 100% without changing the RR source code.

Then add a large list of about 50 things that Guino fixed and added to RR with the 4 releases this year, with the last just around 3 months ago.

As long as the forums are here, and people are active, RR will very much remain alive, even if "the latest source code" is not made available.
                      I do see some of your points.. but the lack of a source isnt the only problem. The plugin addition is GREAT, and everyone knows i've tried to support it since i first learned how to program. But its broken. It wasnt before, but its broken now. That means all those lovely plugins that are out/coming are broken as well. I've personally attempted to correct this and some other little basic stuff with RR but it doesnt appear its wanted. I guess all this answers some of the questions i wanted to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                        Got any basis for this theory
                        educated guess i spose

Comment

Well , like I said, looks like a closed source to me. Maybe a fiew have the inside knowledge of the future of RR. Most of all just want the last source and go from there. Building Plugins for enhancements, but if this is broken, whats the reason for making them anymore. Heck, we can make even a new front end with autoit scripts. I just would like to see that all the last improvements made on an old OPEN Source come together. And then we go from there.

Comment

i been asking myself the very same questions, and how things are lately i wouldn't like to see RR going commercial, and i bet guino wouldn't like that as well, true that we all have family's and jobs, that are more important to code a free software(FREE). if is open source or closed i think is up to the creator only. i'm far away to be as good as most of the big guys around here, and been forced to closed my tiny contributions, all because of some people have been taking advantage from others work, i hope guino is just to busy working and not leaving RR feeling the same way..
                            BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
                            RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
                            WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
                            RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
                            Bird York -- In The Deep --

Comment

Working...
                            X