Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR gps program with Australian maps??

Hi Guys,

Anyone here using RoadRunner, with a GPS program, and using Australian maps??

Or anyone know what I could use?

Have got Sygic GPS Navigation working with RR, but it doesnt have Aussie maps (and it;s a long drive to Europe just ta see how well it works :-)

Regards,

Moby
    Regards,

Moby
    ================================================== ==========
    Case: Morex 2699 MB: Via EPIA M1000G Screen: Hami 8" touch with TV tuner
    GPS: Navibe SiRF III USB WiFi: D-Link DXL G122 USB
    Software: Windows XP, RoadRunner and DigitalFX

your options are destinator or oziexplorer. There are others, but these programs can be easily integrated into RR. Search for Freedrive or Map monkey for destinator integration
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by meddler View Post
      your options are destinator or oziexplorer. There are others, but these programs can be easily integrated into RR. Search for Freedrive or Map monkey for destinator integration
      OK, my understanding is you need to use Destinator v3. However, I am guessing, that there probably aint very up-to-date maps that work on Destinator v3??

And I think OziExplorer is more suited for off road, and does to turn-by-turn autorouting

Doent suppose there is a PDA emulator that integrates into RR and runs TomTom
      Regards,

Moby

Comment

you can use later maps with D3. You can also use D6 with RR.

Your right, Ozi explorer doesn't have turn by turn, but you can use any map you like. Even topo maps. It's and option and it's cheaper than everything else.

There are PDA emulators. You may even be able to get tom tom working in RR, but I don't know of anyone who has done it.

Comment

Sygic does have Australian and NZ maps - I am using them

Comment

Originally posted by deepgrey View Post
            Sygic does have Australian and NZ maps - I am using them
            OK, well, were ya get the maps from??

Doesnt seem ta give me many options for maps (
            Regards,

Moby

Comment

Email them for them and see if they will send them to you.

I think you have to purchase them from Sensis and then let Sygic know you have purchased them and they will send them to you.. or something like that.
              Send them an email and they will tell you the deal.

Comment

Garmin has Aussie maps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinehead View Post
                  Garmin has Aussie maps as well.
                  Yep, I have Garmin Vista hand held, with Australian maps.

HOWEVER, when people here talk about using Garmin, what actual software are they using??

The Garmin Australia doesnt list any PC software, anly hardware devices.
                  Regards,

Moby

Comment

I'd think you could bring maps over to Garmin Mobile PC. I can't be 100% certain they'd work, but it's worth a try.

Comment

I can confirm that Garmin Mobile PC does work with, Garmin City Navigator 2008 (Australian Maps). It works really well and supports GPS's other that Garmin units, unlike nRoute which only worked with the garmin protocol, Mobile pc works with standard NMEA devices.

There will be updates to the Garmin maps as these are the same maps for all of the Garmin Standalone devices.

Garmin Mobile PC can be embedded in RR using the overlay plugin and OSK available here.

From my experience anything that runs Destinator v3 maps is not useful in Aus anymore as the maps are 2005 maps with data from 2003-4. There are a significant number of major roads that do not appear. I run OziExplorer as well as Garmin as they both serve different purposes.

Cheers
                      Thwack
                      Car PC -Jetway J7F2WE2G, 4Gb CF Boot, 32Gb CF Data, 1Gb Ram, M2-ATX PS, 8" 800x600 TS, SiLabs USB Radio, Garmin GPS15L, Ublox SBR-LS DR GPS, Fusion Brain, Multibay Card Reader, Panasonic Slotload DVD+-RW, Custom Fab Steel Case
                      Car- 1988 Nissan Patrol 4WD

Comment

There are later maps than the 2005 maps. I think the last one was 2007Q2

Comment

The Destinator 2007 maps will work with Destinator v5 and above NOT Destinator 3 which Freedrive and MapMonkey work. There have been several methods to "make" these maps work with Destinator 3 but they do not always work.

If you purchase Centrafuse, you will get a runtime version of Destinator v7 and the latest maps. But they will still not work with Destinator v3!!
                          Car PC -Jetway J7F2WE2G, 4Gb CF Boot, 32Gb CF Data, 1Gb Ram, M2-ATX PS, 8" 800x600 TS, SiLabs USB Radio, Garmin GPS15L, Ublox SBR-LS DR GPS, Fusion Brain, Multibay Card Reader, Panasonic Slotload DVD+-RW, Custom Fab Steel Case
                          Car- 1988 Nissan Patrol 4WD

Comment

D7 doesn't have as much of a POI compared to D6 & it's not bad to start off with, Garmin "GMPC" ver 5 is a better layout IMHO, Sygic is crap at routing and I've never bothered with TOMTOM.

These ALL intergrate well in RR, but you will need to make certain adjustments to get it right, for example GMPC you will need an OSK if u don't use a keyboard with ur carpc.

BTW, welcome to the forums
                            New Car PC Build list in progress

Comment

Originally posted by meddler View Post
                              There are PDA emulators. You may even be able to get tom tom working in RR, but I don't know of anyone who has done it.
                              TomTom in Microsoft Device Emulator (Windows Mobile 5) works brilliantly

Comment

Working...
                              X