RR and the Atom 330

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR and the Atom 330

Just curious if anyone has any experience running this cpu. I am looking to build my first system and was considering going this route. My primary purpose is for GPS, Music, occaisional dvd playback, bluetooth phone and a run a fusion brain for accessory controls. I am also wanting to run at least 2 monitors (possiby 4).

any thoughts if this CPU/RR combination will work, or am i barking up the wrong tree

I'm sure it would do the trick. I've used a couple of the intel D945GCLF2 boards in various projects and they're just awesome.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I tried it on a D945GCLF2 (atom 330 1gig ram).

RR out of the box ran pretty smooth, but with the DigitalFX 4.0 skin/theme it became quit inresponsive.

GPS (garmin mobile PC) integration is a pita. keeps screwing up the skin, poping up the taskbar, and locking up.

I've spent i few hours setting everyhting up, just to come to the conclusion that the time I spent wasn't worth it. And have since switched to inCar Terminal (ICT). Which I was able to set up in under 15 minutes, uncluding a stable garmin integration.

ICT has less configurability, but runs mucht smoother and is much simpler to set up.

Comment

Works great over here with an embedded XP operating system running on 4GB PNY Compact Flash. Very quick chip, I would recommend it.

Runs RR just fine with all the bells and whistles.
        Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

I am having no problems with mine. I only have 1gig mem for now and am running tinyxp. I did not know it would work with 4gig. That will make life easier.

Woops just re-read the above post. Never mind the 4gig of memory.

Comment

i'm using the first version of this boards(1.33 mhz) and have no problems at all, i can even use flash skins, i can run coverjuke with no issues, so i guess with the new cpu under 1.6 you will be just fine.
            BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
            RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
            WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
            RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
            Bird York -- In The Deep --

Comment

RR + DFX3 + Iguidance 2009 works great on D201GLY2A, D945GCLF, and D945GCLF2. You can tell I like to upgrade a lot, lol. DFX4 didn't like my music library and crashed so I don't use that skin version.

For the Atom motherboards I had to modify DFX3 skin because it would send the commands twice in my GPS screen.

Comment

blk02si,
                I THINK my wish is to run a farily stripped version of xp on an 8gb cf card, and then use a 500GB sata drive for music/video storage (and be able to hibernate it seperatly to conserve power when the car is not running. I would like to be able to keep the system powered for about 16 hours from a dedicated deep cycle battery i currently have for the audio system (1500Amp/hr).
                what is my best way to run the card for all out performance (cf-ide,cf-usb, sata)?

Comment

I run mine with a cf-ide adapter and it works great and is very quick. Using minlogon and EWF my cold boot times are under 30 seconds and clean shutdown under 2 seconds. I have not played with the new SSD sata disks yet but I'm sure they are pretty quick too, SSD in any form had insane, near instant read speed. Just don't write to them that much

But yeah for the money the Atom is a great buy, its half the price my via M10000 was and its way, way faster at everything.
                  Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

timothyr1014, you would DEFINITELY need EWF if you go the CF route, otherwise the system will be about as responsive as a drunken hill billy.

I'm running my EPIA 800 system off of a CF and micro2003. I was originally going to run a microdrive, but change that at the last second. With a good fast CF card (Sandisk extreme 3) the response was ok, but I went for a cheap 1gb adata card, with a slow slow read/write speed. I'd click on RR, and about 3 minutes later, it would finally display on the screen. Enabled EWF, and the improvement was amazing. My recommendation would be to use EWF plus a dang good CF card. And use an IDE to CF adapter that supports ultra DMA mode. Some only support PIO and are slow slow.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Tidder
                      excuse my ignorance (or it could be i just came off a 30 hour shift and am as responisive as a drunk hill billy)....whats EWF?

Comment

Enhanced Write Filter. It stops Windows from writing to the drive that it's installed on.

Comment

Originally posted by timothyr1014 View Post
                          Tidder
                          excuse my ignorance (or it could be i just came off a 30 hour shift and am as responisive as a drunk hill billy)....whats EWF?
                          Basically it turns windows into a read only install, with all writes to the drive actually being kept track of in ram. It includes some extra controls so you can turn it off to install a new proggy or make config changes to current programs, or just commit the current changes at shutdown, etc. It's actually very nice. It works great on the Acer Aspire One with SSD also btw.
                          Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Thanks all for the input...i have been watching the forums for almost 2 years absorbing and getting ready to start my project and am finally moving forward. My only other concern is the multi-monitor with the D945GCLF2, my thought is to use the onboard as primary and then add a halfway decent dual head PCI card (one display for custom HUD, the other for passenger video)....is there any reason i would end up wanting a pci card, everything else i see adding would be done over usb. Tell me what i a missing cuz money is getting spent tomorrow (my christmas present =)

Comment

Working...
                            X