Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Runner changes it name to Ride Runner + Download link and information

Hello Everyone,

For this release of the software, I wanted to give you some inside news on Road Runner ...

Since November 2007 (yes: 2007) I have transferred copyrights of the Road Runner software (my share of the code) to a company called NISU Automotive SL, based in Madrid, Spain.

NISU Automotive is a company founded by me (Wagner), Antonio (an experienced CEO) and a capital investment called "Grupo 8", a private investment group that has invested money to make this new project a reality.

Of course, the above implies in a few changes. Starting from the time you saw me a little "distant" from the forums while I was working on the code that now belongs to this new company -- a "Pro" version of the software meant to run on specific hardware they'll be manufacturing. I want to assure everyone that any code contributed to the free/open version of RR was either removed, re-coded or a permission was obtained from the author through this process.

Now, Instead of what you may think, NISU is not a software company, but a hardware company. We have been working hard all this time to design our own carpc solution with plenty of functions, and developing the "Pro" version of the software that is meant to control the specific hardware we will be manufacturing (and will be INCLUDED with it -- NOT SOLD), so in the next months a new CarPC (infotainment system) will be on the market with everything included. We will also manufacture some devices that I think will be welcome by all of you -- generally, devices that are small, efficient and with good quality, to mention a few: a bluetooth hands free hardware solution for integrating your phone into your pc's, a power amplifier, an intelligent shut down controller, a radio device, and more.

Now, one of big the changes is in the name of the software: In order to avoid conflicts with Warner Bros regarding the brand Road Runner, we have legally registered the name Ride Runner, which will be the new name for the project from now on.

Regarding Ride Runner (yes, already using the new name) nothing will change for us, users of this forum. There will "always" be a free version of the software -- which will always include the contributions made by users along the years. So please, comments like "this is the beginning of the death of rr" or "companies always destroy good projects like rr" have no place in this company. I am part of NISU, and i think i have never defrauded anyone here, and I've been available to all of you , to make reality that you have a free and fully featured front end in your cars. NISU does not have the intention to change this, and I never intended for that to happen (or I would have started to "Sell" software by itself a long time ago). So the free version will remain free version as it is today, and I will be here with all of you to help, and support, and implement any ideas/solutions you may desire into the software.

So, from this release forward the software will be available at NISU's website for download -- it is still under construction but we have placed the new software installer and update for download (for free) so that you have a reliable/fast location to download from. Since the site was organized under an online shopping page, you'll need to register ONCE (and for free) so you can download the software and/or updates. This also makes it possible for you to receive notifications when a new version of the software is available.

This is where the software will be available from now on:
    www.nisuautomotive.com ("Download Software" link on the top-right of the page)

You'll then go to the software->application section and add what you'd like to download into your cart and proceed to "checkout". If you'd like to be notified about updates to the software, simply check the option during the checkout process.

In regards to working on the source code, anyone wishing to do this may use one of the previously released sources to add/modify it as necessary then send me the changes so I can merge them into the software. Or you may want to write me directly to talk about it first (since most things these days can be accomplished with extension plugins).

I'll be updating my personal website (guino.home.insightbb.com) and the mirror with information/links as well as the documentation on integration and so on.

Thanks for your continuing support and understanding,
    Guino.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
    Here's to new beginnings . This may come off as a shallow question, but are there images available for the new name of the software? Sorta like the "road runner" image passed around with a custom font?

EDIT

forgive me for bein stupid.. but how the heck do you download anything. The only options i see in firefox are add to cart and review. if i add to cart and process the order nothing happens.
    Here's the step-by-step to download, and the new logo.
    (Start from www.nisuautomotive.com )
    Attached Files
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

I made the first to posts of the original thread to a sticky so this information is easier to find. The original post with all of the comments has gotten buried in the forums.
      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to create a login to download it?
        03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

To anyone who has done this,
          Does this website start filling your inbox with all kinds of emails after creating an account?
          03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

hey gunio will there be a big difference between the pro and the freeware version of it? i'm pretty sure others will be interested in this software if it's reasonably priced congrats on your new venture that's great to hear really happy for you man

Comment

all working well on this side of the water, keep up the good work G.

Comment

Originally posted by keland44 View Post
                hey gunio will there be a big difference between the pro and the freeware version of it? i'm pretty sure others will be interested in this software if it's reasonably priced congrats on your new venture that's great to hear really happy for you man
                The pro will be tailored to the hardware that the company sells. So I suspect it will be more drivers orientated differences.

Comment

Correct, the "Pro Version" is NOT just software. It is a hardware AND software bundle. The pro version can not be installed on anything but the hardware from NISU, as it is custom written to work with that hardware.
                  Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Which makes writing any software just that much easier and more stable when your only dealing with predeterminded hardware set, um...good example would be a Mac... Crap...did I just type that..
                    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                    Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                    RRMedia
                    RRExtended
                    DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Ride Runner Versions Comparison

Originally posted by keland44 View Post
                      Differences between Ride Runner Versions

It is not yet 100% defined, but initially, the differences between the Pro and Standard (we call it "Basic" at NISU), are basically the license terms.

Basic: The basic version allow users to make use of the software for personal use and without any commercial transaction in between. Briefly, this means, you download the software and you install it your self in your own system. For details in the license terms, click here: Ride Runner license terms.

Pro: The Pro version, will be similar to the basic version, (probably with some changes and some considerations which are pending to determine), but a license fee will apply. This version is mandatory to be used for commercial purposes, ie: Carpc's resellers that would like to sell a complete product hard+soft, companies providing services for carpc installations, etc. The Pro version, will also have support from NISU customer assitance service, or from the Value Added Reseller 'VAR' network.

And all of you -people in this forum- might be thinking.. "who is going to pay for a license if i can get it for free ?". You have the answer in your hand and you're not aware of this. You are lucky. You are familiarized with technology and you are an enthusiastic of cars & technology. It could also be possible that your software knowledge is limited, but you are here intending to do it your self, getting support from the community forum.

Now, think about a housewife or a lawyer, or... 'a lot of people out there', whose knowledge of technology is limited to end user of office applications, or simply do not like to install by themselves anything, preffering to purchase something already finished and working as a standard car multimedia device you can purchase in any shop.

Pricing will vary depending on features included: Street Navigator, 4x4 Navigator, Hands free (will require a NISU bluetooth hardware module) and will be published at NISU's website when ready to market.

Embedded: The embedded version will be running under Windows Embedded instead of standard Windows versions. This version is not available as standalone product and is only available with NISU Carpc's and infotainment products.

As NISU designs and manufacture it's own hardware, the drivers will perfectly match the hardware, resulting in a very robust and stable final product.

This version will also be used in OEM versions of NISU Carpc's & Infotainment products.
                      aimi Car Infotainment
                      &
                      Ride Runner
                      by
                      NISU Automotive
                      Hermosilla, 117 - Madrid -Spain
                      Tel: +34 91 402 9005

Comment

Working...
                      X