Auto Dimmer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Dimmer

How to auto adjust the brightness of the screen? Is there a hardware sensor to do this? if so, a plugin can be developed to make DIMMER auto control based on the value received from the sensor.

mitch has made a dimmer type app within RR its self, have a look at your documentation in the rr folder, it may not be exactly what your after but as an alternative
    Riderunner / Genesis
    Plugin Breaker in test BassRR Plugin Player, Wifiman_NET
    New Home for Genesis & BassRR :adding to site ,, Hellfyre night
    Bassrr Beta Release :Version 1.3.7
    Movie_info Release :Version 3.1.0
    Wifiman_NET:Version 1.0.0

Every Future, Needs A Beginning

Comment

Originally posted by carputer1 View Post
      mitch has made a dimmer type app within RR its self, have a look at your documentation in the rr folder, it may not be exactly what your after but as an alternative
      It is a good alternative. but I think a ambient light sensor will give more automatic control.

Comment

use a Fusion Brain with a photosensor and the RRFusion plugin

using the reading from the photosensor, you can automate the dimmer value.
        Planning: [|||||||||-] 90%
        Purchased: [|||||||||/] 99%
        Installation: [|||||||||-] 90% (when is anyone's project ever REALLY done...)

Comment

Originally posted by sxtnitehawk View Post
          use a Fusion Brain with a photosensor and the RRFusion plugin

using the reading from the photosensor, you can automate the dimmer value.
          This is what i do. Course i wrote RRFusion so i'm a bit bias lol
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

efun, BlueZX3's plugin RRExtended now has a command in it that I've needed to create a true autodimmer. as soon as I have the code down, I'll post it here for you... You'll have to play with some of the numbers, but itll get you started. You'll need a Fusion Brain with a photosensor, but trust me, YOU WANT IT...the Fusion Brain will open up totally new doors you never knew existed

Comment

Here's a 17 step autodimmer using the FB photosensor with RRFusion. if you have a definite port for the photosensor, you can change $IN1PORT$ to whatever port number the photosensor is on... so it reads for example... ANALOG0RAW

Code:
              "AUTODIM","BYVAR;AUTODIMMER;<<SETVARBYCODE;PSENSOR1;ANALOG$IN1PORT$RAW||DRANGE1"
              "DRANGE1","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;964;1024;DIMMER;0<<DRANGE2"
              "DRANGE2","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;904;963;DIMMER;10<<DRANGE3"
              "DRANGE3","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;844;903;DIMMER;15<<DRANGE4"
              "DRANGE4","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;784;843;DIMMER;20<<DRANGE5"
              "DRANGE5","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;724;783;DIMMER;25<<DRANGE6"
              "DRANGE6","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;664;723;DIMMER;30<<DRANGE7"
              "DRANGE7","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;604;663;DIMMER;35<<DRANGE8"
              "DRANGE8","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;544;603;DIMMER;40<<DRANGE9"
              "DRANGE9","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;484;543;DIMMER;45<<DRANGE10"
              "DRANGE10","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;424;483;DIMMER;50<<DRANGE11"
              "DRANGE11","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;364;423;DIMMER;55<<DRANGE12"
              "DRANGE12","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;304;363;DIMMER;60<<DRANGE13"
              "DRANGE13","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;244;303;DIMMER;65<<DRANGE14"
              "DRANGE14","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;184;243;DIMMER;70<<DRANGE15"
              "DRANGE15","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;104;183;DIMMER;75<<DRANGE16"
              "DRANGE16","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;44;103;DIMMER;80<<DRANGE17"
              "DRANGE17","BYRANGE;$PSENSOR1$;0;43;DIMMER;85<<"

Comment

I may be mistaken (apologies if so), but aren't all these solutions adjusting the brightness of the video output from the PC? I have been trying to dream up a way to auto-adjust the LCD screen backlight brightness so that I can dim it down at night. Otherwise, at night, even the black levels are too bright for my night driving eyes. Has anyone figured out how to interface the PC to control the LCD backlight?

What I ended up doing in the interim was adding a skin function to turn off the VGA output from the PC, which (after a few seconds) causes the monitor to auto power off. However, the touch screen is still active (powered from USB) so I can just touch the screen to wake up the PC.

Comment

That is a HW hack, not saying it can't be done...just that these SW approches are just easier, but def not better then what your asking bout.
                  RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                  Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                  Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                  RRMedia
                  RRExtended
                  DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

i agree, controlling the actual backlight would be better, but definitely a lot more complicated because not all screens work the same. especially when you get into LED backlit screens...now to create a better contrast ratio, they can force the led backlight to dim in different areas to make dark colors darker and light colors lighter...dont know if that's made it's way to the small VGA market yet, but i know it has on larger TV's...

For now, the internal DIMMER system is the best you're gonna get unless you custom hack your hardware, which could get mighty expensive with trial and error

Comment

Originally posted by sxtnitehawk View Post
                      Here's a 17 step autodimmer using the FB photosensor with RRFusion. if you have a definite port for the photosensor, you can change $IN1PORT$ to whatever port number the photosensor is on... so it reads for example... ANALOG0RAW

sxtnitehawk, thanks for your code. I will try this solution.

Comment

Hope touchscreen manufactory can produce a product which allow software to control the backlight. I think the techique should be ready for this. For example, I used the thinkpad. I can use hotkey "Fn+Home or End" to adjust the brightness.

Comment

I found a perfect solution. My car has a light sensor in the mirror, so I can set the dimmer based on the sensor value.

Comment

as long as that sensor puts out a 0-5v signal you can, yeah

Comment

i have my xenarc's brightness control wire hooked to my car's dimmer knob to automatically dim my backlight when the headlights come on. the wiring diagram is somewhere on this forum. the only issue with this approach is my car's dimmer knob goes from 0 volts at maximum brightness to 12 volts at the minimum brightness while the xenarc goes from 0 volts at max to 3.5 volts at min. when turn the knob too low, the xenarc backlight shuts off and i have to power cycle it to get the backlight back on. i'm sure there's a way to drop the output voltage of the dimmer knob but with resistors or something of the sort but i'm not quite sure how to do it.
                              my car: 2003 g35 coupe, 2.5ghz c2d cpu, gigabyte micro atx mb, dsatx
                              wife's car: 2004 honda accord coupe 2.4ghz p4 cpu, asus micro atx mb, opus 150
                              company car: 2006 chevy avalanche 2.0ghz p4 laptop, cnx p1900

Comment

Working...
                              X