Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of jumping from CF to RR, please HELP or Comment!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking of jumping from CF to RR, please HELP or Comment!

    Well Flux has been working on CF3 for some time and the support for CF2 has been almost non existent. I don't like that at all, so now I have started to lean towards RR. I am a super newb when it comes to this stuff, so I have alot of questions.

    Does RR have any support for dual monitor and sound support? My install will have 7 screens and has 3 sound cards. One screen is for the main driver screen, then all the others are for passengers. I basically wanted the rear seats to have their own controls and own sound card, but with the ability to choose between headphone mode or through the main speakers. Has anyone attempted such a thing through RR? Will it be hard for me to learn RR?

    Also any other info would be helpful on RR. Yes I have searched, but I am wondering if anyone has done anything along the lines what I am doing.

    I am running a AMD Turion X2 Processor with 4GB RAM. I have literally every device on it and am also installing 6 more Car PC units for each passenger, so if they don't want to do what everyone else is doing, they have the option to work on a separate system.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  • #2
    Multi-monitor support is fairly limited. However, with multiple sound cards, you can run multiple copies of RR (one for each sound card), then have it show on the monitor you want. Whether it goes through speakers or headphones would be a hardware setup thing. I can't say how multiple touchscreen devices will get along with each other on the same machine -- this will vary between the brand/device used.

    In any case, you absolutely DO NOT HAVE to remove CF2 from the machine in order to try/play with RR, and even if you like it, you can leave both in the same machine.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

    "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

    Comment


    • #3
      An important thing to note when switching to RR is you will HAVE to update your install at least every 4 months. This can be good if your always looking to add new stuff(like you ALWAYS do ), but it can be a detriment when you have everything working then a feature is changed and it breaks your install lol.
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
        An important thing to note when switching to RR is you will HAVE to update your install at least every 4 months. This can be good if your always looking to add new stuff(like you ALWAYS do ), but it can be a detriment when you have everything working then a feature is changed and it breaks your install lol.
        Is it possible to keep the certain version and not upragde? I am afraid that the new version will broke my plugin/skin.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by efun View Post
          Is it possible to keep the certain version and not upragde? I am afraid that the new version will broke my plugin/skin.
          Only versions still called Road Runner will not display a reminder screen. All Ride Runner versions will display a reminder screen after 4 months -- you'll be allowed to keep using it indefinitely if that doesn't bother you (The current versions display a reminder for 15 seconds which you have to wait before you're able to do anything in the software, however the next release will displays reminder overlay over the skin for 15 seconds which does not block/delay or make you wait before doing anything, so you can use it normally without the hassle). Please note that if you keep it updated (at least once every few months) you'll NEVER see a reminder screen.
          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

          "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
          "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
            An important thing to note when switching to RR is you will HAVE to update your install at least every 4 months. This can be good if your always looking to add new stuff(like you ALWAYS do ), but it can be a detriment when you have everything working then a feature is changed and it breaks your install lol.
            LOL, I see you know me like a book! Well I know for the separate units, RR can be pretty basic. It will do nothing but use the internet, video, and music. Maybe some messengers and thats it. I have seen RR in action (Kimota's install) and I love the transitions and what not. I am not sure what skin he uses again.

            The challenge is my main system. CF actually does have multi screen support and started to work on multi sound before they just decided to vanish. It worked so so, basically the sound goes to a second sound card, then if you want to play through main speakers, you hit a button called push, and it will push the audio to the speakers. Basically it will route sound from sound card 2 to sound card 1.

            How has the phone solution with BlueSoliel gone? Currently CF users killed the echo issue with a Pheonix SOHO card mod. The issue now is the delay issue. Have you guys managed to get rid of these problems? IVT kept trying to kill the delay, but after wake up from hibernation the delay is back again. I think it was just an issue with CF using a modified BT stack.
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

            1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
              LOL, I see you know me like a book! Well I know for the separate units, RR can be pretty basic. It will do nothing but use the internet, video, and music. Maybe some messengers and thats it. I have seen RR in action (Kimota's install) and I love the transitions and what not. I am not sure what skin he uses again.

              The challenge is my main system. CF actually does have multi screen support and started to work on multi sound before they just decided to vanish. It worked so so, basically the sound goes to a second sound card, then if you want to play through main speakers, you hit a button called push, and it will push the audio to the speakers. Basically it will route sound from sound card 2 to sound card 1.

              How has the phone solution with BlueSoliel gone? Currently CF users killed the echo issue with a Pheonix SOHO card mod. The issue now is the delay issue. Have you guys managed to get rid of these problems? IVT kept trying to kill the delay, but after wake up from hibernation the delay is back again. I think it was just an issue with CF using a modified BT stack.
              as guino has stated multiscreen support is there, but its not a full out feature like in CF. You can create a skin double the resolution and instruct your secondary screens to use that half of the screen.. but thats pretty much it. It doesnt support any dual zone audio. But workarounds can be done with winamp instances (one using primary sound card, and 1 using secondary).


              The phone solution is still in its early stages.. but i dont have any echo problems using the andrea array mic from mp3car.
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                as guino has stated multiscreen support is there, but its not a full out feature like in CF. You can create a skin double the resolution and instruct your secondary screens to use that half of the screen.. but thats pretty much it. It doesnt support any dual zone audio. But workarounds can be done with winamp instances (one using primary sound card, and 1 using secondary).


                The phone solution is still in its early stages.. but i dont have any echo problems using the andrea array mic from mp3car.
                Yes I understand that now. So basically I would run 2 instances on 1 machine. Now the only thing really missing is the ability to switch audio from headphone to main speaker, or even easier, the headphone soundcard can always be on, just it has the option to also play onto the other soundcard. Is it possible to make a plugin that can do that? Similar to what CF does?
                Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                1x Win 7 PC

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                  Yes I understand that now. So basically I would [HL]run 2 instances on 1 machine.[/HL] Now the only thing really missing is the ability to switch audio from headphone to main speaker, or even easier, the headphone soundcard can always be on, just it has the option to also play onto the other soundcard. Is it possible to make a plugin that can do that? Similar to what CF does?
                  Talked about a lot but NOBODY has succeeded.
                  ****************************************
                  OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                  Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                  Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                  BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                  M2-ATX Power Supply
                  RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                  Windows XP SP3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                    Talked about a lot but NOBODY has succeeded.
                    Maybe someone should go a different route. Rather then run 2 instances, make the rear controls a plug in type system that matches the front. CF uses that method. Is it an issue with Win Amp?
                    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                    1x Win 7 PC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                      Talked about a lot but NOBODY has succeeded.
                      That's not true, I have personally tested it. But it only works well if you have 2 sound cards and use winamp, one for each card. How well your touchscreens will get along with each other depends largely by the touchscreen drivers.
                      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

                      "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                      "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by guino View Post
                        That's not true, I have personally tested it. But it only works well if you have 2 sound cards and use winamp, one for each card. How well your touchscreens will get along with each other depends largely by the touchscreen drivers.
                        The touchscreen issue is no problem. I use the drivers from Touchkit.com and have sucessfully used 4 screens on my setup already. Basically touchscreen 1 would be set to use display 1, then all the other touchscreens will be set to point to display 2, its very easy to do. The touchscreens will be run though a KVM, so when I move from PC to PC, it will also work. I just need to get the software side all set up..... OH the skin I am talking about is LSX VOID 3 that skin is cool. Even if I dont figure out how to get RR to my liking, I at least want to make a similar skin for CF.
                        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                        1x Win 7 PC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If OP don't do his homework and attempt to do it, i will follow along and wish him luck and hope he don't pull ALL his hair out

                          The closest anybody came to making it work (functional in real life, not a test bed) they had to run 2 independent installations of then RoadRunner and in the end he gave up.
                          ****************************************
                          OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                          Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                          Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                          BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                          M2-ATX Power Supply
                          RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                          Windows XP SP3

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                            If OP don't do his homework and attempt to do it, i will follow along and wish him luck and hope he don't pull ALL his hair out

                            The closest anybody came to making it work (functional in real life, not a test bed) they had to run 2 independent installations of then RoadRunner and in the end he gave up.
                            You'll need two copies of RR, and two copies of the skin -- one for each position on the screen -- they are completely independent of each other and operate separately. If you wanted to switch from speakers to headphone (or the other way around), I would suggest a hardware switch (something like Mitch's switch but the other way around). It's hard to come up with soultions without knowing your specific setup.
                            Ride Runner RR's Myspace

                            "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                            "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by guino View Post
                              You'll need two copies of RR, and two copies of the skin -- one for each position on the screen -- they are completely independent of each other and operate separately. If you wanted to switch from speakers to headphone (or the other way around), I would suggest a hardware switch (something like Mitch's switch but the other way around). It's hard to come up with soultions without knowing your specific setup.
                              Since it only applies to the main system, I wont include the sub systems. I am still missing 4 screens but the other 3 are there.

                              MoBo: Kino-690S1 with a AMD X2 64bit Turion TL-58 1.9GHZ

                              RAM: 4GB Ram (3.75GB for system, .25GB for graphics)

                              USB Devices: TPMS, C-Media 7.1 Virtual surround card (for head phones for rear displays), 7 EBY701 all connected through a 7 port hub, Windows Media Remote with built in mouse for rear screens and use with slingbox, Keypad for custom controls for armrest, PPC port, Mitch's USB Line Selector, BU-353 GPS, Mo-Co-So BT, Zonet Wi-Fi, Sprint AirCard, Wireless Keyboard.

                              Serial: HD Radio, XM Radio, OBD2, Amp_Ctrl

                              Thats about all I can think of. The Onboard soundcard (number 3) is strictly for the phone. The main card on the speakers is a X-Fi Xtremegamer, setup in 7.1 surround sound mode. The PSU for the PC is a OPUS 320, a second PSU with 15W for the echo cancel card and one of the two 7 port hubs.

                              Anything else you need to know?
                              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                              1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                              1x Win 7 PC

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X