Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 stop Ride Runner Documentation,,,, Your thoughts

I have started to take this upon myself to do, as it has been mentioned a
    number of times, and as the forum is getting bigger and bigger on repeated Q???,

i'm still in planning stage as i have only just decided to do this, i want to make a full help setting up RR (in newbie terms(hate that word really))
    in all aspects, basically if its in RRconfig it will be in the doc's.
    also anything that helps you run RR eg addon's etc.
    i will also add a section on basic skinning and modding,as i have now done a few skins now,not saying i'm any good at them, but its a great learning curve.

what i feel should be in the documentation (please feel free to mention anything else)

RR set up
    Skin cmds old and new
    History
    Horm
    Faqs from forum.
    Basic in skinning and modding.
    Trouble shooter (Q? & Ans)
    Links page , to all the addons and main software to run RR

these are just a few ideas and really are just whats around already but haveing them in 1 file , will stop (hopefully) all the repeated Q's??

i have already opened the software and have started the menu setup and some text and images, but i would like inout from you the user, New and old.
    to help me make this really a 1 stop help file on RR.

so what do you think

also this all depends on you and the agreement of the team
    Riderunner / Genesis
    Plugin Breaker in test BassRR Plugin Player, Wifiman_NET
    New Home for Genesis & BassRR :adding to site ,, Hellfyre night
    Bassrr Beta Release :Version 1.3.7
    Movie_info Release :Version 3.1.0
    Wifiman_NET:Version 1.0.0

Every Future, Needs A Beginning

Its one of the last few major things that RR sorta lacks. Mitch has tried to do a lot on the doc side, like adding all the extra separate text files in the doc folder in hopes that it makes it easier to find whats new, how to use it along with the old stuff.

This does sound like it would help to further RR's usage to anyone new to it and maybe even the old ones around as with so much stuff, its easy to forget things sometimes..
    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
    Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
    RRMedia
    RRExtended
    DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Originally posted by carputer1 View Post
      I have started to take this upon myself to do, as it has been mentioned a
      number of times, and as the forum is getting bigger and bigger on repeated Q???,

i'm still in planning stage as i have only just decided to do this, i want to make a full help setting up RR (in newbie terms(hate that word really))
      in all aspects, basically if its in RRconfig it will be in the doc's.
      also anything that helps you run RR eg addon's etc.
      i will also add a section on basic skinning and modding,as i have now done a few skins now,not saying i'm any good at them, but its a great learning curve.

what i feel should be in the documentation (please feel free to mention anything else)

RR set up
      Skin cmds old and new
      History
      Horm
      Faqs from forum.
      Basic in skinning and modding.
      Trouble shooter (Q? & Ans)
      Links page , to all the addons and main software to run RR

these are just a few ideas and really are just whats around already but haveing them in 1 file , will stop (hopefully) all the repeated Q's??

i have already opened the software and have started the menu setup and some text and images, but i would like inout from you the user, New and old.
      to help me make this really a 1 stop help file on RR.

so what do you think

also this all depends on you and the agreement of the team

I have been considering this as well for a few months, and am willing to help in any way that I can. I think if we can help bridge the gap for the new users a little in a centralized fashion, we might be able to cut down on repeat forum posts, and what I call the dreadful scatter gun search results. I am all for working on this!
      ATTENTION FELLOW CAR PC ENTHUSIASTS, POWER ACOUSTIC = CAR PC KRYPTONITE!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

To my adoring fans, No my Toyota's gas pedal didn't get stuck! Instead I saw you crossing the street and decided to floor it! Unfortunately, I MISSED!!!

Comment

he did yes but incomplete (no disrespect) and this 1 will go a bit further, and bring it more inline to today's RR,

i have also just pm'ed him , as i don't want to tread on toes so to speak, he did a great job, i just want to continue it and make it more effective, in other ways
        Riderunner / Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by carputer1 View Post
          i just want to continue it and make it more effective, in other ways
          That was my point, better to continue the work already started, rather than re-invent the wheel

Don't forget there is the Wiki, right here on the forum.

Anyone can update that.

Comment

well i have manged to port his help file into a new build, so i don't need him for any files.
            but an agreement to continue would be good thou, i know he is still about now and then.
            i suppose if i don't hear anything from him i will continue it, but MUST inc him as the creator of this file .

i can fill in the blanks , and i have suggestion from a hand full of user what else they would like to be in there.
            Riderunner / Genesis

Comment

+1 for good idea and much needed too
              New Car PC Build list in progress

Comment

Sounds great! Have a look at the help documentation that comes with DigitalFX. I cover a LOT of stuff in there, that is related to RR and not only the skin.

Also look at the FAQ in the DFX thread (2nd post) as a lot is covered there as well.

I have the program here to create the help files if you need any help as well.
                Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Wiki. Wiki. Wiki.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

ok got the Go! from Kpjuk, a couple of days ago, have been slowly reading and changing ever since, theres alot to go through, this is not something thats going to be done over night still. theres alot of info out there , but it will come.

@John , thanks mate i was looking at those, and i was going to ask LOL.... as for the program i'm useing Winchm pro, of which i managed to port Kpjuks help file into and edit.

well enough chat back to work...
                    Riderunner / Genesis

Comment

not sure if you guys think this is a good idea or not hence the Q?? here

as the skin forum is very full of outter date and unsupported skins, i was thinking of adding Thunders skins list to the file, but not only that, skin reviews.

now the reviews can be done by a user of the skin or even the skin aurthor, but my feeling is to get a true review of the skin, aurthors will always praise thier own skins (not a bad thing) but for a newbie, who has inchy feet will dive straight in, not knowning what he/she is in for. i'm not after a 100 line SA , just a short review someing up your thoughts of the skin in Q??

if any1 wants to do a review they can pm it to me and i will add it , no names will be used, so allows the freedom of the review.
                      Riderunner / Genesis

Comment

Personally, I would stay FAR away from addng any sort of skin information. There are so many skins, and if you mention one, you would have to mention ALL of them to be politically correct.

I would simply stick to the RR basics, and up to how to install / point to, a new skin and leave it at that.

If you want to, you could always include a link to the most used skins.... but even in doing that, you could be ignoring other skins that deserve mention.

I personally feel that the documentation should be covering Only RR and getting the basics set up and working.
                        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

noted, for the most it will be about setting up and etc of RR, with a few basic sections for other things, i was going to point to the skin list , but as you say there are other skins not listed, so i will point to the skin thread only .
                          Riderunner / Genesis

Comment

From a newbies perspective, this would be a great help. Just installed RR last night, have previously spent countless hours reading threads, .txt help files in skins, searching and reading tons of material, even with search, just to find basic answers. Everything is all over the place, and a lot of links don't work, etc... Very frustrating for some of the more experienced users I see on the board, imagine how a newbie feels. From all the front ends I have researched, I think RR has a lot of potential to make a big jump with the efforts going on to try and standardize things, and keep the core untouched, splitting out features to plugins, etc...
                            The user participation and customizations really drew me to RR, but trying to find all the right info and learn everything is really overwhelming. I see a lot posts and ideas that die out, because it is time consuming and life gets in the way. I would be the first to get in line and Paypal someone a couple hundred bucks to provide me a skin that works with a lot of the features/ideas I've seen here, but I'd probably miss out on the experience of doing a lot of it, or most of it, or at least some of it myself... kind of like working on my car, a real love/hate relationship.

Comment

Working...
                            X