HD Radio Line Level too high?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Radio Line Level too high?

I posted this over in the General Hardware forum too, but I thought this might be a good forum to try.

I'm using Mitch's HD Radio cable, connected to a Visteon HDZoom, and I'm seeing a huge amount of distortion when I switch to the HD radio line. The volume on the Line is loud, even with the Line volume slider down at "1" (out of 100), so I'm wondering if it's possible that the ouput of the radio is just too high.

This is on Vista, using a Via NX15000G mobo, which has a VT1708A audio chip. I'm using SatAmp as my test app. (RideRunner has it's own issues, which we don't need to get into here). I know the issue is not the line itself, since I can connect up a portable CD player to the same line, using the same cables, and the sound is clear.

I know that Mitch's control dll can set the output volume of the head unit, but none of the apps I've seen, including HDPCR, utilize this function. Is there a registry setting/config file I can create that would do this? I'm not really sure what to do now, Any suggestions?
    EPIA NX15000G, OCZ 128GB 2.5" SSD, 1Gb RAM, 7" anti-reflective, transflective touchscreen, M1-ATX, HD-Radio, Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, USB DVD+-RW.

try adjusting your line in level on your pc...
    CarPc
    Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

See Original Post. Line input volume on the PC in the Vista Sound Mixer is set at 1%. It seems like the line input is being overdriven. Also, there is no "Mic Boost" on the Line in, though it is on some other inputs, and I turned it off on those just in case.

I'm not sure if this could be related to the floating ground issue with the RCA jacks on the HDZoom. I tried the grounding mod before, when I had a separate issue with sound quality due what turned out to be a bad header connection on the Mobo. But the mod seemed to create a ground loop, so I pulled it off. Anyone know if this could be related?
      EPIA NX15000G, OCZ 128GB 2.5" SSD, 1Gb RAM, 7" anti-reflective, transflective touchscreen, M1-ATX, HD-Radio, Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, USB DVD+-RW.

Comment

Have you tried measuring the voltage on it?

Does the volume slider have any effect on the volume at all?
        My Nearly Complete Car:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
        http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
        http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

No, I haven't measured the voltage - I'll try to do that, though I only have a multimeter, so useful info might be hard to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by miatacarpc View Post
            Though I only have a multimeter, so useful info might be hard to come by.
            Whys that?
            Set the multimeter to measure volts, and measure the volts on the output of the HD radio. More volts = more volume.
            My Nearly Complete Car:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
            http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
            http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

you can adjust the output from the radio in rr.ini . I cant remember the setting name but a quick search should find the result.

ahhh.. here it is.. per mitch:

as for volume... 1st lower your input gain on the line in via mixer control

i would avoide at all costs lowering the volume of the hdradio, but it can be done

its in the documentation that no one reads!!! (settings.txt)

hdvolume=0-90
              Sets default HD radio volume. Default is 75, range is from 0 to 90.

in RR.ini
              I believe mine is set at 65 and my line-in volume is at 40%
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

thx, I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back. I tried searching, but didn't manage to find it. odd.

Comment

it was buried deep in the 100 page HD-Radio thread. i cant blame ya
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

but i think its wide open in settings.txt in the RR documents folder

hdvolume=0-90

mitch
                    -Thanks
                    Mitch
                    www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
                    May healing waters bury all my pain
                    Wind, Carry me home
                    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
                    The piece of me that died
                    Will return To live again

Comment

Originally posted by mitchjs View Post
                      but i think its wide open in settings.txt in the RR documents folder

hdvolume=0-90

mitch
                      Can you change that value while RR is running or does it need to be set before RR is started?
                      Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Comment

before.... since its ONLY set when the radio is initially powered on...

try to avoid changing it, its better to adjust you line in, only lower if u need to
                        -Thanks
                        Mitch
                        www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                        Wind, Carry me home

Comment

does the winamp line-in plug-in ignore line-in levels of the pc by resetting them?

Comment

I tried setting this in rr.ini, but it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. I tried hdvolume=5 and hdvolume=75 and the sound level was exactly the same.

What section of rr.ini does it need to be in? I tried [HDRadio], [Radio] and [Extras].

Comment

Originally posted by roflcopter View Post
                              does the winamp line-in plug-in ignore line-in levels of the pc by resetting them?
                              dont, know, u will have to experiment on that
                              -Thanks
                              Mitch
                              www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                              Wind, Carry me home

Comment