Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 or XP?

Hi,

I'm about to reinstall m stuff and I'm wondering if it's worth getting Windows 7 over XP? I'm about to get a new OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB and as far as I've heard Windows 7 is getting more out of the performance of the SSD's. I'm using RoadRunner / MapMonkey and I do hibernation.

Or will XP still be fine enough? I want performance in starting up and other overall performance. (I'm using a Sempron Mobile 3000+ system).

XP for known reliability.
    Windows 7 isn't as battle-tested.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I am currently using winxp for my carpc. I have used win7 and was very impressed with it. I never used it for a carpc so I've never tried tweaking win7. All I can say is that winxp can be easily tweaked for pretty fast boots and there have been a couple of threads with people having trouble with certain hardware/software in win7.

Comment

Originally posted by csfile View Post
        I am currently using winxp for my carpc. I have used win7 and was very impressed with it. I never used it for a carpc so I've never tried tweaking win7. All I can say is that winxp can be easily tweaked for pretty fast boots and there have been a couple of threads with people having trouble with certain hardware/software in win7.
        i have been using win7, sometimes i get fed up with its software, a liitle bit troublesome...

Comment

I've been running Win7 on my home desktop now since the RC came out. It's flawless for me. I'm cautions about CarPC use though, Win7 is much slower than XP for cold boots. The hybrid sleep mode tempts me to give it a go though.

Comment

win7 with uac disabled = perfect, or just remember to run as admin

XP is almost 10 years OLD now... ok, with SP3 its not so old... but still OLD OLD OLD
            -Thanks
            Mitch
            www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
            May healing waters bury all my pain
            Wind, Carry me home
            The fabric of reality is tearing apart
            The piece of me that died
            Will return To live again

Comment

Windows 7 has some nice features, but as DP said, XP is reliable. Win7 isnt tested, and has been known to have driver issues. Especially with the hybrid sleep feature I'm sure it will quickly take the stage as the main OS for carpc's, but until such a time when it has been tested and roughed out on enough different types of hardware, XP is the wise choice.

Don't know about you, but I'd much rather be secure in the knowledge that if something goes wrong it's usually the hardware, not the OS. Trying to troubleshoot a problem from two different sides at once is not very fun.
              "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

I tried Win7 and ended up going back to XP. Too many incompatibilities and driver issues, XP has been more stable for me. 7 has good device support, and most likely it will work, but there are some unforseen little issues that need to be worked out, such as USB devices causing hibernation to screw up. To get around the same speed as XP, you have to use the Tiny version of 7. Hybrid sleep is the only significant feature that may be applicable to a carpc environment. Hibernation times between 7 and XP are roughly the same. One other thing to consider is that in XP you can make the taskbar, menus, startmenu, icon, font etc bigger to make it easier to use on a touchscreen. Havent figured out a way to do that in 7.

Comment

windows 7 is really nice OS for carpc. Mostly because the UI has been polished to make user friendly, lots of little nice features like a nice OSK. Though there has been hit or miss on hardware drivers. I've gotten it to work really nicely on some machine, but glitchy on other machines. I say its definitely worth a shot!

Comment

Agree on the reliability.
                    Think on what you are planning: gps, tire pressure sensors, rear view cameras, you name it.
                    Are all of those tested and with drivers for W7? If you are not 100% sure, stick to XP, it will save you a few headaches.
                    REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
                    CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
                    LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

Additional mods:
                    KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
                    Worklog Album

Comment

if you have a VT enabled processor there shouldnt be any worries at all, since win7 pro can emulate xp for various apps virtually perfectly. you dont even need the vt processor but it makes things even more seamless.

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                        if you have a VT enabled processor there shouldnt be any worries at all, since win7 pro can emulate xp for various apps virtually perfectly. you dont even need the vt processor but it makes things even more seamless.
                        Drivers are still an issue though.
                        My Nearly Complete Car:
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                        http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                        http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

XP, why even consider W7 when you know what works, works well.
                          W7 has a lot of cool new features, but truly arent needed for a carpc. The only feature I could see as usefull is it has individual volume controls for each software running. That is cool.
                          New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                          New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                          "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Agree with PaulF on drivers.

If you are on your first project, stick to the KISS approach, you already have a lot to do to make your project look nice, do yourself a favor and donīt complicate it more.
                            Win7 will be ok for a project in about a year, when Win7 SP1 is deployed and the good the bad and the ugly is well known.
                            REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
                            CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
                            LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

Additional mods:
                            KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
                            Worklog Album

Comment

well if it helps any, i just put win7 on my carpc and the only problem i have is the gps driver not working all the time. since its a common usb controller though im sure that will get fixed soon. it's not like win7 is a brand new os... it has been under mainstream testing for many years under the name 'vista'.

Comment

Working...
                              X