iPhone 3GS integration w/ RR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 3GS integration w/ RR

I've been looking at a way to integrate the iPhone with RR so I can listen to Podcasts on my CarPC. It would be nice to be able to tether a control the phone via RR, but I'm mainly concerned about streaming audio. I've tried to link the iPhone via a IOGEAR blue tooth dongle but could not get it to work at all.

Any ideas on what direction I might go with this or is it even possible?

Though not elegant or worth a "wow factor", the simplest way would be to use the headphone jack on the phone and either run it into the line in on the PC, or use an FM modulator to transmit it to the radio (if you have one on the CarPC) or to your head unit. Just set the Vol on the iPhone to kinda low, and you can control it with the RR volume. If the vol on the iPhone is set to max, it will distort.

This is how I use the my iPhone in the car presently, but working on a custom center console with a dock built in so I can use the line out from the dock.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

iphone integration

I think I have it working pretty well, happy to help...was close to posting what I have (for DFX4.0 skin, similar to other skins I imagine)

Basically:
      1. get the iphone 3G dock, it breaks out audio to line level
      2. line out to audio in (so RR can control the volume)
      3. jailbreak iphone
      4. install veency (remote control) on iphone
      5. get itunnel (to connect to iphone over usb/dock) on pc, launch at rr startup
      6. get ultravnc (to connect to veency on iphone) on pc, save connection settings
      7. embed ultravnc in new page on skin
      8. make new home button on skin
      9. get 'autohotkey', map the home button to right-mouse button
      10. make new menu button for iphone
      11. use iphone via touchscreen, only thing missing is multitouch and video (too fast to vnc)
      12. grin like an idiot, because it might be easier to just use the iphone, but it's cool

How many apps is that on your carpc...65000+ ??
      If you use a password with veency you won't have to touch the iphone, just dock and go...

Comment

Originally posted by flat6 View Post
        I think I have it working pretty well, happy to help...was close to posting what I have (for DFX4.0 skin, similar to other skins I imagine)

Basically:
        1. get the iphone 3G dock, it breaks out audio to line level
        2. line out to audio in (so RR can control the volume)
        3. jailbreak iphone
        4. install veency (remote control)
        5. get itunnel (to connect to iphone over usb/dock)
        5. get ultravnc (to connect to veency on iphone)
        6. embed ultravnc in new page on skin
        7. make new home button on skin
        8. get 'autohotkey', map the home button to right-mouse button
        7. use iphone via touchscreen, only thing missing is multitouch

How many apps is that on your carpc...65000+ ??
        Hmm interesting solution. I may have to give it a try if all else fails..

I just didn't know if the 3GS could A2DP to a computer with a BT dongle. Only options I can get are for tethering and contact sync.. But, when it looks for services on the iPhone, it doesnt show anything about A2DP or any sound at all..

I'd even be willing to do it wired via USB.. Just thought it would be nice to bring my iPhone, hit play on a Podcast, and have it play though my CarPC speakers without hassle.

Comment

Agree with John btw for the easiest solution...just leave the 1/8" headphone cable out, plug in and go...no messing with BT, etc. - the iphone will never skip a beat...

Comment

Originally posted by flat6 View Post
            Agree with John btw for the easiest solution...just leave the 1/8" headphone cable out, plug in and go...no messing with BT, etc. - the iphone will never skip a beat...
            Well right now my XM is using the line in and my head unit only has one input on the back. If it had one front and back it would make things easier. I had also considered getting a head unit that had BT capabilities to link to that instead of the carpc. FM modulator would be great but th screen on my HU died so I can't see where to tune things in. It's basically just running as an amp.

Comment

You can buy MitchJS' audio switcher to solve your sound input problems.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

OOooooh! Thats a nice pen! Do you have a link?
                Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Well, I got the 3GS linked, finally, via bluetooth. It was an issue with the dongle I bought and the software it ran (widcomm). I ended up buying a Zoom adapter with Bluesoleil and it works great now!

Finally, I can listen to my podcasts in my car!

Comment

maybe is your carPC' Problem

Comment

Originally posted by bobbykokinos View Post
                      Well, I got the 3GS linked, finally, via bluetooth. It was an issue with the dongle I bought and the software it ran (widcomm). I ended up buying a Zoom adapter with Bluesoleil and it works great now!

Finally, I can listen to my podcasts in my car!
                      What software are you using for this? i'm assuming you are connecting the iPhone using the A2DP profile?

Comment

Working...
                      X