Fennec 1.0 Beta 3 Released!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fennec 1.0 Beta 3 Released!

I know it doesn't necessary regard rr but as far as i know this is the only front end that officialy support this browser so i figured it would be best to post here

So mozilla guys updated their fennec mainly for mameo ( beta 3 ) and windows-mobile ( alpha 3 )
    but there is also a version for windows

Here are the release notes :
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fenn.../releasenotes/
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fenn.../releasenotes/

Direct Download Link :
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...n-US.win32.zip

from my 2-minutes home pc experience it looks and works pretty good
    next will be to test it in the car when ill have a little bit of time

enjoy and post your experience if you have any!
    HeadUnit : Car-Pc | Processor : JBL MS-8 | Front Stage : Woofer - Mpyre 65M , Mid - Dayton RS100-4 , Tweeter - Tang-Band Ceramic 25-1719S | Subwoofer : Hertz HX250D | Amps : A/D/S PQ10 , Hifonics Olympus XI , SPL AB03445 | Wiring : Sommer , Neutrik

This looks promising, and DL'd it (Windows Desktop version of course) and gave it a try. When Fennec.exe is run it complains that the msvcr80.dll is not found. Googling says its part of the C++ Runtime package, so I downloaded that from MS's site and installed. It still complains it is not found. So I founda copy of the DLL on google, put it in Fenec's folder, and it now reports that "An application tried to load the C runtime library incorrectly".

If you press OK in either case, Fenec loads no problem. It's just not gonna be that great if you have to press OK for an error message each time it is ran
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Is a beta...
      RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
      Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
      Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
      RRMedia
      RRExtended
      DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Fennec CarPC touchscreen friendly browser

Ok, "Beta" or not.... It didn't take long playing around with it at all to see that this is definitely going to be the best in car solution to a web browser! It is, as mentioned, designed to be Sooooo touchscreen friendly! You can tell by looking at the screen captures below.

There are no tiny scroll bars, just drag the screen in any way you want to scroll around. If you scroll all the way past the "edge" of the web page, either left or right, side bars appear with the controls for your bookmarks, settings ect.

Oh, also there is no installer Just copy the files to where you want, and run it. This means I am most certainly going to include this in the next DFX release

Here is a capture of the standard browser with YouTube opened up:
        (It's a nice little touch seeing the name of the site, and not the "http://Youtube.com" in the address bar when a page is opened.)

Here is the Bookmark screen (Just tap the top corner right to bring them up)

And lastly the config screen (Drag the screen left to show the right side bar to get to them)

Now just to figure out what is causing the error that you have to hit OK to load the app............
        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

sounds promising. maybe i'll give it a shot tonight...

edit: looks awesome john. now i definitely have to try it.

Comment

i've been useing fennec since sonic's mentioned it , i agree looks to be going in the right direction for us
            Riderunner / Genesis
            Plugin Breaker in test BassRR Plugin Player, Wifiman_NET
            New Home for Genesis & BassRR :adding to site ,, Hellfyre night
            Bassrr Beta Release :Version 1.3.7
            Movie_info Release :Version 3.1.0
            Wifiman_NET:Version 1.0.0

Every Future, Needs A Beginning

Comment

as soon as they add hotkey support its game over
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I have also been trying to figure out how to skin it. Reshacker is not able to show any images in the exe.

I checked out the site, and there are themes for it, and downloaded the .zip. but not sure how to apply one. The images in the themes match that of the way they are when it is ran, however there is no theme folder or any images other than a splash.bmp when you download the windows version.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

i bet its built with a debug manifest for the runtime...
                  im sure when it gets closer to offical release.someone will build it right
                  -Thanks
                  Mitch
                  www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
                  May healing waters bury all my pain
                  Wind, Carry me home
                  The fabric of reality is tearing apart
                  The piece of me that died
                  Will return To live again

Comment

I'm somewhat surprised that the mozilla dev team PPA aren't doing daily builds of fennec for Ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill...y/+archive/ppa

I would have this in LinuxICE if they did...

BTW, this thread has nothing to do with road runner.
                    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                      BTW, this thread has nothing to do with road runner.
                      Sure it does! RR has Mozilla built in support for embedding Firefox. This is an alternative to Firefox, and works well as a replacement for a browser in RR, as you can see the above Ride Runner screen captures. Embedding an app, and using it in Ride Runner, seems to be spot on with the Ride Runner forums actually. That would be like saying iGuidance, Phoco, iGo ect should not be posted about in the RR forums.

I would argue that mentioning Linux support is limited, as far as using LinuxICE, (Another front end entirely) has far less to to with RR, all things considered

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                        Sure it does! RR has Mozilla built in support for embedding Firefox. This is an alternative to Firefox, and works well as a replacement for a browser in RR, as you can see the above Ride Runner screen captures. Embedding an app, and using it in Ride Runner, seems to be spot on with the Ride Runner forums actually. That would be like saying iGuidance, Phoco, iGo ect should not be posted about in the RR forums.

I would argue that mentioning Linux support is limited, as far as using LinuxICE, (Another front end entirely) has far less to to with RR, all things considered
                        AFIAK, RR has support for embedding *any* app, not just Firefox. Futhermore, the original poster even mentioned:
                        I know it doesn't necessary regard rr...
                        I'm not saying fennec shouldn't be posted here. Specific Fennec integration into RR should be discussed here. However, Fennec can potentially be used with *any* frontend, and that's why I would suggest possibly making threads like this outside of the RR sub-forum where it would be more widely seen and thus more useful to everybody. Just a thought.

As for mentioning LinuxICE, yes it has nothing to do with RR, you are correct. However, I feel that as one that has been outside the matrix, it is my obligation to also attempt to free your minds as well. (Joke only)

Mozilla has traditionally had excellent support for Linux. They publish nightly install packages of their latest alpha and beta builds. Support for Linux often exceeds that of windows. So when a comment was made that fennec support was bad for windows, I felt it appropriate to say support for fennec builds in general are bad (unless you happen to be running a Linux based nokia n900).

Moreover, Firefox is considered by many to be a "starter drug" along with other apps like OpenOffice to introduce people to OpenSource concepts and eventually, to Linux .
                        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

As good as this looks, the dev team appear to be aiming this at windows mobile.

This caught my eye = "While the desktop versions of Fennec are not supported products, they are a great way to familiarize yourself with the Fennec UI, provide feedback, build add-ons, or even localize it to your native language"

I hope they don't plan to forget this version when they release a final.
                          P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                            I'm not saying fennec shouldn't be posted here. Specific Fennec integration into RR should be discussed here. However, Fennec can potentially be used with *any* frontend, and that's why I would suggest possibly making threads like this outside of the RR sub-forum where it would be more widely seen and thus more useful to everybody. Just a thought.
                            Well said, and that makes perfect sense for sure. I certainly meant no disrespect or anything, just a little OS banter is fun to join in on now and then

For me, if there was a RR Linux port, that would then be a perfect world! Linux is free, stable and fast..... many things that windows is not

Oh, and yes... I have FireFox as well as Open Office installed here in my systems..... as well as Gimp

I also hope that it contines to be supported on the Windows desktop environment. Actually it works quite well in it's present state, other than the error message that you have to click ok to when you start it. I would tend to agree with Mitch, that is is something in the beta for error trapping and such. As soon as that is "turned off" I think the Win version is perfect in its present state.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Fennec for windows is awesome. This should really come pre installed in streetdeck and other front ends. It's clearly just what you need on a carPC. I just need adobe flash to start working!

Comment

Working...
                              X