Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RR Slow Screen Changes...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RR Slow Screen Changes...

    RR is not known for super fast screen changes. This I know. But it seems to be getting slower. It is very noticeable on my carpc. There is a 1 second or more lag between button press and command processing. I don't have a lot of plugins running and Really don't do much else with it besides listen to music.

    My specs are...
    Compaq Laptop N610C
    New Age Skin
    P4 1.8 ghz
    500 mb ram
    40 gb HD
    Windows XP

    Any ideas would be helpful.
    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

  • #2
    Try making your screen jpgs smaller or preload the screens you use more often

    Comment


    • #3
      This is virtually inevitable as more features are added to the skin support. A lot has been improved from the start, but a lot of skin objects/features have also been added. Preloading screens is a good idea, smaller image files may also help. RR still way faster than Mediacar which uses the same type of skinning. I have thought of making some sort of background caching of images, but there's no telling how well that would work.
      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

      "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
      "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

      Comment


      • #4
        are you using transitions? turn em off they only delay screen loads. RR is no slower than any of its competitors honestly... well unless you're comparing it to RevFE.. then its dog slow lol
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

        Comment


        • #5
          Its written in vb and uses text commands...how fast do you think its gonna be
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
            RR is not known for super fast screen changes. This I know. But it seems to be getting slower. It is very noticeable on my carpc. There is a 1 second or more lag between button press and command processing. I don't have a lot of plugins running and Really don't do much else with it besides listen to music.

            My specs are...
            Compaq Laptop N610C
            New Age Skin
            P4 1.8 ghz
            500 mb ram
            40 gb HD
            Windows XP

            Any ideas would be helpful.
            Yo Thunder. There is not really anything you can do about your processor speed, BUT I really think you should absolutely upgrade that memory to 1 gig (which is the max that laptop's motherboard will accept).

            Windows XP running 512 MB of RAM is like giving a man just enough food and water to survive and expecting him to run a 10 K marathon at the same time, especially because that memory is also shared for video. Plus newer program versions demanding higher amounts of memory make it worst because you have several memory hungry mouths to feed in the OS, Video rendering demands, RR, and Winamp not including whatever else runs in the background that you may not know about.

            You won't believe the number of customers of mine that avoid or greatly delay buying new pc's because I convince them to max out their RAM. I've seen computers written off as unusable come to life like a phoenix with a ram upgrade. I think the memory upgrade will do your system a huge amount of justice. Now is the perfect time to do it because RAM is cheap at the moment. A 1 gig stick for that laptop is currently running between $33 to $42 bucks on newegg.com as of this post. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...21113&name=1GB I think it will help.
            ATTENTION FELLOW CAR PC ENTHUSIASTS, POWER ACOUSTIC = CAR PC KRYPTONITE!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

            To my adoring fans, No my Toyota's gas pedal didn't get stuck! Instead I saw you crossing the street and decided to floor it! Unfortunately, I MISSED!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Make sure your laptop is running at full speed all the time. In my limited experience, even when the system power options are set for always on, or desktop, the cpu speed is throttled by speed step to use only what is needed. I use a small utility called speedswitch xp which allows you to set processor speed to max all the time. Not good if you are using battery power, but if you are drawing external power like when you are in the car, there is no harm.
              CAR: 2007 G35 Sport Coupe 5AT
              HARDWARE: Dell D630 w/ dock, internal 80G HD, internal 320G HD, Verizon Wireless Card, iBlue GM-2 GPS w/iGuidance, OBDPros w/DashCommand, Visteon HD Radio w/ Home Made Cable, Current Version of RR w/ DFX Skin. My Install.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drewbp View Post
                I use a small utility called speedswitch xp which allows you to set processor speed to max all the time. Not good if you are using battery power, but if you are drawing external power like when you are in the car, there is no harm.
                The only time a cpu will throttle (aka run at a lower speed despite cpu load) other then from power settings is from a thermal condition. I don't know about you but I would rather have a cpu slow down then just cook if overheated. And while yes CPUs have a thermal trip that should shut the pc down immediately when it hits critical temp its not something you want to rely on.
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

                Comment


                • #9
                  Also, check out THIS FAQ I did quite some time ago. There are some great tips collected from the forums, as well as experience from my own tweaking.
                  Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

                  My Fiero Build Thread

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow thanks for all the help.
                    Recently I stepped down system wise. Went from a Dell with a P4 2.8ghz and 1gb of ram to my laptop. The dells I was using kept popping capacitors and it gets annoying after a while. Once a month I was replacing caps on the stupid things.
                    Anyway.. I know ram will help just wondering if there were any other tweaks or ideas.
                    Ive been pouring money in to my car lately and just need to slow the spending.
                    Preloading screens would probably help a little, ill keep working on this seems like a me issue.
                    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                      Anyway.. I know ram will help just wondering if there were any other tweaks or ideas.
                      The link in my last post is full of "tweaks & ideas"
                      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

                      My Fiero Build Thread

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                        Wow thanks for all the help.
                        Recently I stepped down system wise. Went from a Dell with a P4 2.8ghz and 1gb of ram to my laptop. The dells I was using kept popping capacitors and it gets annoying after a while. Once a month I was replacing caps on the stupid things.
                        Anyway.. I know ram will help just wondering if there were any other tweaks or ideas.
                        Ive been pouring money in to my car lately and just need to slow the spending.
                        Preloading screens would probably help a little, ill keep working on this seems like a me issue.
                        Thunder,

                        Another thing you can try that may or may not help, is to make a memory dump shortcut. What it will do is release any used memory from any idle processes that may be running. It is sort of a band-aid for slower systems but it might help some.

                        to make one...

                        1. right-click on your desktop and click "new"

                        2. then click "shortcut"

                        3. Next a dialog box will come up asking for a location. Type "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" (leave the quotes out).

                        4. Click "next" and name your shortcut. For example I name mine Memory Dump.

                        5. Click "finish" and a new Icon should be on your desktop with the name you gave it.

                        As a side note you can change that icon's appearance to suit your tastes.

                        From there whenever you think things are getting sluggish, you can click that icon and the computer will clear the memory from all the idle processes running on the pc hopefully freeing up a little ram that RideRunner can put to use.
                        ATTENTION FELLOW CAR PC ENTHUSIASTS, POWER ACOUSTIC = CAR PC KRYPTONITE!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

                        To my adoring fans, No my Toyota's gas pedal didn't get stuck! Instead I saw you crossing the street and decided to floor it! Unfortunately, I MISSED!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by toyotatyrant View Post
                          Thunder,

                          Another thing you can try that may or may not help, is to make a memory dump shortcut. What it will do is release any used memory from any idle processes that may be running. It is sort of a band-aid for slower systems but it might help some.

                          to make one...

                          1. right-click on your desktop and click "new"

                          2. then click "shortcut"

                          3. Next a dialog box will come up asking for a location. Type "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" (leave the quotes out).

                          4. Click "next" and name your shortcut. For example I name mine Memory Dump.

                          5. Click "finish" and a new Icon should be on your desktop with the name you gave it.

                          As a side note you can change that icon's appearance to suit your tastes.

                          From there whenever you think things are getting sluggish, you can click that icon and the computer will clear the memory from all the idle processes running on the pc hopefully freeing up a little ram that RideRunner can put to use.
                          Check your sources....It actually does quite the opposite. Theres an article on this that microsoft pulled when they stopped distributing bootvis.

                          processidletasks sends a system wide event that the processor is idle. Any programs that do things while idle will then load up and perform their task (aka memory usage will increase). Many of these functions run hourly or every other day...and do so at a lower priority so it really has no effect.
                          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                          - Always Recruiting Developers -
                          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I figure pre-loading screens is probably the best option..
                            Thanks for the help
                            New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                            New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                            "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by toyotatyrant View Post
                              Thunder,
                              Another thing you can try that may or may not help, is to make a memory dump shortcut. What it will do is release any used memory from any idle processes that may be running. It is sort of a band-aid for slower systems but it might help some.
                              Hehe...my RRMedia has this builtin and been there since the begining, every ~5mins it dumps unused mem...
                              RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

                              Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                              Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

                              DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                              Appstore Link

                              My RideRunner Plugins
                              RRMedia
                              RRExtended
                              DFXVoice

                              "There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X