Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

id3 tags bogging down RR 3-2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • id3 tags bogging down RR 3-2010

    I recently updated my TruckPC to Windows 7 and RR version 3-2010. I started having issues with it locking up when trying to load music from my thumb-drive. I eventually figured out that it wasn't actually locked, it was just bogged WAY down with some process. I had to go back to RR version 12-2009 to get it to work properly (RR version 2-2010 was also slow).

    I got back from a road trip last weekend and had a chance to diagnose the problem a little more thoroughly on my laptop. Something is wrong with the id3 tags settings. If I click "don't use id3 tags," it works perfectly. If I click any other setting, "prefer id3 v2, prefer id3 v1, mix V2 with V1, or mix V1 with V2" then RR slows down considerably. My laptop has a decent processor, but there is still a significant decrease in performance. My truckPC has an Atom processor, so it grinds practically to a halt.

    Was there some change after the 12-2009 release of RR made to the id3 functions?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    EDIT: A little more research... The problem is with id3v2.2 tags ONLY. id3v1 and id3v2.3 seem to work fine. And RR.12-09 won't show v2.2, so that's probably why it doesn't choke on them.
    --------------------------------
    Project completed! (almost)

    My Truck as featured in Custom Classic Trucks magazine.

  • #2
    ID3 Tags V2.2 are not very common -- support for it had been disabled long ago from the code in RR. We recently re-enabled the processing of those tags due to user requests. I HIGHLY recommend updating ID3 V2.2 to V2.3 (the most common format). In any case, it is safe to say that if your ID3 V2.2 has no problems with the structure/data, it should not take long to load it.

    We can most definitely take a look at the issue you're having if you can provide a sample file for us to check/test. Feel free to PM me for details.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

    "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

    Comment


    • #3
      Good news is that after updating ALL of the tags on my thumb drive to v2.3, everything seems to work fine.

      Bad news is that I didn't save any "bad files" with v2.2 tags that I can send you. All of the music with v2.2 tags came from my daughter who is away at college now. She converts all of her music using itunes. Maybe she is using an older version? My wife has itunes on her laptop at home. I can try to convert a few songs there to see if they come out with v2.2 tags. Otherwise I'll try to send you a couple of files in May when my daughter is home for the summer (if your still interested by then).

      BTW - does RR support id3v2.4? The program I used to convert the tags offers that as an option. I don't know if v2.4 is better, it's just newer.

      Thanks....
      Mark
      --------------------------------
      Project completed! (almost)

      My Truck as featured in Custom Classic Trucks magazine.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've run into a similar problem today. Basically, scrolling through a long iList locks up my computer. Music keeps playing, but the touchscreen won't take any input and I have to pull the plug to get it to reset.

        I hadn't seen this problem before this weekend, when I updated to RR 3/1/10 and the newest winamp. I haven't had much time to debug it, so I will try to do that ASAP, but was wondering if anyone else is seeing the kind of issue?

        All my files are id3v2.3, so it isn't that...

        Comment


        • #5
          RR supports ID3 V2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 -- I still recommend 2.3 as it's the most compatible all around.

          iTunes ALWAYS saves tags v2.2 but all tags I've tested worked without a problem, that's why having a "problematic" file would help to see what's going on.

          @spamminator: if you can determine which file(s) could be causing the issue, I would love to take a look and see what's causing it.
          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

          "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
          "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

          Comment


          • #6
            id3 v2.4 is too new, i dont even think windows 7 supports it
            -Thanks
            Mitch
            www.rush2112.net

            "Did you test it in carwings??"

            Sun, Come shine my way
            May healing waters bury all my pain
            Wind, Carry me home
            The fabric of reality is tearing apart
            The piece of me that died
            Will return To live again

            Comment


            • #7
              OK, so it WAS the same issue. Seems that a v2.2 file snuck into my car somehow. I switched back to the 11/09 version and it was fine, but the newest version froze the PC. Removing that file got everything working smoothly.

              If you need to quickly convert tags (and have iTunes...) then you can just right-click on a file in iTunes and use "Convert ID3 tags". I ran that on my whole library converting it to 2.3 (120GB -- took overnight).

              @guino -- let me know if you want me to send you the file, but it would probably be just a fast for you to convert the tags using iTunes -- I have a feeling that's where most of the problematic files are coming from.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by spamminator View Post
                OK, so it WAS the same issue. Seems that a v2.2 file snuck into my car somehow. I switched back to the 11/09 version and it was fine, but the newest version froze the PC. Removing that file got everything working smoothly.

                If you need to quickly convert tags (and have iTunes...) then you can just right-click on a file in iTunes and use "Convert ID3 tags". I ran that on my whole library converting it to 2.3 (120GB -- took overnight).

                @guino -- let me know if you want me to send you the file, but it would probably be just a fast for you to convert the tags using iTunes -- I have a feeling that's where most of the problematic files are coming from.
                I have itunes, but the files I converted do work, so if you can send me a sample file that does NOT work, I'd appreciate it.
                Ride Runner RR's Myspace

                "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

                Comment


                • #9
                  @spamminator:
                  if you wouldn't mind posting the file publicly it could help a few people to see what the issue is...
                  openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                  - Always Recruiting Developers -
                  Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                    @spamminator:
                    if you wouldn't mind posting the file publicly it could help a few people to see what the issue is...

                    There might be a piracy issue with doing that.


                    And technically I should give you a warning for asking for warez

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                      There might be a piracy issue with doing that.


                      And technically I should give you a warning for asking for warez
                      you...moderating

                      jk

                      if the file is playable then pm is prob a better idea...but if its truly corrupt then nbd
                      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                      - Always Recruiting Developers -
                      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by guino View Post
                        I have itunes, but the files I converted do work, so if you can send me a sample file that does NOT work, I'd appreciate it.
                        Guino, your computer may be too powerful to notice the slowdown. I can see a very small difference on my laptop (Intel Core 2 T5500 w/ 1G ram running XP). But my truckPC (Intel Atom 230 w/ 1G ram running Win7) basically just stalls.
                        --------------------------------
                        Project completed! (almost)

                        My Truck as featured in Custom Classic Trucks magazine.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by mstaedt View Post
                          Guino, your computer may be too powerful to notice the slowdown. I can see a very small difference on my laptop (Intel Core 2 T5500 w/ 1G ram running XP). But my truckPC (Intel Atom 230 w/ 1G ram running Win7) basically just stalls.
                          I do ALL my development/testing on an Intel Centrino 1.2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram, XP. Just recently I updgraded to an Intel Centrino 1.33Ghz, 2Gb Ram and Win7. I don't think my computer is too powerful by any standards.
                          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

                          "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                          "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Ok, I will try and get a file out either today or tomorrow. Maybe I can post a 30 seconds sample of the file on here as well.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X