Audio volume clipping problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio volume clipping problem

I have a 1.6 AMD and a MSI mother board, with 1.5 gig of ram. I am having a random and a repeatable audio clipping or springy sound output when I use a PCI type sound card. I can use a USB sound device, but it has no sub output or line in/mic. I have tried a $12 generic card, two Creative cards, and my latest is by ASUS. I have no conflicts in the device manager ie(yellow ! symbols). I have stopped any unnecessary background programs. When it happens randomly during playback my CPU usage goes from 3% to 7% norm, to around 36%. I can get this problem to repeat every time I change the volume up or down. After I change the volume I get the clipping 5 seconds from the volume change. I also have a 120w power controller, I am not sure if I am getting close to maxing it out. But if I was would it blow the fuse on the power controller board, or just shut down my PC?
    (Charger) Zotac IONX-B-E (Atom sing core) w/ 2gig ram Xenarc 705, M2-ATX, XP, RR&DFX5
    (Mustang) ECS mini-ITX (Atom dual core) w/ 2gig ram, Lilliput 809, M4-ATX, XP, RR&DFX5

I don't know about your power issues.. you'd have to read the specs of your hardware plugged onto it and add it all up to see if you're getting to the max. Regarding the audio problem, this sounds like a driver issue.. try finding newer drivers or even try older ones for the lack of newer ones.. If the audio issue doesn't happen with other sound devices, then it's definitely an issue with that specific driver or device. If it happens with other sound devices, then it is more likely a driver or device issue with ANOTHER hardware (I usually see this when the HD is going bad and is slowing down everything on the machine). If this problem is isolated to using RR only, then I would recommend trying a different audio player (i.e. WMP, foobar, etc).
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Guino,
      I get this audio clipping with any audio output. It even happens during the windows xp startup jingle. If I use a USB sound device, I have no problems. I have tried all of the PCI sound cards in all three of the PCI slots on my board, I still get the same issue. Would three cards from three different manufacturers all have the same issue? As for the hard drive, it is just over 1 year old. Maybe its going out, but I don't think this is my problem.
      (Charger) Zotac IONX-B-E (Atom sing core) w/ 2gig ram Xenarc 705, M2-ATX, XP, RR&DFX5
      (Mustang) ECS mini-ITX (Atom dual core) w/ 2gig ram, Lilliput 809, M4-ATX, XP, RR&DFX5

Comment

Does sound like a driver/hardware issue -- please not that it is UNLIKELY that this is because of any of the AUDIO drivers, but likely any other driver/hardware installed on the machine. USB sound may be working better simply because it may not be suffering from latency caused by this specific driver (which seems to be affecting your PCI devices).
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

reset bios settings and load optimal... just incause a pci setting got messed up... like the latency timer
          -Thanks
          Mitch
          www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
          May healing waters bury all my pain
          Wind, Carry me home
          The fabric of reality is tearing apart
          The piece of me that died
          Will return To live again

Comment

mitchjs,
            I will reset the bios to optimum specs at lunch today. Funny you should mention latency timer as a possible problem, I was just talking with a co-worker about this. He is trying to connect his guitar as a midi device on his home PC. I as of yet have never delt with latency timming issues, but I may just about to learn how to deal with them! Any insight, or good sites you could point me to?

Thanx

Comment

I rest the bios to optimal settings. This had no effect on my audio problem. I still get the clipping/springy-studder. Any other ideas?

Comment

new computer

(aka im stumped)

does this audio issues happen when just playing winamp?
                -Thanks
                Mitch
                www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Yep. I have all the hardware, and a new enclosure built. Just trying to find the time for the XP install and everything else needed for RR to run. I will still try to fix my problem, as I want to use this PC for a new theater setup in my basement. I can for the time go back to the USB sound device, I won't have need for line-in or sub (yet). The sound problem happens in everything, it even happens when I boot, and during the windows startup jingle.

Comment

yea... new motherboard time
                    what one is it anyway?
                    -Thanks
                    Mitch
                    www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                    Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Well, I am kind of limited because of my power/shut down controller. I forget the name, but it has the 20 pin atx connector. I am using a Zotec board, I am trying to keep power requierments low. That is why I am using a board with a 1.8 mhz on-board cpu. I am also running 2.5" 500 gig hard drive with (2) 1 gig dual channel memory strips. This should use min power and not alot of heat. My Charger is black, and it can get hot in the trunk. And this board is small, I reduced my case size by about a half.

Comment

hmm, lots of people use zotec boards... maybe check thier forums
                        could be just that ONE board is bad...
                        time maybe to get another, contact Zotec
                        -Thanks
                        Mitch
                        www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                        Wind, Carry me home