Using RR as my defaut GUI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using RR as my defaut GUI

Somewhere in the forums I saw a thread(I think it was on this site) on how to have RR boot up as the the default GUI instead of Explorer(was using LinuxICE as my carpc OS at the time, but touchscreen driver issues made me abandon ship)....but I can't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Also, how will doing this affect me should i need to access the desktop(will it still show up) from RR at any given time for whatever reason? Will my PC have boot issues? This would definately give my carpc a more integrated feel to it.

UPDATE: I found a link describing what I'm talking about...will this work with RR? Has anyone ever tried it?

http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums...dows-xp-shell/
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

The regkey should work, but remember that no applications on your startup will launch and RR will start directly, so you should make sure of two things before doing that:

1-That you have a way to launch explorer from RR and/or restore the regkey when you want/need from within RR
    2-That you either launch whatever you need to load (i.e. xport, etc) using some sort of start script or start of RR (i.e. Startcommand), otherwise things may not work the way you expect them to.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino View Post
      The regkey should work, but remember that no applications on your startup will launch and RR will start directly, so you should make sure of two things before doing that:

1-That you have a way to launch explorer from RR and/or restore the regkey when you want/need from within RR
      2-That you either launch whatever you need to load (i.e. xport, etc) using some sort of start script or start of RR (i.e. Startcommand), otherwise things may not work the way you expect them to.
      Very informative...thanks. I'm sure you have an idea of what I'm trying to do(trying to get an embedded, OEM feel to my carpc OS). Right now Explorer GUI loads, then RR GUI as a startup program. I'm thinking that if the RR gui was the default, wouldn't the programs that use explorer automatically start explorer when needed(when they are launched), yet still leaving the RR GUI as the default? Maybe what I'm trying to accomplish would work better if I leave thing as is, since everything is working flawlessly. Maybe I need to figure out how to get RR to load earlier in the boot process, so that it would only appear like RR is the only GUI. Any suggestion? Didn't see any reference to accomplishing this in the help file!!!

I think what I'm gonna do for now is install xp in a virtual machine, then change the gui there, and see how it reacts. If successfull I will impliment the hack on my physical machine. Will post the results(I'm sure the are others interested to know if this is possible also besides me)!!!

Comment

[...] wouldn't the programs that use explorer automatically start explorer when needed [...] ?
        Nope, they won't. Also, if you start the explorer.exe an explorer window would appear, but not taskbar and such.

When you replace explorer.exe as shell with riderunner.exe you have to be careful. Not even CTRL+ALT+DEL will work.

Will post the results(I'm sure the are others interested to know if this is possible also besides me)!!!
        Search the forums. There's PLENTY of information regarding this. You are reinventing the wheel, as you're not the first one replacing the shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad View Post
          Nope, they won't. Also, if you start the explorer.exe an explorer window would appear, but not taskbar and such.

When you replace explorer.exe as shell with riderunner.exe you have to be careful. Not even CTRL+ALT+DEL will work.

Search the forums. There's PLENTY of information regarding this. You are reinventing the wheel, as you're not the first one replacing the shell.

So are you saying that no one to date has found a good and stable workaround? Is the closest thing to what I am thinking of trying to do is making RR a startup item? If so, I shall leave it alone(If the vets couldn't solve it, I doubt I will be able to this early in the game(don't know enough, nor am I familiar enough with RR ...... yet), but I intend on running some experiments on a virtual machine. Maybe I'll luck up again and discover something useful!!

Comment

It's possible to do, but it's just a huge pain. I remember doing this years ago. I ended up having two shortcuts in RR. One shortcut to a .reg file with the explorer.exe set as shell, one shortcut to a .reg file with RR as the shell. This way I could switch and reboot if I needed to. It still ended up being such a pain that I abandoned the idea.

Originally posted by Konrad View Post
            I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I don't remember running into this, but it has been 5+ years since I've tried.
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
              It's possible to do, but it's just a huge pain. I remember doing this years ago. I ended up having two shortcuts in RR. One shortcut to a .reg file with the explorer.exe set as shell, one shortcut to a .reg file with RR as the shell. This way I could switch and reboot if I needed to. It still ended up being such a pain that I abandoned the idea.

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I don't remember running into this, but it has been 5+ years since I've tried.

Since my touchscreen works at the login screen,I was thinking more along the lines of setting up a guest account, then have RR be the default shell when I login in as the guest(Of course I would change the guest login image using the RR icon, and would change the name to RideRunner). That way when I needed to switch all I would need to do is log off, then log in as the other user(all changes to RR would be done using the user account since explorer would be its default shell as normal, plus RR won,t be set to auto start there), instead of having to create all kinds of shortcuts or have programs running in the background not relevant to programs on my RR menus or RR itself. Plus because it will have guest permissions only, won't have to worry about anyone inadvertently changing any settings to RR(other drivers or passengers). Any thoughts...is this possible???

Comment

Sounds like it would work, I know the shell can be a per-user setting as well as a global setting. I guess this means your welcome screen would need to be customized too if you want to get away from that "gross" windows feel.

Interested to see how that works out for you.
                Tidder

Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

You could set registry keys to autologon with guest, so you won't see the welcome screen. If something goes wrong you can always boot safe mode. Then autologon should be disabled and you're able to login with another user.

Comment

I may change the login screen if all goes well with the experiment(not really a deal breaker), plus RR should have a faster response time, and hopefully smoother video playback! Will keep you posted......

Comment

Working...
                    X