Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New RR install on a fresh Win7 machine is buggy. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RR install on a fresh Win7 machine is buggy. Help!

Ok pros I've been out of the RR game for awhile (at least on my car PC), but yesterday I decided to take the plunge and try the latest version in the car. Suffice to say, I'm not at all thrilled at the results!

I downloaded the November 2010 version, and installed it (in profile mode) with the latest version of winamp and the latest flash available from adobe. I also decided to download a few of the skins that have caught my eye (reborn and eLite Wings). To make the install go as effectively as possible i installed all of the above on a fresh image of win 7 home premium 32 bit.

After installation i opened up RRConfig and basically did nothing but set my music path.

I started RR just as I was pulling out of the parking lot at work, and by the time my trip was complete I had 6 crashes and had to do 3 reboots! RR and/or winamp crashed in the following manners:

-Started RR, went to audio browser and tried to load all my music. Winamp crashed and RR lost responsiveness over and over again until i rebooted

-Started RR, did the same thing, RR worked! Pressed the "Garmin" button in eLite Wings, RR freezes up and crashed. Restarted RR, winamp crashed, freezing up RR and making RR crash.

On top of the crashes, there were some funny odd hiccups:

- In RRConfig, i set my HD Radio port, but when trying to select the line the mute/unmute my line-in isnt displayed

- The decrease volume command ("VOL-") would not decrease my volume below 42%

- Sometimes starting up RR the skin would disappear except for where there were labels present. If I typed "MINIMIZE" then put RR back into focus the problem fixed itself. All of the buttons still worked in the transparent portions of the form.

Where should i BEGIN to troubleshoot this stuff? I feel bad asking a question like a noob all over again. There was nothing in debug.txt that looked out of the ordinary to me.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

there are no known issues.... i have installed RR many times on clean windows x86 and x64 setups

0 crashes

keep it simple:

1 use the carwings
    2 use wmp (windows media player)

and for you audio issues, YOU MUST INSTALL MANUFACTURES drivers, cannot rely on windows drivers for audio control.... if you look in folder "VistaMixerControl" there is a audio exerciser...Vista Mixer Control Explorer.exe what it can control is what rr can control

ALSO since it seems your video drivers are stuggling (assuming you actually installed mfg ones)
    DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION on the RR shortcut!
    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

Comment

I tried and verified it wasnt something skin specific. Carwings crashed the same as the others.

Interesting you suggest using wmp over winamp. Guess that wont hurt to try considering it seemed most of the crashes were related to winamp crashing before RR or winamp being opened when restarting RR.

And of course i'm using manufacturer drivers. CMon man you know i would go against one of your peeves

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
        Also on Win7 Turn off Aero.
        Will try that. Also, does RR need administrative privilege?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
          Will try that. Also, does RR need administrative privilege?
          I think the point of profile mode is that you don't need admin privledges.

I know if run normally you do.

Comment

yes, and no...

you dont for RR!!
            but alot of plug-ins arnt programmed correctly!and therefore admin is required

if you're using mfg drivers, the audio lines would enumerate correctly
            run vista mixer explorer to see what you got
            you can also look at debug.txt it tells you what you got
            -Thanks
            Mitch
            www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
            Wind, Carry me home

Comment

i suggest WMP, cause its built into the OS, unlike winamp...
              since i have no idea what version of winamp you're using...
              -Thanks
              Mitch
              www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
              Wind, Carry me home

Comment

I've had similar experiences...

I've mostly used the win7 x86...but i've tried the editions: Basic, Home Starter, Home Premium, and Ultimate.

I haven't had a true consistent experience. Not sure what I can attribute it to except for possibly drivers. All installs on my laptops and desktops have worked as expected.

I've not had the winamp crashes.
                I've had RR crashes. Garmin MPC crashes and configuration issues.
                Problems with the playlist not saving, or it saves but can't "find" the files and just skips through them without playing. Doesn't resume playing on next boot. Doesn't resume same song on next boot...etc...
                Foobar2k has never worked right - the playlist highlights one song, yet there is a different one playing...tried numerous things to get the list to sync but nothing has worked. Gave up on it.

Here are a few things I've tried and have had success with.

Don't use Aero - use a Windows 7 basic theme.
                Disable UAC - This seemed to help the most.
                For programs like xport and RR (if not in profile mode) - go to the compatability and check "Run as administrator"
                For programs that just plain are inconsistent and flaky, try running as administrator or run in windows xp or previous version of windows compatibility mode.
                Using Winamp 5.5x seemed to work better than previous versions.

I have a Zotac 610i board with 2GB ram, 32GB SSD, Asus Xonar dx for audio, and an e5200. Currently running Windows 7 home Basic.

Comment

I also have the playlist problem. It always goes back to the first list item after a restart/hibernation. I turned off UAC, turned off Aero, and switched to windows media player. It seemed to work a bet longer (30 mins vs. 5 mins), but crashed when all i did was hit the NEXT button. I too think its something related to a driver issue because when it crashes I cant just restart RR, it freezes up upon "Starting Audio". I have to reboot the entire system in order to get RR to come back up.

Comment

dont use old winamps!!! 5.31 > ONLY on WINDOWS 7
                    the old ones arnt UAC compliant

like i said before there are no KNOWN issues with RR and windows 7, windows 7 is all i run since it was released, and RR is solid as ever...

also i find there are little to no driver issues anymore, just about everyone has quality win7 drivers... course if your trying to use 5 year old hardware...well... i find the manufactures dont bother with them
                    i dont know anything about ur system sonic...
                    -Thanks
                    Mitch
                    www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                    Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                      I too think its something related to a driver issue because when it crashes I cant just restart RR, it freezes up upon "Starting Audio". I have to reboot the entire system in order to get RR to come back up.
                      When that happens if you go into control panel-> administrator tools -> services is the windows audio service running?
                      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                      - Always Recruiting Developers -
                      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

also.. what audio system is it?
                        realtek?

also i just searched RR for the string "STARTING AUDIO" and its NOT in RideRunner!!!!
                        that i know is in Centrafuse
                        -Thanks
                        Mitch
                        www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                        Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Correct...The Starting Player or Audio is in the skin, not RR.

The reason I got the frozen RR screen at that point was because i switched to fb2k and didn't realize I hadn't installed the commserver for it yet. Not a big deal, and I'm not blaming RR for it - just suggested a check or some sort of deadman timer in cases that something does go south during loading - it would dump back to the desktop instead of hang on that screen until it's killed with taskmanager.

I'm not blaming any of the issues I've had on RR itself. There were too many 'different' issues that were with other things to blame it solely on RR. RR was just the app tying everything together...so at first glance...it's easy say WTF??!! @$#%#^T% RR don't work! hehe...

Disabling UAC (fixed a lot of problems just by that), switched to windows 7 basic theme, used Autoruns to minimize the crap loading at startup and being scheduled, etc.

What I did to track down and try to squash problems (and I suggest the OP do as well if not already) is wipe it all out. Start fresh. First thing after windows is installed...install RR.
                          I did it in the following order, rebooting and testing things after each step:

Blast the partition and install windows from scratch (home basic in this instance)
                          Created Restore point.
                          Installed Asus Xonar drivers.
                          Installed RR. Configured for WMP and the basics. Made sure it worked the way it should.
                          Installed Winamp. Configured RR for it, made sure it worked.
                          Installed GPS drivers and xport, configured RR.
                          Installed Garmin MPC, configured RR - tested.
                          Created Restore point (since the basic necessities were met).
                          Installed the rest of the system drivers from Nvidia.

basically, when all said and done, it took me nearly all day to do...but the system runs nice and smooth now. It allowed me to find and squash bugs as they came up. I also have a clonezilla image of it should anything go wrong that I can just revert back to. All data is on a 2nd hard drive and the primary boot drive is an SSD.

Holy @#$% that was a long post...dang....sorry

Comment

Working...
                          X