one skin.ini file for multiple skins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one skin.ini file for multiple skins?

I just started working on a second version of my skin for use at night. How do I use a single skin.ini file for both the day and night skin?

Thanks...
    Mark
    --------------------------------
    Project completed! (almost)

My Truck as featured in Custom Classic Trucks magazine.

Variables set in the rr.ini file in the \RideRunner folder will be persistent in all skins. Use SAVETOINI instead of SAVETOSKIN when setting them in your day and night skins.

Comment

I guess that's one option. But that's going to be a LOT of skin rewriting, and it kinda defeats the purpose of the skin.ini file, which is to keep skin variables separate from RR settings.

Thanks..
      Mark
      --------------------------------
      Project completed! (almost)

My Truck as featured in Custom Classic Trucks magazine.

Comment

Each skin gets its own skin.ini.
        no more, no less

if you want 2 skins to be synced skin.inis you will have to do that yourself... a script... or such
        -Thanks
        Mitch
        www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
        May healing waters bury all my pain
        Wind, Carry me home
        The fabric of reality is tearing apart
        The piece of me that died
        Will return To live again

Comment

there's nothing really special about rr.ini, its just a list of settings and their options. Just do a line break deal and place your skin settings under it. Thats really the only way to handle it between skins. Either that or put both skins in the same skin folder and use a bunch of byind/byvar stuff to choose which skin files to load. That ends up being entirely more work than the alternative
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Write a plugin dll and have ini settings in the plugin folder (data folder, not actual folder)

That's what the iDrive skins have.

Still use then skin.ini in the skins folder for local gettings but the general ones which apply to all iDrive skins are handled by the DLL.

Comment

Originally posted by mstaedt View Post
              I just started working on a second version of my skin for use at night. How do I use a single skin.ini file for both the day and night skin?
              Originally posted by ACCLR8N View Post
              Variables set in the rr.ini file in the \RideRunner folder will be persistent in all skins. Use SAVETOINI instead of SAVETOSKIN when setting them in your day and night skins.
              I use multiple skins all the time and always used ACCLR8N 's method for variables such as my weathercity variables where I want the skins to use the same set of variables. I only use skin.ini when I know the setting/variables must be different from one skin to another like the size and placement of my RRTube Clip areas.

Originally posted by mstaedt View Post
              I guess that's one option. But that's going to be a LOT of skin rewriting, and it kinda defeats the purpose of the skin.ini file, which is to keep skin variables separate from RR settings.
              The purpose of the skin.ini file IS skin specific variables/settings. Global variables, i.e., for all skins, reside in RR.INI. There are several multi-file editors available to make the change painless, i.e., I use WildEdit. With them, you can search for SAVETOSKIN and replace with SAVETOINI throughout every file in a directory using a single command.
              Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
              there's nothing really special about rr.ini, its just a list of settings and their options. Just do a line break deal and place your skin settings under it. Thats really the only way to handle it between skins. Either that or put both skins in the same skin folder and use a bunch of byind/byvar stuff to choose which skin files to load. That ends up being entirely more work than the alternative
              AGREED!
              HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Working...
              X