Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Switch from Road Runner (11/5/07) to the new Ride Runner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Switch from Road Runner (11/5/07) to the new Ride Runner?

I have been away from the forum for awhile. I've been using RR for years and my last installed version is RR (11/5/07) using DFX 2.0. It still works fine for what I use it for (MP3,Video,GPS) but I'm going to be using the car more so I'm looking at adding more features (OBDII,Radio,ETC....).

I think the release I'm using was around the time Ride Runner was starting and there were talks of mandatory updates and time bombs, so with things working good for me I didn't see a need to update.

I've been browsing here a few days and even installed RR 9/1/11 on my desktop and it looks like a TON of progress has been made. The new DFX 5.0 looks amazing as well.

So....What are the Pros and Cons of updating to the new Ride Runner?

Thank you,
    Jay

why not keep your old install & then install the new so you can compare without giving up what you already have? as long as it's in a different directory I think you should be able to keep both
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

what he said isnt 100% true!

a side by side install might seem to work, but alot will fail
      the common components since 2007 to 2011 (long time you know)
      have changed
      and just running old rrconfig, will mess up com registration

see old programs like this (vb6 with COM components) are a side by side nightmare (.dll hell)

just go new, its 2011 already, so many hundreds of improvedments and bug fixes since 2007
      -Thanks
      Mitch
      www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
      May healing waters bury all my pain
      Wind, Carry me home
      The fabric of reality is tearing apart
      The piece of me that died
      Will return To live again

Comment

ha, that's why I think, while you know sorry man, thought I've done that in the past but def not with anything recent in rr
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

i agree update and get over with it...
          some old skin functions might not work right away (if you are using an old skin that is) .. but everyone in here will help you

Comment

I'd say why not give FreeICE a try.. lol but then I would. With movable widgets and a lovely flash frontend it's breathtaking (ok maybe a little o.t.t).. sorry what was that? where do you get it.. well on mp3car.com of course. It's even got it's own section and the thread to Alpha 4 is right here - http://www.mp3car.com/freeice/149182...alpha-4-a.html

Alpha 5 is due out in a couple of days with lots of editions :-) I might even add a couple more widgets for good measure.. like how far am I from home widget that updates every minute.

O.. and if you don't fancy to much of a change then defo upgrade your RR. It's got a hell of a lot more bling now :-)

CdR
            Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

hey....!!!!
              that's not fair... you are stealing customers

Comment

Originally posted by Nomader View Post
                hey....!!!!
                that's not fair... you are stealing customers
                Shameless plug..

Apols.. you noticed it then? I thought I might be able to sneak it passed :-( I could of stuck up some screenshots like this one...

but thought that was taking it a little to far, so I didn't bother.... ;-)

Naughty CdR
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

lets not hijack this thread...
                  -Thanks
                  Mitch
                  www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
                  May healing waters bury all my pain
                  Wind, Carry me home
                  The fabric of reality is tearing apart
                  The piece of me that died
                  Will return To live again

Comment

I can live with a hijacked thread as long as we can persuade Cdr to skin back for RR

Comment

Originally posted by mitchjs View Post
                      lets not hijack this thread...
                      ok.. lets not get the handbags out...

Originally posted by Nomader
                      I can live with a hijacked thread as long as we can persuade Cdr to skin back for RR
                      I think the last skin I did for RR was Ultimate, that must be 3 or 4 years ago now. I do have one unreleased skin which was a complete rip off of Centrafuse which David asked me not to release but I don't see why it couldn't be released now as they have changed there look completely.

I will see if I can dig it out.

Thanks

Steve
                      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I decided to give the new RR a shot. I uninstalled Road Runner and DFX 2.0.
                        Then installed .net 2.0, the newest Flash, and the newest Winamp. Then I installed RR 9/1. It installed fine, but after the install when it tries to run RRconfig I get an error "duplicate ini found: Winamp/GEN/AVS" <----------NOT AN EXACT QUOTE just what I remember from last night. If I hit continue I get another long error and RRconfig won't start. I'll mess with it more today and try to get it sorted out.

Comment

The actual error is "duplicate ini variable found: visuname=Winamp GEN/AVS" I'm going start digging through the ini files. This is an XP install in NON profile mode.

Comment

OK. I deleted and re-installed RR. I installed .net 3.5. It did give me the duplicate ini error again but then let me into RRconfig and after editing it every thing seems to be working fine. It ask for a registration number that I should have received when I downloaded RR but I can't find it in my emails. I still have a lot to set up, but so far I'm happy with RideRunner.

Comment

That registration number is only to keep the 3 month update screen from showing up, after 3 months past the date of the RR release. We the RR Dev Team only support up to the last three releases and users wanted a way to turn off that reminder screen, which is fine as long as your not have having issues past that 3 month support time frame.
                              RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                              Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                              Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                              RRMedia
                              RRExtended
                              DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Working...