GPS2City Zips and Such

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS2City Zips and Such

I try to play with the plugin RRGPS2City .
    I try to see something into the labels =$CURRENTZIP$ , =$CURRENTCITY$ and =$CURRENTSTATE$ .
    My position is :
    Lat = +4.862143 , Lon = -74.415130 .

Originally posted by pierrotm777 View Post
    I try to play with the plugin RRGPS2City .
    I try to see something into the labels =$CURRENTZIP$ , =$CURRENTCITY$ and =$CURRENTSTATE$ .
    My position is :
    Lat = +4.862143 , Lon = -74.415130 .
    only works with US zip codes
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I know that and i simulate a us track with my gpsgate , but i see nothing

Comment

It's possible to know how this plugin source run . It's possible to have the source for adapt it to the world ?

Comment

the source is the zips.dat file that should be included with the plugin. Open that file and you'll see a sequence of zip codes with their associated information. If such a database existed for the entire world, it could be easily adapted.

Also, in order for the labels to populate you have two options. Either run the LOCATE command, or go into the rr.ini file and set localdatacaptureinterval to 1. This will update the labels once per minute.

Comment

It's possible to know how this plugin source run . It's possible to have the source for adapt it to the world ?
            It's possible to do it for other countries but you would need internet access.

I do this sort of thing in Fuelprices.

Comment

Sorry for my first gps coordinates that was bad
              My test is:
              +40.693644,-75.224714

I have build a zips.dat file for the france with the same format but , that don't run !
              Attached Files

Comment

sure, it could be done via geocaching, but that would require full time internet to be reliable. Consider that when i first made this feature available to RR back in like 2006, internet was in short supply in the car

Comment

Sorry for my first gps coordinates that was bad
                  My test is:
                  +40.693644,-75.224714

I have build a zips.dat file for the france with the same format but , that don't run !
                  your file does not have the proper categories, pretty sure you need 7 columns, you only have 5

The plugin works just fine. Just tested it. All i did was install the plugin, start RR, run LOCATE command and CURRENTCITY populated "Centreville"

Again, if a public database, online or offline, were available this plugin could be a bit more flushed out. I could query the nearest 100 zip codes each time internet were detected for example, but i do not have any information on where that would be available.

Comment

I think that this link would be your best friend !
                    http://download.geonames.org/export/zip/

Comment

Possible zips.dat for France

pierrotm777, Give this a try and see if it works for France. I used that site you linked to, and think that I have it set up correctly.

BACKUP YOUR ZIPS.DAT BEFORE PUTTING THIS ONE IN THE RR FOLDER.

If this does work, then it is a viable solution for the countries available on that site.
                      Attached Files
                      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Possible zips.dat for England

Enforcer, you can give this one a try for Great Britain. Make sure to back up the original zips.dat of course

Either one of these, France and England, are only going to be as good as the data that is supplied in that database of course.
                        Attached Files
                        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

not to mention, the plugin doesnt use the zips.dat file in the RR root!
                          it uses the one with the plugin...
                          -Thanks
                          Mitch
                          www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
                          May healing waters bury all my pain
                          Wind, Carry me home
                          The fabric of reality is tearing apart
                          The piece of me that died
                          Will return To live again

Comment

Yet another change that I didn't know about I guess

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

yes the zips.dat goes in the main plugin folder, NOT the profile mode documents folder.

Comment

Working...
                              X