Weather Channel discontinues free XML feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Channel discontinues free XML feed

Sorry to cross post but this may be important to some.

If any one uses the Weather Channel XML feed for current weather and forecast, be aware that they are discontinuing that service 10/31/2011 and replacing it with a $62 monthly service.

I got the notice today as I use it in a program that I have.

So, it may be necessary to create new weather support for RR should anyone wish it.

I've done a very cursory search and I believe that the NWS has a similar feed but I'm not sure. Currently I use their radar source.

Regards,
    Jim

There are other options for weather, but being that TWC is one of the largest it wouldnt surprise me if other companies followed suit. WeatherUnderground has a full api and is free http://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/
    Last edited by Sonicxtacy02; 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I've found looked at two sources so far, Weather Underground and World Weather Online and from the looks of the Google search there are others.

Most require registration, so that would need to be part of any plug-in or it's install process.

I haven't done any detailed research other than there are JSON and XML feeds.

I haven't got time right now to do more than that.

I sure hope someone builds a plug-in, but please make sure it allows for dynamic location and radar images (NWS is good for this).

Regards,
      Jim

Comment

Actually wunderground.com (Weather Underground) is a one stop site for weather data.

You can get among other things geolocation data, current conditions, up to 7 day forecast, current radar, satellite images, and local web-cams.

It is also international if I read the specs correctly.

The response(s) are all in JSON and any images are accessed by another call to the URL(s) provided in the response.

You must register to use the api but for incidental use ("Developer" , 50 calls/hour) it is free.

Regards,
        Jim

Comment

I have been working on a new weather.dll in vb.net using the World Weather Online site. It will set the same label names as the existing weather, so no modifications of the weather skin should be needed. If there are changes, they will be minimal.
          Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

thank you much, for taking the time in doing this for all of us, i was doing my own using weather underground, but seeing that you guys are working on a better one, i'll wait for it, once again, thanks for taking the time in fixing this, we know how time consuming is to create an app, from zero.
            BASSRR ==> [Audio Player/MusicDB/Cd Player/Ripper/Rate/Internet Radio/Audio Capture/Youtube Video]
            RRTube ==> [View/Download Youtube Videos]
            WifiMan ==> [Wifi Manager]
            RRec ==> [Audio Capture]

If You Want To Be Given Everything, Give Everything Up ...
            Bird York -- In The Deep --

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
              I have been working on a new weather.dll in vb.net using the World Weather Online site. It will set the same label names as the existing weather, so no modifications of the weather skin should be needed. If there are changes, they will be minimal.
              I would be interested in this for FreeICE if you would care to share fella.. I am at the moment pulling basic info from google weather

Steve

p.s. I too have just got the email saying present service will finish on the 15th nov.
              Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

I don't know you work also on this PI. But good, because my laptop died and I no longer work on it. I got angry because all my sources were on it.
                Tthank you JohnWPB for help.

Comment

I have been working on a new weather.dll in vb.net using the World Weather Online site .
                  Thanks a bunch once again Professor!......... "World Weather", this looks like a good choice for keeping the weather going for RR and other Front Ends too.

Comment

Originally posted by shaken94 View Post
                    I don't know you work also on this PI. But good, because my laptop died and I no longer work on it. I got angry because all my sources were on it.
                    Tthank you JohnWPB for help.
                    Completely Off topic alert..
                    I use dropbox to code from, that way I can access my source from anyway and know if something happens it's always going to be safe. + it holds the last 30 days of changed files. So handy to drop back if something didn't work. O.. and the first 2gb are free.

Go HERE to get dropbox :-)
                    Last edited by CdRsKuLL; 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM.
                    Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

I am still working on it, and will gladly make the source code, in VB.net, available for anyone that wants it. It should be easy to just declare the SDK for another Front end being used, and change the label names to suit other front ends.

I have all the current weather working, and have converted their weather icon numbers, to match what RR is using. The only drawback, is that WorldWideWeather & Weather Underground do not have icons available for night time for the 5 day extended forecast.
                      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

John,

Unless I'm missing something, WeatherUnderground's developer site has 9 sets of icons and I believe all include nighttime icons.

Regards,
                        Jim

Comment

Sorry, I worded that wrong... they have the icons, but their forecast does not have the weather details for the 5 day forecast for night time...

EA:
                          Monday day icon, night Icon
                          Tuesday day icon, night Icon
                          Wednesday day icon, night Icon
                          Thursday day icon, night Icon

They just use the night time icon information for the current day in their XML information

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

John,

Understood.

Regards,
                            Jim

Comment

Here is an example .JSON forecast from WeatherUnderground. Note that only the day icons are listed for the "periods". The "Periods" that they use are a little strange. If it is morning, then period 1 will be today, and period 2 will be tonight. If it is evening, then period 1 will be this evening, and period 2 being tomorrow.

Note that period 3 starts as tomorrow. Hardly any information is available as was in the current Weather.com plugin. There is no data for chance of rain, day and night temperatures ect.

WorldWideWeather, that I decided to use, has all of that, other than the evening icons.

"period":1,
                              "icon":"cloudy",
                              "icon_url":"http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/k/cloudy.gif",
                              "title":"Today",
                              "fcttext":"Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming sunny. Highs around 70. North winds 5 to 15 mph. "
                              },
                              {
                              "period":2,
                              "icon":"nt_sunny",
                              "icon_url":"http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/k/nt_sunny.gif",
                              "title":"Tonight",
                              "fcttext":"Clear. Lows around 50. West winds 5 to 10 mph... becoming southeast after midnight. "
                              },
                              {
                              "period":3,
                              "icon":"sunny",
                              "icon_url":"http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/k/sunny.gif",
                              "title":"Thursday",
                              "fcttext":"Sunny. Highs in the mid to upper 60s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. "
                              },
                              {
                              "period":4,
                              "icon":"nt_sunny",
                              "icon_url":"http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/k/nt_sunny.gif",
                              "title":"Thursday Night",
                              "fcttext":"Clear. Lows in the lower 50s. West winds around 5 mph in the evening...becoming light. "
                              },
                              {
                              "period":5,
                              "icon":"sunny",
                              "icon_url":"http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/k/sunny.gif",
                              "title":"Friday",
                              "fcttext":"Sunny. Highs in the mid to upper 60s. Light winds. "

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X