RR for Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR for Linux

I have heard about a Linux version of RR soon to come. Is this just rumor, or is it a dream come true?
    Enter the LOTUS...
    (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Planning: ::::::::::::
    Parts: ::::::::::::
    Build: ::::::::::::
    Test: ::::::::::::
    Install: ::::::::::::

Oh, yeah, and build the car... ::::::::::::

About as likely as a Big Mac in Burger King.

There was someone doing a FE runnng on Linux that used RR skins, but that was many years ago.

RR is written in VB6 so would need to be written from the ground up in a different language to run on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
      There was someone doing a FE runnng on Linux that used RR skins, but that was many years ago.
      I think that was only like a year ago :P

Not only would RR itself have to be rewritten from the ground up, but so would plugins, especially the ones that relied on the COM interfaces. The .net plugins may be easier to port, but it would still not be an easy task.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

You wouldn't want to port any existing windows frontend to Linux. Technology exists today that will allow you to build a much more compelling software suite from the ground up that could blow all the others out of the water.
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
          Technology exists today that will allow you to build a much more compelling software suite from the ground up that could blow all the others out of the water.
          I'm going to jump ahead of the incoming question of "Well why dosen't someone do that", and point whoever is going to ask, back to this thread and simply say, it's been done.
          "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

tripzero
            Care to elaborate?
            Check out my Frontend project!
            http://prismaticproject.weebly.com/blog.html

Comment

I'm fairly certain tripzero is talking about Qt/QML. There was already a frontend written in it. It is super fast even on the slowest hardware, very lightweight memory footprint comparatively, and it has an extremely powerful and slick UI scripting language. It is years ahead of anything else out there.

That would require there being a significant amount of interest in a frontend written using this. It's been done, and of course the level of interest isn't there.
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by preet View Post
                tripzero
                Care to elaborate?
                Mal is right. It would take longer port RR than it would to start from the ground up. If you were to start from the ground up, you have the freedom to use tools that are far superior to VB6 or *.NET. Qt/QML is an excellent example of a framework that utterly rocks in just about every way.

Mal is also right that it's not going to happen. In order to make something people will want to use, you'd need either a lot of time, or a large development team. The latter isn't going to happen in this community because it's not big enough and the skill sets required aren't there either.
                Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

RR is mostly windows API (we don't even use VB6's labels in the code, VB6 is just a simple base for the code) - The windows features used are not really the same in Linux - I'm sure there are equivalent features with different interfaces, but it would be a nightmare trying to change the code around for it (even using some sort of cross compiler).

Closest thing you could do to have RR in Linux is use WINE - which I haven't heard anybody doing (although I know for a fact some windows games run faster in WINE than in windows itself). I don't see the purpose of doing this except to save the cost of a windows license (Which these days is included in most computer hardware anyway) OR at the most to run some other existing Linux software in parallel (Though I believe there are more applications available for windows than linux).
                  Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                  "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Working...
                  X