• windows8+riderunner

boot faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWXyXTW8VPw

system

-windows8 developer preview
    -asus e350 m1-m pro
    -ram 4 gb/1066
    -sumsung n/b 5400 rpm
    Last edited by anuchit; 01-19-2012, 09:06 AM.

I can do that with Win7 with a SATA3 SSD. That is impressive off a 5400rpm. Is your bios that fast or did you start the video a few seconds after pressing the power button.

Comment

My desktop BIOS is faster then that, most modern motherboards have an option for quick boot or something similar. Windows 8 definitely boots faster though which is certainly welcomed!

Comment

Are you running the win 8 as installed or have you tweaked the startup and taken out the stuff that is not needed? I have not tried win 8 yet, I have a tablet that I am wanting to try it on, but havent made that leap of faith yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazimir View Post
          I can do that with Win7 with a SATA3 SSD. That is impressive off a 5400rpm. Is your bios that fast or did you start the video a few seconds after pressing the power button.
          sure SSD faster than HDD..

Comment

Originally posted by hotwired_1 View Post
            Are you running the win 8 as installed or have you tweaked the startup and taken out the stuff that is not needed? I have not tried win 8 yet, I have a tablet that I am wanting to try it on, but havent made that leap of faith yet.
            no tweaked.. I turn off Metro UI start menu only

Comment

hi

i have installed windows 8 on my car pc. in first steps, riderunner is running fine.
              there is also a option to run directly an other program.
              http://myxbmc.bplaced.net/blog/?p=522
              i tested some methods. but no success.
              i think win 8 alows only programs, wich don't need adminrights to start.

i don't know how difficult it is to program RideRunner, that is possible a start without adminrights.

@coders: is there a way?
              Last edited by harryberlin; 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM.
              RR-Skin: BMW OpenBM Skin for E39 [never ending progress :-(]
              RR-Plugin: IBusCommunicatoRR new Updates

Comment

you can select the option run as administrator in the properties of the .exe , that should solve it
                View my worklog here

Comment

the option is already selected. same problem. UAC is also off.
                  if i start RR fron desktop, it runs without problem.

but i stopped the time for system startup. my xp needs the same time to start. nearly 30 - 35 seconds. my systemdrive is a SSD.
                  Last edited by harryberlin; 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I also am unable to get RR to run from startup.
                    TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
                    BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
                    BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

Nothing to do with RR but I've been testing a New CAR-PC running Win-8 for a few weeks on the bench. I've noted that Win8 delays the launch (or low prioritises) apps listed in auto start. (Task Manager - Start-up) I found that making a logon task to launch my FE is a lot faster. I've encounter no unusual problems compared to Win7 with any app with respect to admin rights.

To clarify my setup, my desktop is useable within 14 seconds from power on "cold boot" - Click my FE icon at that point and it loads instantly (1 second to FE welcome message). Make the FE app auto-run and its delayed up to 15 seconds after desktop appears. Start it as a task and it loads in 3 to 4 seconds after desktop (or Metro) appears.

I still feel that in Win8, non system apps load at a much lower priority (longer app initialisation and not just a delayed start up.) Anyone dug deeper into this?
                      Last edited by Mickz; 01-29-2013, 05:50 AM.
                      Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

what is FE?

i don't want to see the desktop or metroscreen. and don't want skip them.

if i config the userdefined start-app to firefox, win8 starts up and just run firefox.
                        but RR not.

Comment

Originally posted by harryberlin View Post
                          what is FE?

i don't want to see the desktop or metroscreen. and don't want skip them.

if i config the userdefined start-app to firefox, win8 starts up and just run firefox.
                          but RR not.
                          FE = Front End

I'll try setting my startup app to Firefox and see if that works, RR definitely does not.

Comment

it also work with xbmc: http://myxbmc.bplaced.net/blog/?p=522

Comment

Firefox will start, but the system still boots to metro, then I have to click desktop pane to see Firefox, no sign of RR

a lot of the tricks for application startup listed on the web will not work for Win8 home edition

So I'm thinking of going to Win8 professional, but I may not want to continue down the pioneer path and go back to Win 7 instead

Comment

Working...
                              X