Map Master Volume & Microphone Level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Master Volume & Microphone Level

So my sound card doesn't have that much dynamic range (perhaps in part to me using my stock Bose amplifier). I tried the map master volume function (to all input) which seems like it would solve my problem but it adjusts the microphone level as well which is not preferable. On top of adjusting the level it also unmutes the microphone which turns into a very obnoxious feedback.

So, is there any way to get it to work without adjusting the microphone level? Perhaps a new feature for 4/xx/2012

I searched but unfortunately there are a lot of threads with one of the words; all, input, map, master and volume and any combination thereof... kinda wish there was an option for include all search terms or matches exactly or something.

volume master map to all is for OLD OLD OLD bad sound cards(prob poorly written drivers)...it isnt recomended
    and is obsolete with modern os's (Vista/windows7/windows8)
    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

Comment

Ah crap. But it works and people don't all have Vista+ and brand spanking new sound cards My card isn't bad, it just doesn't have enough dynamic range (perhaps this means it is bad but it works, I own it, it sounds good and it IS a sound blaster so it can't be that bad). 1 is too loud and 100 is too quiet. I find I am constantly changing the winamp volume slider too which is a pain.

workaround idea.. for me... I'm really new to skinning as all I have done is rip apart other skins but could I change the volume up/down buttons to increment the winamp AND master volume at the same time? I know I could do it with my vb.net app.

Comment

set the winamp volume to max... or close to it
        and then use master volume

if you dont get enough output from pc to drive your audio system (has nothing to do with DYNAMIC RANGE) get a line driver amp
        PC audio isnt made for cars!!!

its typically only 1vp-p
        -Thanks
        Mitch
        www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
        Wind, Carry me home

Comment

In my case my problem IS dynamic range. If I set the winamp volume at max or close, 100 is loud enough but 1 is too loud to have a conversation. If I put winamp at low, 1 is fine but 100 is not loud enough... thus, dynamic range is too small. A line driver would just make 100 loud enough and 1 too loud.

Still would be interested in the ability to control winamp volume and master volume at the same time. I tried to code it but the master volume has more VOL+ and - levels than winamp as winamp goes from 5 to 0 instead of 4,3,2,1. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Comment

Why don't you just set different volume profiles up and then recall them.
            EXECTBL.INI
            "PROFILE1","SETVOL;WINAMP;25"
            "PROFILE2","SETVOL;WINAMP;100"
            Now with profile1 you would have conversation mode and with profile2
            you can blow your ear drums.

Comment

You mean have a button to recall the presets? I would prefer to find a way to tie it to the master volume. A preset wouldn't be a whole lot easier than just adjusting the winamp volume manually.

I was able to map the winamp and master volume together in my vb code using the sdk but I'm not sure how to get it to work within RR directly without if/else and stuff.

Comment

the winamp volume and the master volume arnt related... if you insist on trying to solve what ever problem you have with messing with both volumes
                then your going to have to solve it yourself...

besides why you having conversations in the car...just play it loud all the time...

for day to day, there is only need for master volume, i know of no real world car audio, that u mess with the internal source volume...
                pretend u cant touch the winamp volume

and solve the problem
                -Thanks
                Mitch
                www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                Wind, Carry me home

Comment

My last radio allowed you to modify source volume. Granted it was a crappy radio but it did.

Obviously at some point somebody saw it necessary to solve a problem with the map feature. My suggestion: if it is as taboo as you seem to make it sound... remove it. Otherwise, don't chastise somebody that shows interest in it.

Forgive me for asking about a feature and asking a "help" forum for help. I'll make sure to not bother the forum with my problem any longer.

Comment

the volume map was for OLD OLD soundcards that had bad drivers...
                    the VOLUME MAP is the SOUNDCARD, has NOTHING to do with the winamp volume (software volume)

i didnt say you cant ask, im just telling you, you are the ONLY one who can solve this problem
                    no one else can here

i stand by what i said, i know of no car audio system where i can adjust an indivual audio source volume
                    like the volume of the CD part, and the volume of the radio part

what OS you using, you do know the Audio subsystem in Win7 has been completly redone, and microsoft put thier
                    foot down with HW manafactures and their bad drivers, so that in Windows 7, there is only 1 MASTER volume
                    no wierd "wave out" stuff...
                    -Thanks
                    Mitch
                    www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                    Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Right, and apparently I have an OLD OLD soundcard that has bad drivers... so, it is for me by your definition.

I disagree, there are lots of people here that can solve my problem including you. That doesn't mean you want to or that it makes sense for you to do what I was asking about.

You can stand by it all you like but I DO, I used one for 7 years in my last car. Period.

I'm using XP as I stated. I'm very aware of Win7 audio system rewrite. (one of the reasons I chose xp)

I closed this thread as I could see you and I were not seeing eye to eye and didn't want to continue this discussion. I see you decided to override my decision. I certainly can't stop you but I'm going to close this thread again and would prefer to keep it that way unless you would like to help me solve the problem.

Comment

no, unless i dont fully understand your problem... but it does sound like you are not getting enough output from your pc to drive what ever your connected to
                        stock bose amp, now lets talk in abstracts cause you provided no real info

real info, what kind of sound card, real info, what kind of audio system...
                        real info what OS

ok, i know XP

bose amp, now being in the car audio industry for 20+ years, i know that they typically use a BALLANCED input, at a high level, why, because noise immunity.
                        you cannot directly connect an unbalanced audio to them... ie PC AUdio... you must use some interface electronics

now since we side tracked to the basics of car audio...

back to pc audio...

pc audio... the master volume, should be the "speakers" output, now in XP its a mess a bit, cause there are two volumes at work... wave out, and then the one that the name changes from mfg to mfg, lets call it "volume control" both affect the volume of what you hear
                        this caused many support issues with microsoft, people couldnt hear audio or such, tierd of dealing with that...MS set to fix it
                        so in the windows vista/win7 complete rewrite of the the audio subsystem, there now is per application volume, and 1 MASTER volume

now i bet a lot of people here are still is using XP for their carpcs, have their volume map still set to master
                        and they set the volume of wave out, to a fixed level, and same for winamp volume, they would use the winamp volume/mute to quiet it
                        when navigation wants to talk...even that is prob a mess, but i wont get into that at this time

problem #1, pc audio is NOT made for car, at least not the poor audio design we have been doing in cars since someone jammed 6x9s on a rear shelf
                        pc audio is designed for home theater and gaming.
                        so throwing in a sound card and playing 2 channel MP3 audio, and then wondering why there is no audio coming out of the rear....
                        its working right, 2 channel audio, should only come out of 2 channels (and they are the front)
                        course now u want to use the sub output... but technically there is no sub channel music audio in the 2 channels of mp3...

there are solutions to this... the pc is very powerfull... dont forget that, and audio can be manipulated... "Audiomulch" is one of the best at it

so to recap:

Dyanmic range is not your problem...
                        its levels/interface to the bose audio system

btw, remove some abstracts, what kind of car is this, i assume this is the OEM bose audio system
                        PAC electronics makes a bunch of bose interfaces

in anycase, RR volume map setting is for the soundcard, under XP
                        you cant even change the map setting in Win7, since there is a real master volume, there

to do any strange control of like matching volumes of "master" to winamp or something (not even sure what u wanted)
                        you would have to completely do that in an external program, or create a plugin, and you can override the volume commands
                        with your own
                        -Thanks
                        Mitch
                        www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                        Wind, Carry me home

Comment

OK, now we are talking problem/resolution.

Vehicle: 2010 Mazda MX-5 GT.
                          Sound Card: Sound blaster mp3+ USB (purchased about 6 years ago for my previous install)

The Bose sound system is line level. This is verified by Mazda techs on the Miata.net forum repeatedly.

I spliced the front and rear channels together on the harness and soldered them to RCA ends which are connected to the line out on my sound card. My aftermarket subwoofer amp has rca cables which are also spliced into the harness. This also proves I'm working with line level as the sub and Bose system are the same volume.

To be fair, yesterday I noticed (not sure why yet, probably has to do with the skin) every time I start my car (I think, try to keep track here) the winamp volume returns to 50%. This may be part of my problem. I also noticed a day or so ago that even though the skin lists the preamp as 0 to 100, it is actually -12 to +12db in winamp.

I have since set the preamp to 0 in winamp (which is technically +12db over where I was) and that helps as it should. Still, if I set the winamp volume at 100% and master at 100%, I think for the most part I'm loud enough. In the weird situation where I needed more volume because of bad music or something, I could bump the preamp... I'm ok with that. The problem however is that at winamp 100% and master at 0% (which for some odd reason 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 all play sound then once at 0 you hit volume down one more time and it actually goes silent) the volume is still too loud. I can still hear it while driving down the highway with the top down. If I move the winamp volume to 0, it is quiet enough that sitting in my quiet garage with the car off it is just ever so slightly audible.

So, to me, my problem appears to be dynamic range. 0 is too loud, 100 is too quiet. This is what I have been saying all along. Adding a line driver will just make everything that much louder. I need some way to increase dynamic range. I can't think of anything in the sound chain (other than the sound card) that could change or alter the dynamic range, it all just slides it louder or softer.

To clarify this whole thread, initially I identified this problem I was having and saw the map feature. To me I had no way of knowing it is an old feature. I didn't even notice at the time that it didn't adjust the winamp volume. I just noticed it unmuted my microphone which caused feedback. If the feature is not needed so much anymore in general and I need a new sound card... I'm OK with that. I just felt I was getting criticized for considering a feature I had no idea was "taboo." Throwing money at problems is not always the solution and sometimes silicon is good enough to fix the windshield rather then a $500 replacement job. Not everyone has a Ferrari after all. There usually is more than one way to solve a problem. The reasons to pick one method over the other is up to the individual.

My vb.net application can in fact control both at the same time very well. The problem is the skin buttons. I don't know how to skin very well so if I used the vup and vdown buttons on the skin it would only do one. I would have to set my vb app to query rr all the time to make sure the two are in sync. DEFINITELY a band aid at that point.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

1st off that is a bad sound card on my list, there has been many issues over the years with that one...
                            i remember buying it and returning it next day...

connecting front and rear together isnt right too... it prob should be mixed though resistors
                            it will depend on the input design of the bose amp

as for skin... you know my rule... test with carwings

in most cases, the winamp preamp should be 0, its software, so if you raise it, winamp does math on the bitstream to make the gain higher

one thing, master volume at 100% u need to be able to drive the system into distortion, if you cant, something is wrong

now, foget RR, close it

open winamp...

and set winamp volume to 90%
                            set winamp pream volume to 0db

and use the windows TRAY volume (the "master" on xp, with wav volume at least 90%)

if your volume is a mess still

get a new sound card

then try again
                            -Thanks
                            Mitch
                            www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                            Wind, Carry me home

Comment

dynamic range is a ratio of soft to loud

so.. to increase DNR you would need to do this in DSP

and again, i dont think its your problem!!!

your statement of 0 is too loud and 100 is too quiet is confusing the hell out of me

to me, 0 is slient, 100 is max volume
                              unless your are talking -db

the 0db is max volume
                              and -100db is impossible to hear
                              -Thanks
                              Mitch
                              www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                              Wind, Carry me home