Thinking about switching to RR from Centrafuse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about switching to RR from Centrafuse

I have been having some serious issues with my setup lately, so I am about to wipe everything clean and redo everything... I currently have centrafuse 3.6 running on w7. I am constantly having issues with Pandora, crashes, and navigation rarely working on a regular basis... I never tried anything else when I first installed the system, because in my opinion CF looked a lot better (visually at least)... I am not really sold on CF 4.1 though, and was hoping someone with experience would tell me what they liked/disliked about both and if they thought it was worth the switch. Thanks...

Well, here are my 2 cents. RR is a good program. Lots of great support on the forum here. CF definitely has looked better in the past and is nice as it has everything in one place ready to go. In my opinion, the elite 2 skin is just as good if not better looking than the CF interface. It is in alpha but I and others have been using it for quite some time and I report no major issues. That being said, there is supposed to be a new release with support for just about everything within the next week or so.

I have never run CF in my car but do run RR and have had no major problems with it. Perhaps once every 2 weeks or so I have a glitch but I think that is inherant in putting a computer into standby 6 times a day or so. I know my desktop at home eventually jacks up if I put it to sleep to much.

I'm thinking your biggest problem with RR is going to be navigation. Not that it doesn't work well but rather which one to get. The available navigation software options has severely dwindled. Basically sygic, copilot and iguidance left and iguidance is EOL, sygic is EXPENSIVE and not really for this application and copilot doesn't embed(some may differ but there was a thread where somebody got official word from dev team that you cannot resize window or something like that). There are others but not very good IMO.

I think it is worth the switch personally. I hope I helped.

Comment

RR is NOT plug-n-play so you will have to spend some time setting it up. The first hurtle you will face is downloading it. Well worth it though IMO.
      OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
      Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
      Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
      BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
      M2-ATX Power Supply
      RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
      Windows XP SP3

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdlrn View Post
        ............I'm thinking your biggest problem with RR is going to be navigation. Not that it doesn't work well but rather which one to get. The available navigation software options has severely dwindled. Basically sygic, copilot and iguidance left and iguidance is EOL, sygic is EXPENSIVE and not really for this application and copilot doesn't embed(some may differ but there was a thread where somebody got official word from dev team that you cannot resize window or something like that). There are others but not very good IMO.
        What about Garmin Mobile PC (GMPC)? I have been using it with Centrafuse and I personally LOVE it. Now Garmin as since pulled the plug on any future updates, but you can still use the up-to-date mapset's from regular Garmins with the GMPC program. IMO, that is the best option. Does it integrate with RoadRunner though. Thats the question.
        Carputer Progress
        [||||||||||] 100%
        Finally Installed!!
        Everything is in the car and working.
        I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
        Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
        View My Progress Here

Comment

Originally posted by we87 View Post
          What about Garmin Mobile PC (GMPC)? I have been using it with Centrafuse and I personally LOVE it. Now Garmin as since pulled the plug on any future updates, but you can still use the up-to-date mapset's from regular Garmins with the GMPC program. IMO, that is the best option. Does it integrate with RoadRunner though. Thats the question.
          Garmin MPC will work in RideRunner but again, will require some doing. iGuidance would be the way to go if you want it easy.
          OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
          Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
          Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
          BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
          M2-ATX Power Supply
          RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
          Windows XP SP3

Comment

Garmin Mobile PC integrate fine to RideRunner but it also depend does skin support GMPC as it need onscreen keyboard, but most skins have OSK for GMPC.
            I belive GMPC serves users fine as long as new mapset's are available. I don't think engineer going to invent new ways to navigate from point A to point B.
            I'm not a fan of Garmin as in my mind Sygic Fleet is better but I keep GMPC ready to use and maps updated.

Comment

So I guess the real question for the original poster would be what are some of the main advantages for RR vs CF?

I know RR had gestures for a long time, but the newer CentraFuse includes gestures. (Though I havent had expierience with either) Also I know the newer CF supports iPhone as an iPod, not sure if RR does or not. I guess the main advantage would be the huge support from users?
              Carputer Progress
              [||||||||||] 100%
              Finally Installed!!
              Everything is in the car and working.
              I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
              Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
              View My Progress Here

Comment

Advantages are...
                Its Free
                Regular monthly updates (CF only wishes it could, and really should, being a pay for type of SW, IMO)
                Extremely flexible
                RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                RRMedia
                RRExtended
                DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

I was under the impression you can't buy this anymore. So unless you have a copy or pirate one, this wouldn't be an option. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

There may be some copies of it out there still on clearance. I know I picked up a copy with antenna several months back for $10 on clearance
                    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay but I have been very busy and sick lately... Just was diagnosed with mono, and had a cancerous mole taken off of my foot waiting for results within 2 days. Anyways, if they stopped production of the software, I wouldn't be opposed to pirating it (not that I ever would of course *forum disclaimer*) at least to try it out, and if I can't find it for sale anywhere, whatever, their loss. I may try it out for a little bit... If it takes too much work to get everything working, I may just try to get 3.6 working again until I can get a sale price for a non navi-version of centrafuse, and match it with a better navi program. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X