RR with Win8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR with Win8

What is needed to setup RR in Win8 and is it worth it from XP with a single-core 1GHz cpu and 1GB memory ?
    VIA Pico ITX, M2-ATX clone, 7" Seform 800x480 LCD Touchscreen, Dual 2x75WRMS Mini Amps, IDE-CF & SATA-CF adapters, 8GB (Sys) & 32GB (MP3s) CF, ELMscan5USB, Slot-load DVD, Craig Brass DAB+/FM USB module, Odyssey Navigator
    Build 90% Apps 50% Install 10%

prob not, besides that way below WIN8's minimum HW Requirement!
    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

Comment

That was my first thought but when I ran the Win8 upgrade assistant on my VIA C7 PicoITX CarPC it did not find anything wrong with my system for Win8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w...e-to-windows-8

Then I found the following...
      Minimum hardware requirements for Windows 8 Architecture IA-32 (32-bit)
      Processor 1 GHz (with PAE, NX and SSE2 support)
      Memory (RAM) 1 GB
      Graphics Card DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
      Storage 16 GB
      Last edited by RevheadKev; 10-27-2012, 05:18 AM.
      VIA Pico ITX, M2-ATX clone, 7" Seform 800x480 LCD Touchscreen, Dual 2x75WRMS Mini Amps, IDE-CF & SATA-CF adapters, 8GB (Sys) & 32GB (MP3s) CF, ELMscan5USB, Slot-load DVD, Craig Brass DAB+/FM USB module, Odyssey Navigator

Comment

Yep, it's spot on the minimum requirement, but remember it's the minimum requirement.

Once you start adding applications, especially a FE and a few plugins that's going to run like most of the horses Mitchjs puts his money on.

Comment

windows 8 is no car pc solution...

but it will help you get into an auto accident much faster

touch screens, swipes, pinches, all that are you with eyes not on road...

be warned is ye
          -Thanks
          Mitch
          www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
          Wind, Carry me home

Comment

-w8 use 1024*768 minimum solution
            -boost faster
            -w8 cannot disable taskbar always ontop

Comment

W8, just another Win ME
              RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
              Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
              Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
              RRMedia
              RRExtended
              DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Originally posted by anuchit View Post
                -boost faster
                Maybe with RR, but I'm using Centrafuse fullscreen and there is no task bar visible.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                  Maybe with RR, but I'm using Centrafuse fullscreen and there is no task bar visible.

Yes CF can...But I not use CF until CF can bit perfect sound quality..

Comment

I think W8 is a great solution for $40 to update to a newer faster OS. Add Stardock's "star8" for <$10, then never have to look at Metro again other than maybe on a full reboot but just hit desktop and it's gone. I threw away or unpinned 90% of the pre-installed apps. It looks just like XP/W7 with a start button but faster, Hibernation works great (for me) , better audio handling than XP, and it will be supported my MS for updates all for about $50. I don't see the downside.
                    I don't have an issue with task bar always on top with RR either.
                    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

taskbar issue when load skin with external program..It's popup

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG View Post
                        I think W8 is a great solution for $40 to update to a newer faster OS. Add Stardock's "star8" for <$10, then never have to look at Metro again other than maybe on a full reboot but just hit desktop and it's gone. I threw away or unpinned 90% of the pre-installed apps. It looks just like XP/W7 with a start button but faster, Hibernation works great (for me) , better audio handling than XP, and it will be supported my MS for updates all for about $50. I don't see the downside.
                        I don't have an issue with task bar always on top with RR either.
                        I had the same thoughts PhilG...faster OS with better audio when compared to XP.
                        Was never intending it to be a replacement for RR.
                        Only downside I see is that it might not be able to be trimmed as much as we can now with XP...how small was your install after you unpinned the pre-installed apps you didn't need ?

Comment

w8 is a rocking OS, really great backend improvements...

we can complain about the metro ui, just not used to it, i think is ok for touch screens, still too clunky with mouse for me...
                          besides im a power user, and i wouldnt use any metro app anyway... it just like anyother thing, apps on phone, 1000's out there, most useless for me

but i did buy start8, works perfect!
                          -Thanks
                          Mitch
                          www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                          Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Originally posted by anuchit View Post
                            -boost faster
                            You can scratch the faster boot too, for the most part, since most people only use the standby modes anyway, and those havent really become faster.

For me the 1024x768 limit breaks the whole W8 deal. Something bigger than a frameless 7" doesnt fit into my car and there are no 7" with a resolution like this (or higher for that matter), and if there were, you wouldnt be able to read anything properly in other applications. If at all it drives me away from the Car PC solution as a whole, if even frontend developers with their very limited resources and time jump on the illogical Metro bandwagon.

Comment

I think windows 8 is just the thing needed to keep the 'car pc' as we know it alive. Given enough time there will be a slew of apps that we will be able to embed into RR which should remain viable with continual updates for years to come. How many times have we installed a plugin (heck even some frontends) only for the creator to disappear? Or scraping information from websites for the site to change format and us be sol? They are dumping alot of money to lure developers into the os and app market. We will be able to use the enormous userbase and promises of riches to our benefit. Think about the possibilities of what this thing purposes.... I for one see real time traffic and nav connected to the cloud as a must have in the vehicle. I no longer use iguidance in the car given how outdated it has been lately. I reach over my android phone which is sadly heaps better. I started this hobby 12 years ago with winamp then moved on to media engine. I have been using RR in 3 vehicles since then. I see this as a natural progression, an evolution if I may of where the builds have come from and where they will be going
                              Last edited by Ces///M3; 11-07-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X