What am I missing?
Yes I checked with carwings
I am having the same problem. Just started a few days ago. Nothing else changed - no change to fonts, etc. on the PC, no updates to RR or DFX skin, etc. Nada. I believe Enforcer must be right - there must have been a change to the data stream.
Can someone who understands the raw data coming down take a look and do a compare with older data? There must be something that changed.
I've tried all the tricks to fix the display to the degree symbol (°), including editing the RR.ini, etc. (which should not be necessary to begin with given no other changes). It makes no difference. It is NOT a font problem! (at least that is not the core issue)
Odd. I noticed some other odd behavior in my RR install (e.g. VOL +/- buttons click but nothing happens), so I am installing everything from scratch again (HD wipe, new OS, etc.), and see what happens. Perhaps installing a Plugin caused the issue. I'll try and figure it out if I can repro the problem.
Mitch, thanks for verifying it is probably NOT a data feed issue!
i wouldnt do install from scratch... seems too time consuming...
just disable all plugins (except weather)
there has been a change to the data feed for searching, i have made a tweak to the weather plugin, will be in Jan's 2013s' release
I did a fresh XP SP2 install anyway. I also installed the Jan 2013 RR version. The weather degree symbol worked fine the first few logins, but now it's exhibiting this strange text / error again. Here's what I can tell you:
1. I did not check the weather after installing each plugin (list below), but I can tell you it occurred either after installing a plugin or after some number of restarts of RR.
2. Here's the list of plugins I installed before I noticed the problem:
o Weather (obviously!)
o DFX5 (ver. 5.1.2)
3. The problem now does NOT manifest itself with the CarWings Lite skin (it did before the new install). It ONLY occurs in the DFX 5.1.2 skin
4. I tried disabling all plugins except DFX 5 and Weather - same results.
5. Some of these plugins were installed with DFX 5. I used the most recent version of these plugins when I installed them. I checked the RRMediaDB and RRExtended plugin versions (which were installed by DFX), to be sure they were the most current (they were).
6. I happened to check the weather (and notice the bug) after installing an update to RRFuelPrices (via the updater tool in the corresponding Plugins folder). Not sure if that could be related or not.
Is there an easy way to cross post this discussion in the DFX 5 thread? If not, I'll re-post this info there.
I can confirm somewhat the same problem. I did not reinstall Windows or anything, I did not install latest RR yet, still on 12-1-12. The plugins installed are DFXVoice, Mobilephone plugin and whatever the DFX skin puts in and or RR.
I disabled the DFXVoice & Mobilephone plugin.
I then loaded up carwings it was still messed up, I then exited RR, opened it back up, it was still messed up but somewhere along the way it finally started working again after a few restarts of RR and checking the weather in carwings. Then after a couple times checking weather (it was working) I went back to DFX and its messed up again n Carwings and DFX.
What I can tell you is sometime in 2012 it was working with all the same plugins so something recent is messing it up. I have to check but I don't think there has been an updat for DFX in the last few months at least.