Cant get it to sort one directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get it to sort one directory

I recently ripped a vinyl record with Audacity. Cut up each side using their lables and added track information.
    Saved everything in .ogg and named the files 01-xxxxx.ogg, 02-xxxxx.ogg etc..
    My collection is saved like this: e:/Artist/Album/Songs
    RR just won't play this one folder in the right order.

I tried removing the 01- ect. Then put the track numbers back in the file names.
    I used another program to ensure the tag information is correct. Everythings the same except track title and track number like it should be.
    Even converted them to MP3 with track number in the file name.

Using Winamp to scan the directory it all looks good.
    I don't have any playlists. I normaly play entire albums letting RR build the on-the-fly playlist from the directory contents.
    Looking at the RRPL.m3u8 all the files are listed in the order they are being played in RR.
    The file names in RRPL are correct showing the track number at the start of the file name but they are not in the correct order.
    The order of the files seems to be random but always the same. track # 14, 15, 16, 08, 09, 11 07, 06, etc.. (total 16 tracks)
    Doesn't work in CarWings or my customized eLite Wings.

What the heck is going on? I thought I read that the on-the-fly playlist is built sorting files by file name?
    Thanks
    davidk

Winamp 5.623
    RR 1/1/2013
    TinyXP
    Let me know if you need any other info.

Ok, Seriously..how does this software sort stuff!

I was able to get the one folder mentioned above to sort correctly. I don't know what I did but the last thing was delete the songs and copy them one at a time in order. The file names were the same but now it plays in the right order.

Now I browse to a folder that contains a purchased mp3 cd and it will display in the correct order in Audio_Browser but when "Add1" to the folder they aren't in the correct order in Audio_Player or the RRPL.
    It might be working in Carwings but I need to test it a little more (had to get into work).

Where is the sorting done. How does it determine how to add a folder of songs to the on-the-fly playlist?
    Anybody?

Comment

as for playlist, "add1" it plays in the order you add them

i use tags, so when i go to a folder, its sorted by track #, based on TAG data...

see track order
      Attached Files
      -Thanks
      Mitch
      www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
      May healing waters bury all my pain
      Wind, Carry me home
      The fabric of reality is tearing apart
      The piece of me that died
      Will return To live again

Comment

Thanks Mitch,
        But who is doing the sorting? Windows, RR or Winamp?
        In Windows I don't know of a "setting" for how it sorts files. I mean you can go into explorer and sort by whatever column you have listed and there's the "remember each folders view settings".
        Winamp is kinda the same thing. In the library you can sort by whatever column but it's not a setting (that I know of).
        Does RR sort files? Is it under the Tags & Formatting? I'm playing with the options in there on a different system that doesn't have the sorting problem so I can't tell if I'm fixing anything. Too cold to sit in the car for long. I might bring the system inside this weekend so I can test in comfort.

This morning I was playing and discovered that if I browsed into a folder with more than one album they were displayed in the correct order. But if I backed up one level (to e:\music\%artists%) and did an ADD1, the playlist was generated with the albums out of order (according to what the browse window showed) but the songs for each album were in order.

Using Carwings and the same folder as above populates the on-the-fly playlist correctly.

I had a system that was sorting everything correctly. Nothings changed that I know of and it didn't seem to coincide with the upgrade of RR each month.
        Thanks for any suggestions.
        davidk

Comment

i dont know... it just works...

im very consistent how i organize my music

1 album in a folder, file names are always xx - nameofsong.mp3
          where xx - is track # 01 -
          so when i go with windows, its sorted by file name too
          but i dont think rr cares about that...

like i said it just works

for all i know since im using winamp, its doing the sorting
          (things to think about)

you will figure it out...

here are my settings
          Attached Files
          -Thanks
          Mitch
          www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
          Wind, Carry me home

Comment

My music is as organized as I care to make it. Like I said,
            \artist\album\songs
            |----\album\songs
            or
            \artist\songs

A year or so ago I spent a solid couple weekends getting cover art and fixing tags on 250gig of songs. I don't want to ever do that again.

Thanks for the 'it just works'. At least now I won't be frustrated thinking 'someone knows how it works'. I'm going to test a little more in Carwings. If that works I'll start cutting and pasting ini and skin files.
            Try to get the core bits of Carwings that work right into my eLite Wings that I've sliced and diced to suit my needs.

Thanks again.

Comment

keep in mind, the carwings skin is using MEDIALISTS to display the playlist and the file browse

i dont know what elite Wings is using
              -Thanks
              Mitch
              www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
              Wind, Carry me home

Comment

on another note... if using winamp

RRPL is generated from the playlist winamp exposes

so... maybe its some winamp setting you got...

try windows media player
                -Thanks
                Mitch
                www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                Wind, Carry me home

Comment

I'll keep that stuff in mind.

I've reworked my version of eLite Wings to the point where it almost doesn't resemble the original in the skin files.
                  I've also "flattened" it to where it's not building each screen from a bunch of includes. Each screen is a single image.
                  And I've adapted some stuff from Carwings already. My browser and audio_player use this code:

audio_browser.skin
                  Code:
                  [ DIRECTORY LIST ]
                  IL,DL,transparent.bmp,sel2.bmp,end2.bmp,0,50,60

ML,DL,,46
                  S,237,104,563,412,0,0,0,0,0,0,200,200,200,200,200,200,100,100,100,#FONTR#,#FONTG#,#FONTB#,false,26,"HandelGotDLig"
                  SD,0,03,-1,-1,"","",TRUE
                  audio_player.skin
                  Code:
                  [ PLAYLIST ] 
                  IL,PL,transparent.bmp,sel2.bmp,end2.bmp,2,50,80

ML,PL,"%TextW=470%%TITLE%",45
                  S,390,123,410,386,200,200,200,0,0,0,0,0,0,100,100,100,#FONTR#,#FONTG#,#FONTB#,false,26,"HandelGotDLig"
                  So I think I'm using media lists as well. I've got a couple days vacation where I thought I was taking a trip but got a cold instead. So I might be able to spend several days testing and reworking things.
                  Thanks,
                  davidk

Comment

"ADD1" command on a folder name will let WINAMP (or whatever player) add the folder with the files in whatever order it sees best-fit.
                    "ADD1" command on a file name will make RR add the single file to the end of the existing playlist.
                    "SELECT" command on a folder will cause RR to load that folder as a playlist in the order it would list the files in the audio browser.

There's no good reason why this would not work right unless you have a playlist file in the folder with the wrong order of files in it mixing it all up for you.
                    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

good point on the .m3u files, i dont use them myself

in the folder with the songs, is just .mp3s (sometimes a cover.jpg)

m
                      -Thanks
                      Mitch
                      www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                      Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Same here. No playlists floating around that I know of. I'll do a search.

That's good info on the add1 and select.
                        In audio_browser I use these commands
                        Code:
                        B,134,349,133,59,"UP||CLEARLIST||ADD1||UP||PLAY",
                        B,126,414,141,60,"CLEARLIST||ADD1||UP||PLAY",
                        B,112,479,155,62,"DOWN||CLEARLIST||ADD1||UP||PLAY",
                        ADD1 will add the folder to the playlist but stays in the audio_browser. I just tested SELECT and it pops you into audio_player and it browses into that folder if you go back to the browser.
                        Last edited by davekra; 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I think I found what's doing it.
                          It was guino's mention of how the 'add1' command works. ""ADD1" command on a folder name will let WINAMP (or whatever player) add the folder with the files in whatever order it sees best-fit."

This led me to think that Winamp was the culprit. Turns out it's actually the windows filesystem. FAT32 vs. NTFS.
                          I didn't connect the reformatting of my music drive to FAT32 because it was a few weeks prior and the music I'd played since then was playing in the right order.
                          I'd reformatted the drive to FAT because I didn't need the overhead of NTFS. Not that it was that much and on a regular spinning drive wouldn't impact lifespan, but just thought it wasn't needed.
                          Turns out that when a FAT drive delivers files to an app it does it by disk clusters as explained in this snip from a 2004 thread;

FAT filesystems store file references in the FAT (file allocation table) record based on the disk clusters that contain the files whereas in NTFS files have an unique ID in the MFT (master file table).
                          If Windows accesses the FAT record it gets the file information based on the disk clusters. That means if you start with a blank disk it gets the information for the oldest files first.
                          If Windows accesses the MFT on NTFS it asks for the file ID and gets the results sorted by name.
                          I've only tested on one directory at lunch. Created a new directory. Dropped two album folders into it in the wrong order. Winamp built the OTF playlist in that wrong order. Delete the albums and re-copy in the correct order and it played in the correct order.
                          That would also explain why the media lists in RR would show things in the correct order. RR was sorting things by name and when Winamp was asked to make an OTF playlist from the directory it was not in the order shown because of the FAT thing.

Tonight I'll reformat my music drive to NTFS and should be back to loving this thing again.
                          Fingers crossed.
                          Thanks for the help.
                          davidk

Comment

Working...
                          X