may try w surface pro?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• may try w surface pro?

so i just got the 128 gb for the specific purpose of installing in my car. Ive looked for a decent media player and the best that i see is actually ride/roadrunner. i think this will be a perfect fit, yeah?

Yeah..but, will it install on that tablet?
    OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
    Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
    Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
    BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
    M2-ATX Power Supply
    RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
    Windows XP SP3

Comment

As long as RR runs on Windows 8 it should run on the surface pro.

Comment

Have you had a chance to try the screen in the vehicle? I will be looking at something like this in the future, however some testers have claimed the screen was quite reflective and difficult to use outside? Wonder what your thoughts are on this? I'm currently running Win8 on the car PC, runs perfectly.
        Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

no havent tried yet. im getting everything together to install in the next couple of weeks and never even thought about reflection issues yet. may rig something up this weekend to test.

first two issues i have had though, my powermate or BU-353 dont recognize off the usb port. i may have to hit up seperate forums for that though

Comment

I had to ditch my BU 353 because mine had the older USB to serial adapter which doesn't work with windows 8, I replaced it with a bluetooth gps I had.

Comment

i think i may end up with a bt gps too. i have another alternative for the powermate, but id like to use that.

Comment

Originally posted by buckemdwn View Post
                no havent tried yet. im getting everything together to install in the next couple of weeks and never even thought about reflection issues yet. may rig something up this weekend to test.

first two issues i have had though, my powermate or BU-353 dont recognize off the usb port. i may have to hit up seperate forums for that though
                The Windows 8 Prolific driver only supports the newer chipsets. However, you CAN use the older drivers with Win8 and they will work. Here's a link to one I have working with Windows 8 right now:

http://repo.centrafuse.com/centrafus...ler_v1.5.0.exe

Windows 8 will try to update that driver to the newer version, so if it stops working, open driver manager, right click on the affected port and rollback the driver to the previous version. There is supposed to be a way to indicate to Windows 8 that you don't want that driver automatically updated, but I haven't found it yet. Maybe the smart folks around here can give us a tip.

VegasGuy

Comment

I did the driver thing but windows updated the driver and I didn't feel like doing the rollback every time. It would nice to not have Windows 8 update that driver. The one nice thing about the bluetooth GPS is that it has a battery in it and will startup with a connection request and disconnect after a period of no activity. I wired up a nice charger for it too.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                    The Windows 8 Prolific driver only supports the newer chipsets. However, you CAN use the older drivers with Win8 and they will work. Here's a link to one I have working with Windows 8 right now:

http://repo.centrafuse.com/centrafus...ler_v1.5.0.exe

Windows 8 will try to update that driver to the newer version, so if it stops working, open driver manager, right click on the affected port and rollback the driver to the previous version. There is supposed to be a way to indicate to Windows 8 that you don't want that driver automatically updated, but I haven't found it yet. Maybe the smart folks around here can give us a tip.

VegasGuy

+1 , I had to do the same thing a few weeks ago. Apart from that I have over 16 USB devices running (3 are Prolific) and everything is perfect.

Very easy to stop windows 8 auto updating the drivers. Goto Start and select Settings for the Search function and type in "change device" and select "Change Device installation settings".

EDIT:

Another way to get access to every setting is the old "GOD folder" trick. Create a shortcut on the Desktop and paste the following as the location %WinDir%\explorer.exe shell:::{F90C627B-7280-45db-BC26-CCE7BDD620A4}
                    Last edited by Mickz; 02-21-2013, 05:14 PM.
                    Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

ok i downloaded and installed rr on my surface. any reason why im not getting a full screen? ive played with the page 1 setting but nothing is working resolution wise. i admit i havent played with this frontend much at all. it might not be the solution i was looking for.

Comment

Find your "general.ini" file which is located in any one of your RR skins, and change your res to the one your using in the lines.......

ShowWidth=
                        ShowHeight=

And this should fix 'ya.

Plus, if anyone could post a vid of the Surface/RR in action with maybe DFX, eLite2, Uconnect Touch skins would be cool.

Cheers.
                        Last edited by RAWPWR; 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X