is riderunner dead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is riderunner dead?

site seems to be down, is this the beginning of the end?
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

I decided to put Windows 8.1 on the carpc and I've been waiting a few days for the ride runner install haha Might have to just find an old one
    Fox Mulder
    2004 Toyota MR2
    Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

I'm looking for the software as well! Anyone who can help out? shoot me a pm

Comment

I sure hope not I'm in the middle of upgrading my skin for my new win 8.1 system as well just fighting with the vista mixer balance issues, may have to write something myself. anyway I have a version from 5/5/14 i can sen you if you can't find anything newer.
        1982 Mazda Pick-up
        Hardware: Asrock Q1900ITX w/ 2Ghz quad core Bay Trail-D & 4Gb DDR3, 160Gb Samsung SSD, Visteon HD Radio, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX DC-DC ATX PSU, Altina GPS, win 8.1

Comment

jtm I sent you a PM

Comment

I believe that RR has been dead for a while, the rest just see that now does not intervene any more, and these problems are not resolved for years. This software was rewritten from scratch, but apparently the author does not have time to spend that kind is free of charge. I guess we'll have to throw out Centrafuse; (

Inviato dal mio Fantastico Samsung NOTE 3....altro che I-PHOGNE.... ahaha

Comment

the software was DEFINITELY not written from scratch because there's no way they would have restarted with VB6 again. Anyway, Mitch just updated it for July and its still hosted on his private FTP. I'm sure a new download link will be made available soon.
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Subscribing in case the link gets posted here .
                Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

Comment

Nope, RR is not dead.... Just looks like NISU is not going to be releasing a paid version. It is now freely downloadable and the nag / registration screen has been removed. Check the first post in the August 2014 release thread Mitch started.
                  Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Still alive and well in my truck
                    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Road Runner has new life in my car. It just took a few years for technology to catch up I guess. What I mean, is a typical CarPC that I have had in the past is the PC, and finding a place to locate it, then running a VGA/HDMI cable to a separate touch screen.

I just purchased a Windows 8.1 tablet on eBay for $240. Less than the price of a standard 7" touchscreen.

It has a dual core 1.8 Ghz CPU, 4 gigs of ram, a multi touch 11.6 screen with a 128 Gb SSD drive. All in a tablet that is just a hair less than 1/2 inch thick. It sips electricity, and has it's own battery backup. I am able to leave it in standby for 3 days and it will instantly boot (well in 2 seconds from key on). If it's longer than 3 days, it automatically hibernates, and then takes around 10 seconds to resume. Road Runner FLIES on it.

I use Road Runner as the front end and can embed Windows 8 Modern / metro apps. (Using ModernMix from Stardock) On top of that, I use BlueStacks Android Emulator so I can also embed Android apps. The best of all worlds.
                      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

John,

I went the same route a while back, what a beautiful thing!
                        No more headaches. :-)
                        The only thing missing is "CORTANA" in the mix, Microsoft should be adding this in a upcoming update this is also what is discussed all over the interwebs. X fingers, I hope that they don't backpedal on this, I'm looking forward for this add-on to have a AI personal assistant in my ride. :-)

Also,
                        john,... just curious man,....
                        Are you by any chance going to update DFX5 in anyway?
                        ie: CNN news radio,
                        ...maybe the recorder so it recordes what you hear?
                        (Not rely on 3rd party plug to get this working) which never worked.

DFX5 is a excellent skin for RR which I still use daily!!!! :-)

Good luck man, a W8 tab is the way to go. :-)
                        Last edited by RAWPWR; 10-21-2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

John, that is pretty cool.. can you share more details about your setup.. what tablet, usb connectivity etc

Comment

CarPC Tablet and some information

Yea, the tablet certainly seems the way to go. Technology is really just now catching up. A few years ago, I tested an old windows tablet, and it was just bulky and really slow! I did not want to go the iPad or Android route, so was just CarPC-less for a while

Originally posted by RAWPWR View Post
                            John,
                            Are you by any chance going to update DFX5 in anyway?
                            ie: CNN news radio,
                            I have no plans at this time of updating the skin. As far as the CNN radio, I can say that is not coming back. CNN killed their audio podcast a few years back. It was nice while it lasted, as it was all of the days news in about 4-5 minutes.

I can say, that if I find something broken, or create something new for myself, I will make those changes available.

Originally posted by Nomader View Post
                            John, that is pretty cool.. can you share more details about your setup.. what tablet, usb connectivity etc
                            I am running a Samsung Series 7 Slate. It's a really nice machine and RR just FLIES on it! I have the dock as well, and all will be built into the dash and hidden by a bezzle. I want a kinda stock built in look, and not the ability to dock and undock the tablet. The dock has a single USB on it an an Audio Line out. The line out is going straight into my head unit. The USB port is connected to a 12v powered 10 port USB hub. This gives room for the 2Tb 2.5 drive, GPS puck, Mitch's LED controller, the HD radio device, Wireless Alfa device, reverse camera and some room for expansion.

I have a Pc Joycon that allows me to use my steering wheel controls to trigger voice recognition and volume, prev/next track ect.

Lastly, I have a CarPC power controller hooked up to the tablet. I took the table to a phone repair shop, and had them solder wires to the power button connectors. VERY tiny soldering work! Now when start the car, the tablet resumes from standby in a around 7 seconds. (I have a 5 second delay to ensure that the car started). When I turn the car off, it waits a few seconds and then puts it back into standby. The power controller has a voltage monitor, that can kill power to the tablet if the cars battery is getting too low to start. I don't think this will ever happen, as just with the internal battery on the tablet, it can go a few days in standby. I can only imagine how long it can go connected to the Car's battery!

I had been working on embedding Windows 8.1's Metro / Modern Apps. I finally got it working to press a button in the skin and embed an app. In the video you can see me testing the Bing Weather embedded into the skin. I used a program from Stardock called ModernMix that allows you to run modern apps in standard windows with a minimize, maximize and close button. (What a concept ay Microsoft?!?!)

The best part of this is all of the apps are written for use on a touchscreen. Large buttons, pinch to zoom, drag to zoom ect. I will be using the Bing weather app, Skype, iHeart & Slacker radio's and whatever else would be good in a Car environment

I am still working on the interior of the car, and the custom center console. So here is a short video of the tablet in action here on the desk:
                            Last edited by JohnWPB; 10-23-2014, 12:12 AM.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Testing Steering Wheel Controls and Voice Recognition

Here is another video I did when I took the tablet outside and just set it on the center console to test the connection and function of the steering wheel controls:

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X