Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like Media Car -- Wish you had the source ? Check this out...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Media Car -- Wish you had the source ? Check this out...

I have silently been working on my own project as a replacement for Media Car (which in my opinion is one of the best in-car systems around).

My replacement (REMedia Car) is in fairly functional stages and is currently what I use in my car.

If you wish to have more information on it, and/or contribute with help on finishing the project, have a look at:
    http://guino.home.insightbb.com

My software is 100% open source and should work with all Media Car Skins that do not have bugs.

Feel free to contact me to offer or request help.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Sweet, sounds like a great idea, thanks!

Prepare for a deluge of feature requests

I'll start by asking that you incorporate a lockout similar to the one fordoplayer uses to stop DVD and Visualzations when driving.
    "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
    http://www.eff.org/

Comment

wow! this could liven things up around here

The media frontend I use is also a clone of mediacar, with features integrated that I wanted (album art on the playing screen, fade transitions between screens and little things like that). It's great that you've released yours open-source

Don't forget you could also use the new Destinator frontend SDK to include turn directions / speed information etc on the different screens
      Destinator 3 For PC! - http://www.map-monkey.co.uk/

Comment

If given a better name, I'm pretty sure that it could find its own subforum
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Actually I think the MediaCar forum is the perfect place for this.

This is incredibly exciting news. I'm gonna check out your site. I knew someone was going to attempt this.

EDIT: WOW, that is really impressive. I wish I knew how to code, I'd love to help you out, but I'm sure there's no shortage of people in here that can help ya there.

Will this MediaCar still be based on Winamp?

I see you have the player controls in the nav screen. I've asked of this before and it's come up in FrodoPlayer. But with external nav programs (Routis/iGuidance) will this be a possibility? Be able to see what song is playing and control??

Lastly, the temperature display is a really neat idea. What would the end user have to do to make this operational?

Sorry for the flood of questions. Just an exciting prospect for those of us who have waited for the next MC.
          Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

Can't get it to work though I have media player classic installed, and I downloaded the skins and set the directories right:
            skinpath=C:\Documents and Settings\David Burban\Desktop\Other\RemediaBinary\SKINS\Alpine\
            skinpath=C:\Documents and Settings\David Burban\Desktop\Other\RemediaBinary\SKINS\Brushed\
            #skinpath=C:\Documents and Settings\David Burban\Desktop\Other\RemediaBinary\SKINS\Default\
            mpcpath=c:\program files\media player classic\mplayerc.exe
            destinatorpath=c:\DestinatorApps\Frontend_BETA3\De stinator3.exe

And I get the message: .... does not contain a valid skin! Check your settings and try again!
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

It might not like the double spaces in the directory structure, I usually have a problem when using "Documents and Settings" in VB

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Monkey
                It might not like the double spaces in the directory structure, I usually have a problem when using "Documents and Settings" in VB
                And people wonder why I don't like VB

[Edit]: But Program Files also has a space there.
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I hope this catches on! I really like MediaCar but I gave up on it long ago. I guess I should reinstall it and give this a try.
                  It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Monkey
                    I don't.
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                      Can't get it to work though I have media player classic installed, and I downloaded the skins and set the directories right:
                      skinpath=C:\Documents and Settings\David Burban\Desktop\Other\RemediaBinary\SKINS\Alpine\
                      skinpath=C:\Documents and Settings\David Burban\Desktop\Other\RemediaBinary\SKINS\Brushed\
                      #skinpath=C:\Documents and Settings\David Burban\Desktop\Other\RemediaBinary\SKINS\Default\
                      mpcpath=c:\program files\media player classic\mplayerc.exe
                      destinatorpath=c:\DestinatorApps\Frontend_BETA3\De stinator3.exe

And I get the message: .... does not contain a valid skin! Check your settings and try again!
                      Looking at the code it appears that the skins on his web site are not the full skin but rather additions.

In particular his loadskin method is looking for two main files:
                      * general.ini, and
                      * Menufile

I would presume you have to download the actual MediaCar skin (eg BrushedMetal), add the additional skin files from guino's website (brushedmetalupdate.zip) and then you should be good.

Remember open source requires more massaging than your standard binary install ...
                      Originally posted by frodobaggins
                      I don't.
                      Me either
                      Caputer Mk. II
                      '02 VX Holden Commodore Series II Executive
                      MII12000, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD (5400rpm), 16X DVD, TS200V
                      Morex 60W DC-DC, Custom S/SDC
                      OS/Software: Developing...

Comment

Yay! I got it to work! Really wish someone would have improved upon mediacar instead of just copying it. By improve, I mean done it in a language other than VB.
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

hmmmm.....I can't seem to get it to play music. I downloaded Media Player Classic (mplayerc), placed it in MediaCar Directory, and changed the Remedia path (mpcpath=C:\Program Files\MediaCar\mplayerc.exe). I Can play the files in Media Player Classic or Winamp, but they don't play in REMedia Car at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work!
                          It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

Ok... some answers...

gezz... didn't expect all this fuss about it already...

to start, I have just uploaded a newer version with support fot the GPS Menus screen (Still support only for Destinator, but other external GPSs is only a step away)

On using Destinator's SDK -- Definitely, I will work on this as soon as I get the other main portions of the software completed. I have reviewed it on it's earlier stages, but I know it's easy to do.

About the Song Display on other GPS applications -- this software is made so you can place ANYTHING on ANY SCREEN, so that is a BIG YES. You can not only display the song info, and use the controls but you go as far as having the playlist or directory list in those screens. The next step is to make dynamically loadable screens -- the idea is to have an "access" button that could bring up the playlist controls from ANY screen so you had quick access to your songs (similar to the mixer) but in this case, you could add as many windows as you wish to. There will be no restrictions to the number of windows in the software. The only restriction so far is that you can only have 1 Touch Wheel, 1 Playlist and 1 Directory List PER SCREEN (but even that could be expanded).

The temperature sensor is a pretty simple serial circuit available for sale ($30) online around the world (check out the links page on my site for info on this). All the user has to do is set the COM port for the circuit, tell if the readings are in C or F and that's it. Users that do not have such circuit can simply comment out the lines on the skin files.

Winamp is the player used to control the audio portion of the software,

About using VB... I'm pretty much a radicalist when it comes to programming, if I want to make it quick I'll use VB, if I want to make it performance efficient I'll use 100% Assembly. I occasionally merge VB and Assembly (for the functions that require performance). Anyway, you'll probably notice that I don't even have the "Loading" screen in my software, since it performs quite a bit faster than MediaCar itself.

Hope this helps, and I'd be really glad if somebody offered help on missing features such as:
                            -Radio (Easy, but I have no radio card)
                            -Gamma (Not sure of best way of doing this, I was planning on just using it as a Day/Night Skin function)
                            -Mappoint (Have it and have already played with it a bit, but it will be awhile to add all of its functions)
                            -Launch and External GPS just need to be finished using Destinator3 as example.
                            -ID3 support (I even have code for this in my other project also at my page)
                            -Multiple Skin support (changeble at runtime, easy)
                            -Visualisation (Easy -- through winamp)
                            -Improve Skins -- That is to use all the potential of the software, mixing functions, adding more info etc... You should actually be able to run Destinator (or other Apps.) in the CENTER of a screen for those who wanted a common interface for all screens. I'm just horrible with the graphics editing thing.

Hope that answers some questions.
                            I'm glad for not being so criticized for doing this..
                            Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                            "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                              I don't.
                              I don't believe you! I know the Shell function doesn't like them, try it! It gives you an "Invalid Procedure call or argument" unless you surround the path with quotes

Comment

Working...
                              X