Skins vs Gamma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skins vs Gamma

Although I'm an established Frodo user, I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have had a quick play with RR.

I'm wondering though whether it's possible (or indeed preferable) to have the option of changing to a night skin instead of altering a gamma?

I think it would be nice to hook up some sort of device that would trigger a skin or gamma change when you turned on your car lights?

I know Rando and Frodo were making steps towards a similar gadget on this thread - but the software side needs to be implemented for it to work.

Thoughts?
    A calm approach in a troubled world...
    http://www.inside-guide.co.uk/CarPC

CONSOLE_RR Project in progress...
    DC UK Forum

Originally posted by MC_Stoo
    Although I'm an established Frodo user, I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have had a quick play with RR.

I'm wondering though whether it's possible (or indeed preferable) to have the option of changing to a night skin instead of altering a gamma?

I think it would be nice to hook up some sort of device that would trigger a skin or gamma change when you turned on your car lights?

I know Rando and Frodo were making steps towards a similar gadget on this thread - but the software side needs to be implemented for it to work.

Thoughts?
    If you figure out how to get when you turn your headlights on, then you can send a command line to GammaControl
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
      If you figure out how to get when you turn your headlights on, then you can send a command line to GammaControl
      A switch attached to a resiston onto the serial port could easily do that.. then the software just needs to check the serial port pin and use the correct skin... even I know how to do that, but sounds like it could be an awfull waste of a serial port.. I also always run the headlights so that wouldn't work for me...

Origianally I thought of using the gamma function as a Day/Night skin feature.. I can still implement that.. easily.. just won't "replace" the gamma function so I'd either make it an INI option or a skin command (so you could actually do both gamma and skin switch).
      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
      "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino
        A switch attached to a resiston onto the serial port could easily do that.. then the software just needs to check the serial port pin and use the correct skin... even I know how to do that, but sounds like it could be an awfull waste of a serial port.. I also always run the headlights so that wouldn't work for me...

Origianally I thought of using the gamma function as a Day/Night skin feature.. I can still implement that.. easily.. just won't "replace" the gamma function so I'd either make it an INI option or a skin command (so you could actually do both gamma and skin switch).
        I can send a command to RR when the gamma changes
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

yea 0l33l, after I made the suggestion to you about having the different steps of gamma...I thought, Y not just use a photo cell and have gammacontrol read the value that way it would adjust the gamma according to the light the photo cell was getting, with a small delay so that if you would go under a bridge it wouldn't change right a way...

just a thought..
          RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
          Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
          Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
          RRMedia
          RRExtended
          DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Originally posted by Blue ZX3
            yea 0l33l, after I made the suggestion to you about having the different steps of gamma...I thought, Y not just use a photo cell and have gammacontrol read the value that way it would adjust the gamma according to the light the photo cell was getting, with a small delay so that if you would go under a bridge it wouldn't change right a way...

just a thought..
            Build me a USB one and send it over.
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I might look into that...I like my idea alot..just have to do some tinkering and searching and we'll see what i can come up with...has to be usb huh....

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
              Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
              RRMedia
              RRExtended
              DFXVoice

Comment

just a thought..
                That'd be real cool.. most new luxury cars have something like that for the headlights

0|33|, if the integration ever gets done, just tell me which commandS you'll send to switch the skin from day/night and I'll implement the feature..
                Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

I might look into that...I like my idea alot..just have to do some tinkering and searching and we'll see what i can come up with...has to be usb huh....
                  Well, most people already have their serial ports loaded Some new boards don't even have serial ports *cough*abit*cough*. So yeh, maybe the game port, but I'd perfer USB because I already have working COM code (I made a COM parser that gets caller ID).
                  Originally posted by guino
                  That'd be real cool.. most new luxury cars have something like that for the headlights

0|33|, if the integration ever gets done, just tell me which commandS you'll send to switch the skin from day/night and I'll implement the feature..
                  Yeh, my car has this Can't say that it works well Like when its raining, it doesn't turn on. And I'll send you a command when Gamma changes
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

well I'll get a start on it, but can't promise anything real soon as there's alot going on...and Ol33l you shoud be getting your donation soon...

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                    Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                    RRMedia
                    RRExtended
                    DFXVoice

Comment

well I'll get a start on it, but can't promise anything real soon as there's alot going on...and Ol33l you shoud be getting your donation soon...
                      Cool

What I'm thinking: have a "base" brightness which is no gamma change. Then if its brighter then you can enter a linear equation, and if its darker then you can enter a linear equation

But yeh, the photocell should have a signal that I can measure with the computer
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Lots of complicated suggestions here. Why not just trigger from a relay from when the lights are turned on? This would be switched from the lights on the dash coming on at the same time.

C!
                        http://carpc.riposte.net
                        I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

There might be some people that either drive with their lights on all the time or the car turns them on when the car is running and that would mean that the sceen would change durring the day...not what we're trying to accomplish....but thanks for the thougth..

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                          Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                          RRMedia
                          RRExtended
                          DFXVoice

Comment

An easy way is to use phidgets.. Since a lot of us use them!!!

I am having some problems with gamma control, sometimes it will cycle through 3 gamma settings!!

Comment

Originally posted by DjBac
                              An easy way is to use phidgets.. Since a lot of us use them!!!

I am having some problems with gamma control, sometimes it will cycle through 3 gamma settings!!
                              Well, if you send the switch command 3 times then it will cycle through the 3 settings.

And yeh, I'm gonna be using phidgets for my A/C control, and I'll be needing 2 boards, so I'll have some free slots for this.

Anyone wanna donate an 8/8/8 Phidgets kit?
                              GammaControl v2.4
                              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                              X